Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: CW Heads up - More 914 Porsche Classic Parts Now
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tom_T
CWs & others who want new Porsche parts for your 914s -

Another member posted about wanting the top center rear anodized roll-bar trim, & that prompted me to not only let him know that Porsche Classic is making & selling that part again, but they've got a lot of other 914 parts available new now.

If you want a new one - then Porsche Classic is making them again - contact your local/closest Porsche Classic P-dealer with the part number & order it.

914 Roll-bar Top Center "Chrome" Anodized Trim Piece:
https://content.us.porsche.com/prod/pag/Cla...1258432002C053D

> Sunset Porsche in OR, Suncoast Porsche in FL, & Hennessey Porsche in GA may give you the best pricing, if you want to have it shipped.

This is also a heads-up for all the CWs out there that this & a bunch of other 914 parts are out & more coming from Porsche Classic, if you look further around from that link above, or at the 914 model area link below. type.gif

Porsche Classics - Parts - 914:
https://content.us.porsche.com/prod/pag/cla...onal&se=914

It's well worth your parts hunting time to look at Porsche Classic from time to time to see what they've got, & what they'll have coming soon!
shades.gif

Not to put our great NOS, Repro & Restored/Reconditioned & Used Parts Member Vendors out of business - but for those who want "Genuine Porsche" parts new - there is a lot more out there, as Porsche Classics gears up for 914 parts in the past 2-3 years.

For example other long NLA parts back again:

L & R Speaker Pods:
https://content.us.porsche.com/prod/pag/Cla...125859200357AB7

https://content.us.porsche.com/prod/pag/Cla...12585920035AC3C

L & R Door Cards in Black:
https://content.us.porsche.com/prod/pag/Cla...12580F7003C4A4A

L/R Triangle Window Caps:
https://content.us.porsche.com/prod/pag/Cla...12584BF00419D4F

Rear Trunk Top Latch/Plunger:
https://content.us.porsche.com/prod/pag/Cla...12580EA002BD92F

Front Trunk Main Seal:
https://content.us.porsche.com/prod/pag/Cla...12580EA002C958B

Trans Sideshift Rear Cover:
https://content.us.porsche.com/prod/pag/Cla...12580F7003C446B

L & R Chrome Foglight Grills:
https://content.us.porsche.com/prod/pag/Cla...12581BF003EA263

drooley.gif first.gif aktion035.gif

You get the idea from these few samples above.

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
914Sixer
Be careful, even though parts will say Porsche, MOST are made by Dansk. Go to Dansk website and look at what they offer.
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Apr 28 2021, 01:01 PM) *

Be careful, even though parts will say Porsche, MOST are made by Dansk. Go to Dansk website and look at what they offer.

exactly , OR other contracted vendors, which would make them just an expensive but not really oe part. Quality-wise with regard to rubber or plastic the factory will not make a better part than 914rubber from what i have seen so far. Heck, they should contract with 914rubber to supply some of these "classic" parts! i did get some of my targa trim pieces from local Porsche parts, only because they were not available anywere else at the same time,
Tom_T
Mark & Dr. Phil - what you're saying is nothing new!

Even Porsche Classics' 356, 911/912/912E/930, 993, 986, 996, etc. parts on that website are made by "contracted vendors" as Dr. Phil said - as is the case with 90% of parts in ANY manufacturers' new cars & used cars' parts support. That is the way that the auto industry has worked for over 100 years.

Yes I've seen which 914 parts are produced by Dansk/JP at their website. I've also seen Bosch, OSRAM & other OEM's websites' 914 related parts at their respective websites as well.

Keep in mind that mostly ALL of the Genuine Porsche 914 parts were made by OEM manufacturers back in 1969-76 - even the 914s themselves from Karmann/VW, including Bosch, Leistritz, Bischoff, Meyle, etc., etc.

Dansk happens to be one of Porsche's current approved & contracted OEMs - for example neither Bischoff nor Leistritz are no longer around to produce mufflers, so Dansk does so.

