Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rebuild now this
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Wew
Hi all,

Rebuild complete, or so I thought.
Fired it up and makes this very old ticking sound.
Any idea of the source or similar experience, please share.

Thanks

https://youtu.be/wAMAwLmvujI

2056 with aggressive cam grind , but within spec not to make any changes and keep stock fuel injection.

1.7 rockers with elephant feet.

Had local shop balance push rods. Only measured one rod at halfway point and cut all the rest to that length. Used valve adjust screw to make up the rest. Said he set at zero lash.

This clip was from the 20 minute break in and the clacking increased and decreased with the rpm’s
Beebo Kanelle
The YouTube video is listed as "Private"
Wew
Thank you for the heads up.
I think I fixed it.

Thanks,

Gary
76-914
Was it a rocker arm hitting the valve cover?
Wew
That's what I think.

I am bumbed the volkwagon shop did not do near the detailed required work to set the rockers up properly.

Basically he said he found one at the half value or balance, then cut the rest to match that length.

He used the valve adjustment screws then to get things to zero lash..

I should have sucked it up and kept working with the dial to figure it out.

I may end up doing that anyway, as I have two leaks, one at the oil cooler and a second at one of the pushrod rod tubes.

They did the push rod tubes and I bought the oil cooler from them.

He does a lot of mixing and matching with parts as they are primarily a volkswagen shop but clearly are the most familiar with aircooled engine in my parts.
The oil cooler didn't fit correctly and I had to grind down the nipple on the opening at the point in order to get the stud to clear it so I could get the nut on it.

Again my bad, I should have just bought something online from a trusted 914 source.

I would appreciate a few more listens from folks and get your feedback on the noise as well.

If it is the rockers hitting the covers, then what are the remedy options?

Much appreciated for the input and advice.

Gary

Mark Henry
Real 911 adjusters the threaded end is too long, I cut them down and cut a new slot. I hope the rockers were clearanced.

If the adjuster is hitting the VC you can see it slightly wiggle as it turns over.
Wew
Hi Mark,

Thanks for the input.

Yes the rockers were clearanced.

I haven't had the chance to take off the valve covers to give it a look.

Based on what you heard in the video, do you think it sounds like the rockers hitting the covers?

I asked the guy who did the rockers if he shimmed them and he couldn't remember. hmmm.

Also, I am considering the deeper valve covers (4" deep) to remedy the rockers hitting the covers. I have read nothing good about these so far.

Is there anyone who has had a positive experience using these or is there and alternative that is more like the oem but give you the breathing room for the increased travel?

Thanks again,

Gary

p.s. How long should the motor be smoking after the initial breakin. I got a lot of white smoke and you can see that coming out of the exhaust
Shivers
A friend had a noise develop right at break in. One of the swivel foot tappets failed, and the tappet (what was left) was beating the top of the valve stem. Sounded like that.
76-914
If it is a rocker it is just one that is hitting. Pull your valve cover's -I suspect the R side- and look for a shiny round spot inside the cover. I had that happen when about 10yr's ago. To clearance it I just gave the cover a hard tap on the shiny spot with a ballpeen hammer. beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.