Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 993 Heater Boxes on a 914-6
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Root_Werks
The 1975 914-6 Conversion I bought just over a year ago has....had 993 heater boxes with Cats. The heat worked great, no complaints there.

Decided since I'm running essentially a stock HP 2.7 with CIS, put original 914-6 heater boxes back on.

These clearly required some modification to work on a 914 including having the passenger side flanges clocked differently. It took some time to wiggle a wrench or socket to remove the nuts on that side.

Here we go, some pictures!

Root_Werks
Installed still, shows how the tubes and flapper install:

Root_Werks
Closer shot showing the modification. Looks like they used exhaust pipe from a local parts store:

Root_Werks
Other side, note how the holes don't line up with the flanges. This made it very challenging to remove. Two of the nuts were almost impossible to get to even with special tools:

Root_Werks
Shot with the Cats.

Will say if you have a 1975 914, live in CA and want a Six, this worked for the guy. It sounded great, nice and quiet and very classic six sound.

aturboman
I converted a set of those for a 914-6 hot rod, verified they fit, but sadly never ran them.

Cool to see someone else had the same idea and that they actually work.

They are really well made and flow excellent so it think its a great choice for a 6 conversion with a larger engine.

Root_Werks
Been told the tubes are 1 5/8" which is good, but not equal length.

Dunno what I'm going to do with them. I'm migrating back to stock 914-6 boxes.

Will say the heat worked really well, flowed very nice. The guys welds aren't the cleanest, but the system worked well.
mepstein
The prior owner did this on a 3.2 I purchased. I’m not a fan and they were removed.
Root_Werks
QUOTE(mepstein @ Apr 27 2021, 08:20 AM) *

The prior owner did this on a 3.2 I purchased. I’m not a fan and they were removed.

The guy certainly gets an A for effort, but agree with you, going back to stock 914-6 boxes. My 2.7 with CIS is only 175hp and essentially stock. 1 1/2" pipes should be fine.

With cats, they weigh only a bit more than stock 914'6 HE's. He also fabbed up a bracket to use straps to hang the muffler. I'm not using any of that, just reverting back to all 914-6 stuff.
mb911
The 993 heat exchanger is a pretty good design and more ideal for a turbo application. Had them on my turbo. Great heat but man that setup is a bit rough. I still like them though. Not equal length and thats the big problem.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.