Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The 914 In The COVID-19 World
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Ansbacher
Just wanted to get opinions as to what the effects the COVID pandemic has had on the 914 scene and collector cars in general. Is the average 914 better or worse for languishing in garages across the country with few car events or other incentives to go for a drive? Are 914 prices up or down in this environment? Are owners losing interest in their cars, having few opportunities to get on the road and interact with other owners? Just wondering what the consensus is. Input welcome.

Ansbacher
Big Len
Got the vax and ready to go, but still had a great 2020 driving season.
aggiezig
I think the 914 has been appreciating as a classic for a few solid years now. When folks like Hagerty and Magnus Walker start giving attention to these quirky little cars, demand tends to go up.

As for COVID, classic car prices are up across the board as are many other commodities in this economy (but hey, the fed says inflation is a nominal 1.3%). I've seen some 914-4s go for good money if they are clean. Lots of "average" cars in the $20-30k bucket. Projects in the $5-10k bucket. These are asking prices and most folks that are familiar with the car and community tend to underprice the retail market IMHO.

If you think about that, an "average" 914 is bringing 8-10 years ago "average" 911 SC / 3.2 money. Kind of crazy to think about. Not sure where the madness will end, if it will end. With the big push for EVs, enthusiasts are grasping at these types of cars while they are still able to easily enjoy them.

As for me personally, COVID has been a great excuse to keep working on my 914 restoration as well as a few other car projects.
Mark Henry
As for for driving my teen winter is still a bigger bummer than covid.
wonkipop
QUOTE(Ansbacher @ Apr 27 2021, 08:57 PM) *

Just wanted to get opinions as to what the effects the COVID pandemic has had on the 914 scene and collector cars in general. Is the average 914 better or worse for languishing in garages across the country with few car events or other incentives to go for a drive? Are 914 prices up or down in this environment? Are owners losing interest in their cars, having few opportunities to get on the road and interact with other owners? Just wondering what the consensus is. Input welcome.

Ansbacher

mate, there was never a better time for driving the 914 (or my other cars) during the world's longest lockdown here in melbourne aus.

but i had work permits to drive as i am self employed as a creative type going to building sites. i can't even begin to describe some of the drives i had through a deserted city.
beautiful - beyond belief. (and probably never to be repeated?)

now post the lockdown, i am more cautious. there are more cars out on the road than ever ---- and the general driving is not so good, behaviour wise.

i don't think covid will have any impact on 914 values. its a car outside of conventional collector car definitions and always has been. (whatever haggerty and the rest say).
if you are buying it for investment values its all the wrong reasons?

electrification of cars will be the game changer and its coming.....
then we will find out what any of them are worth.
i suspect a lot less than current numbers.
mate914
Only the very poor suffered. The rich got richer last your!?
The 914 was for the poor man. Being poor does not make a person bad or dumb.
As we the people/peasant get poorer. The 914 becomes untouchable.
Always were two shirts, so you have an extra to give someone in need....
Matt flag.gif

mate914

Electric cars suck... Hit a deer and after your $250 deductible you will owe $25000 for battery replacement. Hit any thing in electric car and the car kills the battery so you don't burn up. They are here because government took tax money and gave to who ever shouted green the loudest.
Matt beerchug.gif

tvdinnerbythepool
I have had a LOT of extra time at home to work on my car, drive it, appreciate it! (Aviation took quite headbang.gif smash.gif headbang.gif smash.gif ) And from the local ads in the PNW, prices appear to continue to increase... not quite at the pace of homes around here, but still looking good for the fleet.
VaccaRabite
Investment wise, Covid caused used cars to spike in price - and that has bled into classics.

Fun wise - its a 2 seat sportscar. No one is in it that you are not used to sharing air with anyway, and you are probably going to be driving solo for fun.

Zach
Olympic 914
QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ Apr 28 2021, 09:35 AM) *

Fun wise - its a 2 seat sportscar. No one is in it that you are not used to sharing air with anyway, and you are probably going to be driving solo for fun

agree.gif Definitely this.
Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(mate914 @ Apr 28 2021, 04:28 AM) *

This is very true. My kids, 9 and 12, will live in a world with mostly electric cars. The good news is many classics will live on indefinitely, just with electric guts.

Gas will become less available and eventually will mean having a special permit for operating a gas car, either a classic or a race car. But everything else will be phased out through legislation, big trucks, delivery cars, cop cars, etc.
wonkipop
QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Apr 28 2021, 09:31 AM) *

QUOTE(mate914 @ Apr 28 2021, 04:28 AM) *

This is very true. My kids, 9 and 12, will live in a world with mostly electric cars. The good news is many classics will live on indefinitely, just with electric guts.

Gas will become less available and eventually will mean having a special permit for operating a gas car, either a classic or a race car. But everything else will be phased out through legislation, big trucks, delivery cars, cop cars, etc.

"having a special permit for operating a gas car"/

you nailed it. already there are morally vain voices casting fuel cars as evil in aus.
they are just going to get louder.

as to fuel, synthetic or bio fuel will still be a possibility.
but the real problem will be getting a permit to run the car and obtain the carbon dioxide credits?
mind you, i am fairly certain i will be dead before that hard-arsed final moment happens.

bkrantz
Just a personal view, but having my 914 restoration project to work on last year was a boost to my morale and sanity. I do think I got in deeper since I had the time (and not spending money on other things, like travel).
Sycolyst
The pandemic along with a recent retirement allowed me to spend more time working on my 74 restoration. In fact, I completed the car ahead of schedule and had the opportunity to dig in farther than I most likely would have. Now it's time to get out and drive this street legal go cart and meet other teeners.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.