Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Heat Exchangers and Exhaust
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
solex
Hello, I have a 75 2.0L all smog equipment has been removed my heat exchangers are pretty banged up with a few punctures, and am thinking about back-dating my exhaust system, but not sure if it is worth it.

My first thought is that the SS will last longer but in reality my car will rarely see bad weather. The question then is what are the advantages of back dating are the earlier heat exchangers more efficient? What is involved in parts for back dating? If I do keep the later style heat exchangers can I get a muffler without a CAT?

Your thougths would be appreciated.

Dan
double-a
i just did this. i backdated to ss exchangers and used a bursch muffler with no cat. it's fairly easy, but you need the right parts. a search of the forums will yield a list (by dave darling i think) of the necessary heater parts.

backdating is supposed to give a little hp boost, and i can understand that considering the extremely poor design of the late exchangers.

~a

p.s. see my progress thread if you want good pics of all the stuff you'll need. i got everything from rich at hph.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (solex @ Jul 21 2005, 10:13 AM)
My first thought is that the SS will last longer but in reality my car will rarely see bad weather.
Your thougths would be appreciated.

most exhaust rots from the inside out, especially if the car is used for short trips where the exhaust doesn't have a chance to get HOT.

ideally, the only two products of gasoline combustion are carbon dioxide and WATER. lots of water.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.