Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Can this charcoal filter be refilled?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
advman89
Before I go destroying something...I watched Ian's video on refilling and this one doesn't appear to want pry open...

Click to view attachment
bdstone914
Not easily. The later plastic type have an end cap that snaps on.
advman89
yeah...there is a spot weld on one side. grrrrrrr.
type47fan
QUOTE(advman89 @ Apr 26 2021, 01:09 PM) *

Before I go destroying something...I watched Ian's video on refilling and this one doesn't appear to want pry open...

Click to view attachment

Hi,

I've got an extra, clean re-fillable charcoal canister (113 201 813 B) that you can have for $25.00 +shipping.

Click to view attachment

Link to a filling procedure:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...p;#entry2886468

Thanks,

Wayne
type47fan
914sgofast2
QUOTE(advman89 @ Apr 26 2021, 01:09 PM) *

Click to view attachment

You can't pry open the metal charcoal canisters.

But you can drill a 3/4" hole in one end; remove the old charcoal; and then re-fill it with new activated charcoal as used in fish aquariums. You then put a standard 3/4" plumbing pipe plug in the hole you drilled. There is a thread here somewhere, and maybe even a video on YouTube on how to do it by drilling a hole and refilling the charcoal canister with new charcoal. Might even be a thread in the Samba's VW 411/412 or Bug section on how to do it. All the early 1970's VW cars used the same or a similar metal body charcoal canister to what was used in our Porsche 914's before they all went to plastic canisters.
bbrock
Don't do anything with it until you have read this!!!! http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?s=&...t&p=2807286

I tried the drill trick described on the Samba and darn near ruined my canister. I then figured out how to open it up, replace the charcoal, and reseal, but it is not an easy job. Read the link above and you will see why I think the Samba trick is a bad idea and how I was able to overcome it with a LOT of work. I'm not making a recommendation one way or another. I'm just sharing my experience.
mepstein
I don't have the patience or skill of bbrock. I'm also lazy. I used a 1.5" hole saw to open a hole on the bottom, dumped out charcoal, refilled it and sealed it back up with a piece of duct tape. Once it's mounted on the gas tank, the duct tape isn't visible. !0-15 minutes.
bbrock
QUOTE(mepstein @ Apr 26 2021, 08:05 PM) *

I don't have the patience or skill of bbrock. I'm also lazy. I used a 1.5" hole saw to open a hole on the bottom, dumped out charcoal, refilled it and sealed it back up with a piece of duct tape. Once it's mounted on the gas tank, the duct tape isn't visible. !0-15 minutes.

Curious how you dealt with the sandwich of spring loaded screens and filters. That was the only problem I had with the drill method, but it was a big one. I guess with a 1.5" hole, you could probably get the springs and sandwich re-positioned before refill?
mepstein
QUOTE(bbrock @ Apr 26 2021, 11:20 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Apr 26 2021, 08:05 PM) *

Curious how you dealt with the sandwich of spring loaded screens and filters. That was the only problem I had with the drill method, but it was a big one. I guess with a 1.5" hole, you could probably get the springs and sandwich re-positioned before refill?

Yes. I don't remember the exact size of the hole saw but I was able to hold the internal pieces in place long enough to get it mostly filled and then packed some more in. I might have used something to wedge the parts in place. It was a while ago. I was thinking the next time I would use a hole saw the same size as the rubber disks that close off the holes in the front trunk.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.