Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Poll: Deep Six or Deep Steelies
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Literati914
I keep going back and forth with which wheels I'm gonna use for my air-cooled car (my subi conversion will be running ATS cookies). I have both sets of: replica Deep Six Fuchs and Sun-bug sport steelies (just like 914 sport steelies but with a deeper lip because of the off-set). I have 5-lug converted rear hubs and would probably use adapters on front for a while (if going w/ fuchs replicas). BTW, I'm doing body work on the car(s) and can stretch the narrow-body fenders no problem... I even picked up a good set of used 205/60-15s to mount as the widest I'd go - for body work and mock up at least. I just need to pin down a plan and thought I'd get the collective opinion from world. The engine will be either a 1911 or 2056, haven't decided yet.

Literati914
Here's a pic of the Sun-bug wheels for those unfamiliar:

IPB Image

ClayPerrine
I dislike the "sun bug" steelies. To me, they look cheap.

But it is your car. Do what you want with it.

Clay
Root_Werks
Voted for Deep sixes, they look really good on a 914. No issues with sunbug rims, just like the fuchs better.
Literati914
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Apr 26 2021, 12:16 PM) *

I dislike the "sun bug" steelies. To me, they look cheap.

But it is your car. Do what you want with it.

Clay

If I go steelies, I'll have to be careful not to run over your toes at some point av-943.gif

I get your point tho.. but then I was thinking how the steelies (all be it different ones) are the ONLY wheels for a 904 for instance, IMHO. Or a 906. They do have a certain primitive charm.

IronHillRestorations
I would vote yes on early steel wheels but not X pattern. I like deep 6 Fuchs though. FWIW I have a single Fuchs if you need one
wonkipop
here is the funny thing.

no X pattern steelies on any volkswagens in australia.
factory closed in 75 or there abouts.
and they never happened here.
so an X pattern is some kind of weird cult wheel with aus vw nuts.

i get guys come up to me and compliment me on the wheels. biggrin.gif
i just kept them because i like to stay honest with a wimpo 1.8.

i like all steelies, even X patterns.
but- not so sure about wide offset, kind of lose the look if rim is offset too much,
as do all steelies?

if i had a six, and i don't and i won't, i would run porsche steelies.
hub caps on or off to suit my mood.
which is the only problem with X wheels, no hubcap option/ beer.gif
AZBanks
I've always liked regular steelies but deep like this guy sells on thesamba.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/det....php?id=1470031
BENBRO02
Use the lightest wheel. It’s nice to keep the unsprung weight down.
Literati914
Not that I don't love the Deep Sixes, I do.. but I keep thinking how they're done A LOT.

Here's a quick mock up I did.. the front is a standard 914 sport steelie, rear ET26 - and I'm liking that combo too (had just added it to the poll as an off-the-wall crazy option). These kinds of decisions suck hissyfit.gif
IPB Image
IPB Image
Literati914
QUOTE(BENBRO02 @ Apr 27 2021, 06:06 PM) *

Use the lightest wheel. It’s nice to keep the unsprung weight down.

This is what keeps me going back to the deep six replica honestly.

roblav1
What's wrong with flat Fuchs?
Literati914
QUOTE(roblav1 @ Apr 27 2021, 10:45 PM) *

What's wrong with flat Fuchs?

Not a thing, it's just that I already have the wheels in question, so I'll be using one or the other..... idea.gif .... both!! rolleyes.gif j/k

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.