Also Dansk/JP's "upgrade" to taking over SSI HEs - vs. factory mild steel HEs is an improvement. I doubt that many 914ers would opt for NOS or new Porsche Classic mild stell HE's for about the same price or more today - knowing the durability & safety (carbon-monoxide) issues with the old school factory mild steel HEs.

OEMs still have to produce to Porsche Specs now, as they did originally from 1969 up to the 1990s when Porsche stopped supporting 914 parts. As such, they also carry the Porsche parts guaranty - but which direct sales from their OEMs may not have any or a shorter warranty.

Dr. Phil - some of the Porsche Classic rubber & plastic parts are not available from 914Rubber, Stoddards, SMC, etc., & I've not heard of nor experienced any issues with the Porsche Classic parts as you say. However, it's always worth checking on all alternatives.

Many Repro parts are as good or better than the originals - since some of our own Member Vendors like 914Rubber tend to improve the design &/or materials - rather than others who tend to produce to a price point & profit margin, manufacture in China/Asia/etc. - like URO.

NOS parts are fine when available, & where they're not something subject to aging damage (e.g.: electrical parts), & as you know personally - I've purchased a fair number of NOS parts from you & others on here.

So I'm not knocking NOS, OEMs nor other Repro Sources like 914Rubber, SMC, Stoddard, etc. - and let's not make this topic into a members/vendors vs. Porsche Classic debate. This is not a call to defend 914Ruber nor any other member vendor on here. shades.gif

It's simply an information resource for additional 914 parts.

I'm simply bringing another 914 new parts source to 914world members, which happens to be Porsche Classic, with their Genuine Porsche warranty & quality requirements.

After so many years of Porsche ignoring our 914s - over 911/912/930 & 356/Speedster models instead - we should be happy that Porsche Classics is finally making the effort to support our 914s too! piratenanner.gif

Folks can make their own decisions on the parts, sources, quality, etc. - but the experience with them so far with the resto shops that I know has been very good.

And even our members who have/had their own resto shops like Rick, have posted on here that even the old school original new & NOS Porsche parts sometimes required some tweaking &/or adjustments to fit properly on a particular 914.

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

Mikey914
They may have them in stock. The price you pay will be different from the vendor. You will pay a premium for the name.
Tom_T
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Apr 28 2021, 10:33 AM) *

They may have them in stock. The price you pay will be different from the vendor. You will pay a premium for the name.

And for the Porsche 12 months parts guaranty!

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Apr 28 2021, 02:30 PM) *

Mark & Dr. Phil - what you're saying is nothing new!

Even Porsche Classics' 356, 911/912/912E/930, 993, 986, 996, etc. parts on that website are made by "contracted vendors" as Dr. Phil said - as is the case with 90% of parts in ANY manufacturers' new cars & used cars' parts support. That is the way that the auto industry has worked for over 100 years.

Yes I've seen which 914 parts are produced by Dansk/JP at their website. I've also seen Bosch, OSRAM & other OEM's websites' 914 related parts at their respective websites as well.

Keep in mind that mostly ALL of the Genuine Porsche 914 parts were made by OEM manufacturers back in 1969-76 - even the 914s themselves from Karmann/VW, including Bosch, Leistritz, Bischoff, Meyle, etc., etc.

Dansk happens to be one of Porsche's current approved & contracted OEMs - for example neither Bischoff nor Leistritz are no longer around to produce mufflers, so Dansk does so.

Also Dansk/JP's "upgrade" to taking over SSI HEs - vs. factory mild steel HEs is an improvement. I doubt that many 914ers would opt for NOS or new Porsche Classic mild stell HE's for about the same price or more today - knowing the durability & safety (carbon-monoxide) issues with the old school factory mild steel HEs.

