Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Plastic tubing from charcoal canister that runs through rocker
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
john77
I'm almost finished flaring my car and when I removed the tubes from the charcoal canister that thread through the rocker supports back into the engine bay the old brittle plastic pretty much disintegrated in my hands.

I'm assuming I can use any similar ODi plastic tubing, does anyone have any suggestions on what they've used to replace this?

And, do they really need to thread all the way underneath the rocker into the engine bay?

I'm guessing they routed them that way so any fumes were released behind the cabin rather than in front of it, so the driver didn't get a lung full.

But given I never drive with my roof on I'm not too bothered about that, so other than that, are there any cons to me running much shorter tubes into the front fender and terminating them there?
JeffBowlsby
The two tubes on the early cars circulate engine fan powered air to/from the charcoal canister mounted above the fuel tank. Terminating them in the fender well does nothing.

Another solution would be to mount the canister in the engine bay like the mid-74-76 cars did, but you will need a small diameter tube running through the center tunnel to carry fuel vapor to the engine bay make a functional system.
Mikey914
I have the tubing and the factory hoses needed to replace back to the engine compartment. All 10 hoses $64 fits any car with charcoal canister in the front. Shown as 1-10 Plastic shown in gray
Neatly packaged and labeled.
Just starting to go into production on these but if you call Kenzie at the office she can get it out.
Mark
john77
My car's a 73 that was converted into a 6, which makes sense of why they went nowhere now you've explained what they're there for... at least I think.

On my car they were just routed into my engine bay and connected to nothing.

Does that mean I can delete them all together?

QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ Apr 27 2021, 02:09 PM) *

The two tubes on the early cars circulate engine fan powered air to/from the charcoal canister mounted above the fuel tank. Terminating them in the fender well does nothing.

Another solution would be to mount the canister in the engine bay like the mid-74-76 cars did, but you will need a small diameter tube running through the center tunnel to carry fuel vapor to the engine bay make a functional system.

ClayPerrine
QUOTE(john77 @ Apr 27 2021, 11:25 PM) *

My car's a 73 that was converted into a 6, which makes sense of why they went nowhere now you've explained what they're there for... at least I think.

You should hook them back up. It will keep the fuel smell down.

Hook one of the tubes to the fan shroud on the six, the other one into the air cleaner. And you have to hook them up correctly. The airflow through the canister has to go the right way.

Clay

bob
Does anyone have a picture where the tube terminates on an original 914-6 ? (all the California sixes I've seen had the canister, but I don't recall how it terminated in the engine compartment)

john77
Thanks @ClayPerrine

I'll have to wait until I'm back in front of my car to check this out.

Does anyone have pictures of these connections on a 6?

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Apr 28 2021, 08:32 AM) *

QUOTE(john77 @ Apr 27 2021, 11:25 PM) *

You should hook them back up. It will keep the fuel smell down.

Hook one of the tubes to the fan shroud on the six, the other one into the air cleaner. And you have to hook them up correctly. The airflow through the canister has to go the right way.

Clay

moldygreg
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Apr 27 2021, 02:40 PM) *

I have the tubing and the factory hoses needed to replace back to the engine compartment. All 10 hoses $64 fits any car with charcoal canister in the front. Shown as 1-10 Plastic shown in gray
Neatly packaged and labeled.
Just starting to go into production on these but if you call Kenzie at the office she can get it out.
Mark

@mikey914 --- ^ emailed you today and Mackenzie says you don't carry the above. Is this correct?
Mikey914
Kind of. Yes I’ve been building “early” expansion tank with charcoal canister in the front. They are just not listed up yet.
Mark
SirAndy
QUOTE(john77 @ Apr 27 2021, 09:25 PM) *

Don't ...

Deleting the expansion tank and charcoal canister from my car was the single most stupidest thing i've ever done to my car. And i've done a few stupid things to it.

Without a working evap system, every time you have more than 1/2 a tank of gas, the fumes from the overflow will go straight into the cabin. Enough to make you and your passenger nauseous every time you turn a corner.
icon8.gif barf.gif
willieg
I used 3/8” aluminum tubing, purchased from Summit Racing. Easy to bend and I ran the lines through the rocker panels to the engine bay.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.