Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hope this wasn't one of our members
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
brant
That sucks.

I saw it happen on the track once

And changed my mind about using a Ginther windscreen !
914-300Hemi
Very sad story
VegasRacer
QUOTE(brant @ Apr 26 2021, 05:06 PM) *

I saw it happen on the track once

I had to dodge one in a SCCA SpecRX7 Race.

I saw it coming so it was no big deal. (lucky for me.)

A rolling tire is much more predictable then a spinning car. yikes.gif

BTW: I did pass the tire thrower for position in the race. smilie_flagge24.gif
mate914
Thats so sad....
Minding there own and enjoying life.
I would like to know more about Van? Like who changed the tire last?
Who was driving it? Did they have a license and insurance?
Matt flag.gif
campbellcj
Holy crap, that's awful news! RIP. I've had close calls with really dangerous stuff on the freeway including a folding chair recently and a ladder a while back. But they were already on the ground and avoidable, luckily.
Shivers
Wow, I was about to call my brother, but then they said it was silver. His is blue. How horrible
SirAndy
I had a close call like that driving down 80 in the 914 from Oakland to Fremont.

The freeway was pretty empty (Sunday morning) and a SUV that was a couple of hundred feet ahead lost its spare tire that was bolted under the car.

I saw it come down and got stuck under the car for a second and then popped out and went way up in the air.
I slowed down and the tire came back down right in front of me and luckily bounced again and jumped right over my head.

There was nobody close behind me and i watched the wheel bounce a few more times and come to rest in the right lane. Hopefully nobody got hurt running into that.

The whole thing was so surreal, i'm sure it only took seconds but it felt like a slow motion movie.
huh.gif
sixnotfour
I got a shackle off a flat bed , into the windshield of my Truck at 75 mph,,,Luckily it hit just below the the top frame, busted a hole through, I had a hat and sunglasses , luckily,,, Like Andy said it, I saw it coming, like slow motion...
76-914
I hate to admit this but when I was 16 my L front wheel came off and I watched in horror as it headed for this white Mustang coming towards me. We were probably not going more than 15-20 because of the intersection and traffic lights. Anyway, as Andy said, my tire shot straight up in the air 20ft or so then rolled out into the middle of this field. The other driver and myself looked for damage for several minutes but found no more than a black skid mark on his chrome bumper. Because it was summer- in TX- I was barefoot and had to walk through 50 yd's of stickers in order to retrieve my wheel. Then another 20 min's on hot asphalt to install it. Yep, robbed on nut off the other 3 wheels. I was damn lucky it wasn't worse. To this day I leave the wrench or socket on the lug nut if I haven't torqued the wheel down. pray.gif
pt_700
my friend (driving) and i watched one of these slip out of it's receiver. slid along the pavement at about 50 mph, hit a crack in the road and flew up towards my face...

thankfully, his quick reactions saved the day. pity anyone who may have run it over after... way too much traffic for us to try to get it off the roadway...

Click to view attachment
mrholland2
QUOTE(pt_700 @ Apr 27 2021, 12:03 PM) *

my friend (driving) and i watched one of these slip out of it's receiver. slid along the pavement at about 50 mph, hit a crack in the road and flew up towards my face...

thankfully, his quick reactions saved the day. pity anyone who may have run it over after... way too much traffic for us to try to get it off the roadway...

Click to view attachment

There should be a law about having those things sticking out of the truck if you aren't towing something. They can fall out and they can increase damage in a collision (like if you are rear ended and pushed into one of the damned things).

Thanks for the rant time. smile.gif
pvollma
I have an even more complicated "errant wheel" story ...

Back in 1976 my wife and I were driving our 74 Carrera from Houston back to our home in New Orleans, on I10 East. Just south of Baton Rouge, we looked to the right and saw a wheel and tire bouncing down the road, passing us by on the shoulder. As we slowed a bit to watch where it was going to end up, it smashed into one of those way-tall light poles. The pole wobbled a bit, then came crashing down across all of I10E just behind us. We probably missed getting hit by only 20-30 yards. I couldn't tell if anyone behind us ran into it, but the traffic was pretty light on a Sunday, so there's a chance no one was seriously injured.

I'm glad I hadn't slowed down more than I did!
Montreal914
[/quote]

There should be a law about having those things sticking out of the truck if you aren't towing something. They can fall out and they can increase damage in a collision (like if you are rear ended and pushed into one of the damned things).

Thanks for the rant time. smile.gif
[/quote]

In Quebec there is. You are supposed to remove it when not in use. That being said... dry.gif
Lucky9146
How about a a drive shaft out of a semi coming through your van and almost hitting my wife..................

Yes, my wife was in that front seat and it just barely passed over her head, literally.

Click to view attachment

This was the projectile that we never saw. We did not know what happened at first. All we knew was there was a big hole in the windshield a lot of glass and wind.

Click to view attachment

My 25 year old daughter was directly behind me or had she been behind my wife it may have hit her coming right through the van and taking out the back window and tweaking the crap out of the door.

Click to view attachment

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.