OEMs still have to produce to Porsche Specs now, as they did originally from 1969 up to the 1990s when Porsche stopped supporting 914 parts. As such, they also carry the Porsche parts guaranty - but which direct sales from their OEMs may not have any or a shorter warranty.

Dr. Phil - some of the Porsche Classic rubber & plastic parts are not available from 914Rubber, Stoddards, SMC, etc., & I've not heard of nor experienced any issues with the Porsche Classic parts as you say. However, it's always worth checking on all alternatives.

Many Repro parts are as good or better than the originals - since some of our own Member Vendors like 914Rubber tend to improve the design &/or materials - rather than others who tend to produce to a price point & profit margin, manufacture in China/Asia/etc. - like URO.

NOS parts are fine when available, & where they're not something subject to aging damage (e.g.: electrical parts), & as you know personally - I've purchased a fair number of NOS parts from you & others on here.

So I'm not knocking NOS, OEMs nor other Repro Sources like 914Rubber, SMC, Stoddard, etc. - and let's not make this topic into a members/vendors vs. Porsche Classic debate. This is not a call to defend 914Ruber nor any other member vendor on here. shades.gif

It's simply an information resource for additional 914 parts.

I'm simply bringing another 914 new parts source to 914world members, which happens to be Porsche Classic, with their Genuine Porsche warranty & quality requirements.

After so many years of Porsche ignoring our 914s - over 911/912/930 & 356/Speedster models instead - we should be happy that Porsche Classics is finally making the effort to support our 914s too! piratenanner.gif

Folks can make their own decisions on the parts, sources, quality, etc. - but the experience with them so far with the resto shops that I know has been very good.

And even our members who have/had their own resto shops like Rick, have posted on here that even the old school original new & NOS Porsche parts sometimes required some tweaking &/or adjustments to fit properly on a particular 914.

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Apr 28 2021, 02:43 PM) *

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Apr 28 2021, 10:33 AM) *

And for the Porsche 12 months parts guaranty!

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

ah well said and didnt know about the 12 month guaranty, it is great as you said to have parts availability. a friend of mine has several Datsun and Nissan, one is more recent as an '85 and cant find lots of stuff that we can get, he is amazed at what i show him we have available ... its not the case with a lot of cars made during the time ours were

Thanks Tom!
914_7T3
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Apr 28 2021, 09:54 AM) *

Another member posted about wanting the top center rear anodized roll-bar trim, & that prompted me to not only let him know that Porsche Classic is making & selling that part again, but they've got a lot of other 914 parts available new now.

If you want a new one - then Porsche Classic is making them again - contact your local/closest Porsche Classic P-dealer with the part number & order it.

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

I bought this part and would advise finding a clean original instead if you are looking for your car to be correct.

It is less than a 1/3rd of the weight and practically scuffs/scratches to the touch. Fitment is slightly off, so what else is new?

Personally not a fan of anything Porsche is currently doing with respect to Classic Parts!

sad.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(914_7T3 @ Apr 28 2021, 02:58 PM) *

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

I bought this part and would advise finding a clean original instead if you are looking for your car to be correct.

It is less than a 1/3rd of the weight and practically scuffs/scratches to the touch. Fitment is slightly off, so what else is new?

Personally not a fan of anything Porsche is currently doing with respect to Classic Parts!

sad.gif

It's the same for 911's. Most of it is way off in spec, fit and finish. Many of the parts are just relabeled asian manufactured parts in a Porsche box.
Ansbacher
I'm surprised Porsche has not tried selling Blinker Fluid in bottles with the Porsche logo. I love the Porsche company of yesteryear, but not the greedy corporate Euro-swilling monster it is today. Sorry, but Porsche Classic is at the bottom of my list of vendors. Mercedes is pulling the same stunt on their loyal enthusiasts. I think the average 914 owner is savvy enough to not fall for this type of marketing.

