Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Thermoswitch location
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Damo
Hi all, does anyone have a clear picture of where the thermo switch is located on a 1.7 1971. I’ve lost the position and can’t figure out where it goes. The bracket shape makes it harder to find a simple location. Any pictures would help. Thanks.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Damo @ Apr 25 2021, 08:37 AM) *

Hi all, does anyone have a clear picture of where the thermo switch is located on a 1.7 1971. I’ve lost the position and can’t figure out where it goes. The bracket shape makes it harder to find a simple location. Any pictures would help. Thanks.

Maybe I'm having a brain fart moment...do you mean Thermostat? On the case, under the 1/2 cylinders.
Head temp sensor?
Oil temp sensor?
Damo
Hi Mark. It’s the cold start ambient temperature sensor that sends a signal to the cold start valve for cold starting.
Damo
Jeff, I see the thermo switch on the diagram but I don’t see where it can go on the case/intake area. I need a photo of one bolted down if there are any out there. It gets cold here in the UK and I’ll need this for cold winter mornings
GregAmy
QUOTE(Damo @ Apr 25 2021, 09:52 AM) *

Jeff, I see the thermo switch on the diagram but I don’t see where it can go on the case/intake area.

It screws into a sheet metal tab welded to the intake plenum. It measures ambient air temperature, not engine/case temperature.
Damo
That’s the one, but I don’t see a tab for it to screw into on my plenum. That’s the problem I don’t see anywhere where it can go. Annoying as it was on the car before strip down. I’ve checked the plenum again and still no fixing point. Anyone have answers???

914werke
is it an early or late car?
There was also a bracket that bolted under that same plenum leg
does it look like this:
Damo
That’s the fella. Early 1.7 1972.
Damo
Still don’t see a fixing point on the plenum.
Damo
Click to view attachment

This is mine. The bracket defines what orientation it goes in, for the love of god I can’t see where it can go.
Damo
Click to view attachment

I’ve found this from an old thread, mine doesn’t look like this at all.
914sgofast2
Bolts to one of the engine case bolts under the plenum
Mark Henry
QUOTE(914sgofast2 @ Apr 25 2021, 05:32 PM) *

Bolts to one of the engine case bolts under the plenum

agree.gif
I'll check my '72 1.7 after I finish dinner.
davep
Post 12 shows the 2.0 engine plenum. Lots of differences between the 3 engine sizes.
Damo
Hi guys. Mine doesn’t look like it bolts to the case as there isn’t enough space for the bracket. It’s really annoying because it’s stopping me from fitting the engine. I’ll keep trying and see if any 1.7 owners can help me out.
ClayPerrine
It bolts to the right front engine tin screw that hooks the tin to the engine case near the distributor. Make sure the wire end is facing the fan end of the engine.The bracket sits to the outboard side of the screw.

Damo
Just got in from work so I’ll take a look in a while
Damo
Nope. Still can’t see how it can go there. My bracket has a 90 degree bend down that stops it from being fitted to a flat surface. If it wasn’t for the fact that this came off my engine I’d think that I have the wrong one, can anyone send me a picture or arrow it on an image of an engine, PLEASE.
Damo
I’ve just spent the last hour looking for a place where it will fit and I STILL can’t see it. Does anyone have a photo to help me out.
GregAmy
Honestly, how important is this to you? Are you doing a concourse restoration or something? Put it anywhere, it just needs to sense ambient air temp.

And if you're not driving in temps below 0C it'll never get used anyway...you can just toss it in the bin.
Damo
Greg, I’ve spent the past year rebuilding my car from bare paint up and a complete engine strip down and rebuild. Not concours but very nice condition. I don’t want to sound ungrateful to any members on here as they are always helpful. I feel that if something has a place then that is where it should be. Historically these cars have been bodged and butchered and it’s down to people like us to restore them to their former glory. We rebuild because it’s hard, difficult, rewarding work, others buy new.
bob164
I hope this helps. I was documenting things so can get them back to the correct location, hope to get there some day.Click to view attachment
Damo
QUOTE(bob164 @ Apr 27 2021, 07:17 AM) *

I hope this helps. I was documenting things so can get them back to the correct location, hope to get there some day.Click to view attachment

Thanks for the photo. I’m not sure that my bracket will fit in the small recess of the case where the bolt passes through the case halves. Your bracket looks different to mine and others, possibly been adapted to suit ??? I’ll see later today if my bracket will fit.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.