Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 911 Struts on a 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
willieg
I have a 1974 914 with standard (4) lugs. I purchased a pair of front Boge struts from a 1972 911 and the struts have 3" caliper spacing. I am in the process of acquiring more parts to convert from (4) lug to (5) lug and am looking at hubs. Does anyone know what year 911 hubs will fit these 1972 Boge struts? Does the spindle size vary from year to year? I also noticed hubs have different offsets. Is the offset on hubs like an offset on wheels, to space the wheels differently? Completely clueless....but thankful for any help.
mepstein
Any hub will fit. Spindles were the same. Wider hubs were used when wider brake calipers and rotors were used but you can add spacers behind the caliper to fit.
Nacho
QUOTE(pilothyer @ Apr 23 2021, 11:51 PM) *

PET Shows that the 914-4 and 914-6 shares the same number for that part. Auxiliary Support 90134101303 Even the early 911 except for the end number 901341013(02) which was because it was aluminum. Can you see any difference between the two you have.................just curious I guess smile.gif I remember when the "hot set-up" was to get the same part 90134101302 off of the early 911 and since it was aluminum you could shave a few pounds of weight. It bolted right in but there were no holes to bolt on the protective cover plate at the front.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...y++support++911

You will also need to change the lower ball joint if your car is a 74 and the 911 Boge struts are 72. Your current ball joints should be wedge bolt and the 911 struts pinch bolt.

Nacho
davep
There are several different hubs, the really thin ones prior to 69, the medium thickness ones from 69, some have the hub centric ring, and late ones from the SC. The medium thickness (40mm) is the ones you want. The 32 were used with non-vented rotor and suitable calipers, the 40 were used with the 20mm vented rotors, and the 47 with 24mm rotors and suitable calipers.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Nacho @ Apr 24 2021, 07:04 PM) *

PET Shows that the 914-4 and 914-6 shares the same number for that part. Auxiliary Support 90134101303 Even the early 911 except for the end number 901341013(02) which was because it was aluminum. Can you see any difference between the two you have.................just curious I guess smile.gif I remember when the "hot set-up" was to get the same part 90134101302 off of the early 911 and since it was aluminum you could shave a few pounds of weight. It bolted right in but there were no holes to bolt on the protective cover plate at the front.

You will also need to change the lower ball joint if your car is a 74 and the 911 Boge struts are 72. Your current ball joints should be wedge bolt and the 911 struts pinch bolt.

Nacho

I would have the struts converted to use the wedge type ball joint. Porsche changed the design because they had issues with the early pinch type ball joints coming loose. A lot of the early ball joint struts are wallowed out at the bottom because of this issue.

Zims (allzim.com) does the conversions. Contact @partsguy22 for more info.

BTW.. The 914-6 we have was the first ones they did. The only way to tell is to look at the bottom of the strut. The rest looks just like it came from the factory.

willieg
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Apr 24 2021, 09:00 PM) *

QUOTE(Nacho @ Apr 24 2021, 07:04 PM) *

Nacho

I would have the struts converted to use the wedge type ball joint. Porsche changed the design because they had issues with the early pinch type ball joints coming loose. A lot of the early ball joint struts are wallowed out at the bottom because of this issue.

Zims (allzim.com) does the conversions. Contact @partsguy22 for more info.

BTW.. The 914-6 we have was the first ones they did. The only way to tell is to look at the bottom of the strut. The rest looks just like it came from the factory.

The person I bought the struts from said it was from a 1972 911. The struts definitely have the wedge bolt connection, not the pinch type. Thank you for mentioning the issues with the pinch ball joints as did Nacho.
Mark Henry
What year did they stop making the 3" strut?

I have a set but the spindle takes the bigger 18mm locknut.
The area on the part numbers are rust damaged so I can't read the numbers. I'll have to look to see if it's the pinch bolt or wedge.

I'm missing the one locknut and I was told it's a later strut. I should have shown it to @davep when he was here.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.