Ansbacher

bkrantz
QUOTE(914_7T3 @ Apr 28 2021, 12:58 PM) *

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

sad.gif

I found a very good used targa bar center trim piece, but bought new official Porsche trim pieces for the rear and base of the side sail panels. The rear pieces fit fairly well, but the bottom pieces were different enough, especially at the rear up-curve (and checked against 2 pairs of used ones) to require some creative fitting.
bbrock
You can see from their photo that the interior light they sell as a "Classics Part" is the same aftermarket light available everywhere, but at a Porsche price.
Freezin 914
Stopped in my “local” vintage Porsche repair shop, they had a stack of Brand new gears they said they refused to use. They were marked made in Germany, but actually made in China. They heard some rumors of failures after few hundred miles. They called Porsche classic, they agreed the parts were not built to the same quality as originals.
The shop I had stopped by have been in the Porsche game, repairing, fixing, racing for 50+ years, I trust them when it comes to air cooled Porsche stuff. They had commented that the parts they have been getting from Japan were of great fit and reliability. In terms of bearings, gears etc...
As care takers of all these “old out dated cars” We need to be diligent on where we get our parts, materials from.
Very Thankful for a place like 914world to be able to keep up to date on things happening pertaining to our beloved cars.
I am happy to know our cars are starting to gain some traction on “new” parts availability. Also happy to know there are companies like 914Rubber, Auto Atlanta, Stoddard, out there actively trying to build and source quality parts for us to keep our little cars on the road. Thank you to those mentioned above!
Superhawk996
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Apr 28 2021, 02:30 PM) *

It may just be me being spiteful, but, once I break up with a girlfriend, I never go back even if she starts paying attention to me again.

I broke up with Porsche when they started making SUV's instead of sports cars. Then they doubled down on sedans. chair.gif

QUOTE(Ansbacher @ Apr 28 2021, 09:24 PM) *

I'm surprised Porsche has not tried selling Blinker Fluid in bottles with the Porsche logo. I love the Porsche company of yesteryear, but not the greedy corporate Euro-swilling monster it is today.

Me too! I didn't say I don't sometimes miss the fun times with those Bat stromberg.gif crazy Ex's but you never go back to it once the relationship is over. laugh.gif
914_7T3
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Apr 29 2021, 10:30 AM) *

I broke up with Porsche when they started making SUV's instead of sports cars. Then they doubled down on sedans. chair.gif

FWIW, I really like my P-Car Sedan!

laugh.gif
Superhawk996
QUOTE(914_7T3 @ Apr 29 2021, 02:29 PM) *

laugh.gif

Don't mean to run them down. They are nice indeed. Just not for me. Had Porsche chosen to create a completely new brand to sell them under, I'd probably be fine.

I try to recognize my own flaws, but, I find my habits hard to change. I just can't get past the company I used to love made sports cars only . . . . well and a few tractors happy11.gif
Tom_T
QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Apr 28 2021, 10:53 AM) *

ah well said and didnt know about the 12 month guaranty, it is great as you said to have parts availability. a friend of mine has several Datsun and Nissan, one is more recent as an '85 and cant find lots of stuff that we can get, he is amazed at what i show him we have available ... its not the case with a lot of cars made during the time ours were

Thanks Tom!

DrPhil -

I'm now in recent years running into the same parts issues with my `85 BMW 325e E30 Coupe & `88 VW Westfalia - which is frustrating be original owners of both, & still driving them DD & wanting to keep them! sad.gif

If your buddy's `85 Nissan is this one, then he might like to have a digital copy of this 1985 ad in front of a building that I designed.

Click to view attachment

Feel free to forward it to him, as it's a pic I took of the 300ZX magazine ad that I'd clipped for my portfolio.

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Tom_T
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Apr 29 2021, 10:58 AM) *

QUOTE(914_7T3 @ Apr 29 2021, 02:29 PM) *

laugh.gif

Don't mean to run them down. They are nice indeed. Just not for me. Had Porsche chosen to create a completely new brand to sell them under, I'd probably be fine.

