Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: speedo stopped working
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dt4
I took the car for its longest trip to date at the weekend, about a 150 mile round trip
At the halfway point we took a break before setting off back home
I noticed straight away that the speedo had stopped working along with the trip meter and milometer
looking under the dash the cable looks to be still connected at the back of the gauge, I am unsure where the cable connects to the gear box, is there a diagram around that shows this?
also is there a way of testing the cable to rule that out or is it likely to be a problem with the gauge itself or the gearbox?
Shivers
There is a jacketed cable that runs to the tail of the trans. See if that came loose. You can also disconnect the cable from the back of the gauge and try to rotate the cable. If it is connected and not broken, you should not be able to rotate the inner cable much.
dt4
I found that the connection to the angle drive on the gear box was loose so hoped that was the cause
I jacked the car up and put it onto axle stands then disconnected the cable at the gearbox and ran the car in first gear and could see the angle drive rotating so that looks ok
I reconnected the angle drive and cable and ran the car in second gear whilst on the axle stands but the speedo still didnt work
I then disconnected the cable at the speedo and did the same again, the cable didnt rotate suggesting the cable is at fault
I will reconnect it all and take for a road test and if the speedo doesnt register I will first replace the cable

The cables are stupidly expensive in the UK, so I may order from the US
dt4
BillJ very generously got me a new cable and added it so some parts that I was buying from him and shipped the lot over last month
I fitted the new speedo cable and all seemed good on a run to a car show today.
I covered about 50 miles to the show and the speedo and odometer worked great.
On he return journey the speedo worked fine but the odometer stopped clocking the miles and the trip meter stopped working also

any ideas why the speedo works but the odometer has stopped?
is it the gauge itself?
gandalf_025
I have the same issue with the wife’s 911.
I’m told you have to replace at least 1 plastic gear
inside the speedo..
Not cheap, but I have to get it done before my next State Safety Inspection
at the end of July..
bandjoey
https://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/M...auge_repair.htm

this might help
914sgofast2
QUOTE(dt4 @ Jun 20 2021, 09:18 AM) *

BillJ very generously got me a new cable and added it so some parts that I was buying from him and shipped the lot over last month
I fitted the new speedo cable and all seemed good on a run to a car show today.
I covered about 50 miles to the show and the speedo and odometer worked great.
On he return journey the speedo worked fine but the odometer stopped clocking the miles and the trip meter stopped working also

any ideas why the speedo works but the odometer has stopped?
is it the gauge itself?

Sure sounds like it is the gauge itself, especially if the needle still works to indicate your speed. Can’t be the cable if the needle is working!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.