Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Porsche’s new e fuel
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
PanelBilly
Really this is a Siemen’s project with Porsche’s help. I can’t believe we aren’t hearing more news about this. Every few days I read another story about what their doing and this is a great alternative to fossil fuel.
mate914
Wow... That's cool... Just think a 914 could produce no byproduct and be as efficient as a EV? piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif
rick 918-S
It is going to take fossil fuel to recharge it. Unless you have a current bush in your yard. LOL
mbseto
If this lives up to its promise, EV cars will end up being just a stepping stone.
PanelBilly
They say this is the fuel that will bridge the gap to all electric. CO2 is used n the manufacturing process but the same volume of it that goes into the fuel is in the exhaust when it’s burnt.
Mark Henry
We'll see, synthetic fuel is nothing new, the Germans did it during ww2. The problem has always been can they make it in large enough quantities and for a reasonable price.
PanelBilly
The plan is to produce enough to run every factory racecar next year and double that the following year.
mbseto
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Apr 28 2021, 10:50 PM) *

We'll see, synthetic fuel is nothing new, the Germans did it during ww2. The problem has always been can they make it in large enough quantities and for a reasonable price.

If it is good enough to replace gasoline, economy of scale will take care of the rest.
mrholland2
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Apr 28 2021, 08:00 PM) *

The plan is to produce enough to run every factory racecar next year and double that the following year.

Not that I'm nuts, but this post made me think of "Cars 2"
Shivers
They want to have 130,000 liters by 2022. It will take more than a couple companies to make a dent for the general public. Someone big should look into this. When the Tesla's came out, I thought about all those hoverboards, laptops and cell phones that have spontaneously combusted. A couple celebrities burn up, they'll be looking for alternatives
PanelBilly
Siemens is BIG
JmuRiz
Hopefully it works and scales correctly. Working the angle of racing as a proving ground is a great tactic. Fingers crossed
bretth
Sounds really interesting but find it a little hard to believe. Even burning wood makes emissions of one sort or another. I hope it works.
mgp4591
Mix the synthetic fuel with a simple EV conversion at the clutch pack and you'd have the best of both worlds...electric around town and more real performance out on the open road. I've always like the idea that at 918 has 900hp and get 85mgp!
wonkipop
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Apr 28 2021, 08:50 PM) *

yes, the germans made it out of coal. fairly low octane, around 85.
hence the superchargers on the messerschmitts. but they could still make it,
and give the naturally aspirated spitfires on high octane av gas a real run for their money.

a mate of mine who is a hydraulic engineer and loves to tinker manufactured his own bio fuel out of his apricot orchard and ran his 74 alfa gtv on it. that was 20 years ago. he had a still set up. i should ask him how he did it. he is still around. i think he runs a big chevy impala on his own biofuel at the moment.

the germans also invented butyl as a synthetic rubber at the same time, same problem, no real rubber supplies in WW2.

-------------

the burning battery problem is very interesting in the teslas.
also the idea that the battery is a dead unit after 10 years at max (less under a lot of scenarios).
bigger replacement cost than a rebuilt engine? junks the car?
that and their full plastic interiors for light weight (which is what makes them burn fiercely?), the battery fire is more of a slow smoulder issue that takes about 24 hours to go out in worst case scenerios).

here in aus, we will definitely need range extender options due to the incredible distances we have to travel, think marfa in far flung texas and you have the picture. the rotary engine may yet resurface as the generator unit. that would make sense, felix was ahead of his time.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.