Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fuchs wheel lug nuts covers/caps?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DC_neun_vierzehn
I have a clean set of stock silver Fuchs (4x130) that I will be keeping that way as long as I own my 914. Unpolished, unpainted.

However, I have another set of Fuchs (also 4x130) that I recently acquired that I'm getting cleaned up and painted black like the pic below I found online. The center caps will be painted black as well. But I don't want to paint my lug nuts (as I'm sure they would look beat up as soon as the wheels were installed by the socket).

Thus, I'm wondering if anybody has found any lug nut covers/caps that would snap on to the stock Fuchs lug nuts. Obviously I would be looking for black caps or have to paint the caps black to match the wheels.

Thanks in advance.
Mark Henry
I have ebay black covers, 19mm, came with little puller tool IIRC about $20 for a set of 20, but that was severial years ago. They have an odd mushroom like head for the puller, I didn't like them in the package, I remember complaining about them at the time but once on the wheel they look acceptable.
WCM had a nicer looking cap for the VW's but they self distructed every time you pulled them.
Montreal914
Probably Beetle plastic caps would work idea.gif

These are what I am referring to:

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Mark Henry
These ones, get the set of 40 then you have lots of spares.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/222193684574?_trkp...0.c100930.m5375
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Montreal914 @ Apr 28 2021, 12:12 PM) *

Probably Beetle plastic caps would work idea.gif

These are what I am referring to:

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Those are the ones that self distruct, get 2 sets so you have spares. There's also two different head styles, acorn and plain, and you can get them in black or chrome finish.
914Sixer
Here you go for bolts, only the head is 17mm not 19mm. Correct fit for stock alloy wheels. click to open
Montreal914
Mark, aren't these for 17mm? confused24.gif
914Sixer
Bolt Head is 17 mm. Length and shaft are same as stock
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Montreal914 @ Apr 28 2021, 12:21 PM) *

Mark, aren't these for 17mm? confused24.gif

Is that the link I posted ? GD tablet...I'll post from my PC.
DC_neun_vierzehn
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Apr 28 2021, 10:20 AM) *

Here you go for bolts, only the head is 17mm not 19mm. Correct fit for stock alloy wheels. click to open

The image wasn't linked. Can you kindly share the link?
DC_neun_vierzehn
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Apr 28 2021, 10:17 AM) *

These ones, get the set of 40 then you have lots of spares.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/222193684574?_trkp...0.c100930.m5375

These look perfect actually.
rhodyguy
Carry a tiny screwdriver in the glovebox. You'll need one if you get a flat and don't have the specialty tool to remove the caps. PITA to remove at times. Esp on the side of the road with cars whizzing by. BTDT. The plastic caps are useless for lug removal. Then they get ruined when you try. Then they ALL go in the garbage. BTDT.
Root_Werks
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Apr 28 2021, 09:40 AM) *

Carry a tiny screwdriver in the glovebox. You'll need one if you get a flat and don't have the specialty tool to remove the caps. PITA to remove at times. Esp on the side of the road with cars whizzing by. BTDT. The plastic caps are useless for lug removal. Then they get ruined when you try. Then they ALL go in the garbage. BTDT.

How the heck are you removing the caps buddy? Have them on my Bugs and use a little plyers with no teeth. Works great, just wiggle back and forth a little as you gently pull. 2-3 seconds, the cap is off, no damage.
914Sixer
Those are whole bolt set, NOT plastic caps.
Mark Henry
They are 19mm on my fuchs, 5 Bolt (nuts) and 4 bolt. confused24.gif

For the caps try this:
https://www.google.com/search?q=ebay+plasti...DCA4&uact=5
rhodyguy
Ok. Carry a pair of smooth faced pliers in the glove box. I have never seen a pair of pliers with no teeth buddy. Where do I buy a pair pal? Thing is, the caps for the 19mm headed bolts are a real tight fit. So grab that softer than the pliers plastic with the toothless pliers, squzee hard, wiggle and pull at the same time. I would buy 2 sets of the caps so replacements are close at hand

A better solution is re-anodize the long 19mm headed lugs and use a soft socket.
JamesJ
I had my lug bolts cerakoted and have the same issue.
@rhodyguy "A better solution is re-anodize the long 19mm headed lugs and use a soft socket."
By soft socket do you mean one with a liner in it or a soft metal socket? Where to purchase?
The only protective sockets I have found have plastic sleeves on the outside to protect the rim, but not the lug bolt head. I thought of just running a single layer of electrical tape or white medical tape on the outside of the lug bolt for removal/installation.
DC_neun_vierzehn
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Apr 28 2021, 11:03 AM) *

Those are whole bolt set, NOT plastic caps.

Understood. Was looking to check them out, but the image was not linked to eBay as you suggested.
DC_neun_vierzehn
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Apr 28 2021, 12:18 PM) *

They are 19mm on my fuchs, 5 Bolt (nuts) and 4 bolt. confused24.gif

For the caps try this:
https://www.google.com/search?q=ebay+plasti...DCA4&uact=5

Got it (19mm is the cap fit). Thank you.
Rob-O
QUOTE(JamesJ @ Apr 28 2021, 12:10 PM) *

@rhodyguy "A better solution is re-anodize the long 19mm headed lugs and use a soft socket."
By soft socket do you mean one with a liner in it or a soft metal socket? Where to purchase?
The only protective sockets I have found have plastic sleeves on the outside to protect the rim, but not the lug bolt head. I thought of just running a single layer of electrical tape or white medical tape on the outside of the lug bolt for removal/installation.

Zims Autotechnik has soft sockets. The inner portion is soft (well, softer than steel). Ask for Aaron.
JamesJ
Thank you @Rob-O . I'll give Aaron a call tomorrow.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Rob-O @ Apr 28 2021, 05:52 PM) *

QUOTE(JamesJ @ Apr 28 2021, 12:10 PM) *

Zims Autotechnik has soft sockets. The inner portion is soft (well, softer than steel). Ask for Aaron.

FYI... it is WWW.ALLZIM.COM. And Aaron is on here as @partsguy22 .

Clay
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.