I try to recognize my own flaws, but, I find my habits hard to change. I just can't get past the company I used to love made sports cars only . . . . well and a few tractors happy11.gif

I USED to feel that way about Porsche SUVs & Sedans - but got over it when we wanted to get a Porsche to both have P-car fun & tow our restored vintage trailer ot car & trailer events, etc.

In fact, over their history Porsche had dabbled with 4 door 356 & 911 models, & even a 4-dr 928 Touring/wagon, as well as several one-offs!

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/electric/h...r-sports-cars#5

Also keep in mind that - just as did our 914s - the Cayenne & other 4 door Porsches keep them in business to actually be able to make your vaunted P-sports cars! shades.gif

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

Tom_T
All -

These first hand reports of parts issues with the Porsche Classic parts is very helpful to me & other 914ers.

Please keep them coming.

However, please refrain from 2nd & 3rd hand reports that you heard or read it on the internet (without posting sources) is not really helpful.

So please refrain from adding those - until & unless you can supply valid sources. shades.gif

BTW - My resto shops that I know have been around 914s since 1972 & 1975 - so about 50 years in business, & the principals were with Porsche for over a decade before that - so they do know their business.

Also - a discussion on 4 door P-cars & SUVs/CUVs would be better suited & get wider attention from the members as a new topic here in the
Garage Forum.

Yeah - I know - I broke my own request above, but I'll leave it to others to start the new topic. type.gif

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom_T
QUOTE(914_7T3 @ Apr 28 2021, 10:58 AM) *

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

sad.gif

Thanx for that 1st hand feedback - because that is one part that I was considering getting from Porsche, since I'll also need the rear & lower shiny bits of Sail Trims as well for my resto.

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
914_7T3
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Apr 29 2021, 12:45 PM) *

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

sad.gif

Thanx for that 1st hand feedback - because that is one part that I was considering getting from Porsche, since I'll also need the rear & lower shiny bits of Sail Trims as well for my resto.

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

The lower sail panel trim that runs at the base of the vinyl is not long enough and does not fit properly either. Only the the rear curved trim pieces that run vertically seem to have the correct fitment.
Tom_T
QUOTE(914_7T3 @ Apr 29 2021, 03:46 PM) *

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

sad.gif

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

The lower sail panel trim that runs at the base of the vinyl is not long enough and does not fit properly either. Only the the rear curved trim pieces that run vertically seem to have the correct fitment.

The rear ones are the main ones I need, but too bad on the lower trim bits. dry.gif

BTW - those original main rear center trim pieces were strudy & quality enough to have them repolished. Several members took theirs to the "2 Al's" wheel resto shops for pro-polishing - but you can also do a decent "hand job" with 0000 brass or steel wool & some aluminum allow wheel polish too.

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
mb911
QUOTE(914_7T3 @ Apr 29 2021, 03:46 PM) *

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

sad.gif

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

Same experience on my car.
Arno914
I'm surprised Porsche has not tried selling Blinker Fluid in bottles with the Porsche logo. I love the Porsche company of yesteryear, but not the greedy corporate Euro-swilling monster it is today. Sorry, but Porsche Classic is at the bottom of my list of vendors. Mercedes is pulling the same stunt on their loyal enthusiasts. I think the average 914 owner is savvy enough to not fall for this type of marketing.

Fully agree! "Porsche" nowadays is a big financial company that happens to build some cars, too. Same with Mercedes. Don´t want to offend anybody, but new Mercedes are barf.gif
They use us faithful followers and upkeepers of the old cars for marketing purposes "70% of all Porsches built are still on the road"...blah, blah...and to fill this livestyle smut magazine "Christophorus" and at the same time rip us off with inferior parts. Only "good" thing is the price tag on those little cardboard boxes. biggrin.gif

I drive a 1990 S-Class (W126). One cannot buy anything that matches quality wise anymore. Nowwhere. Unfortunately they have learned from Porsche in terms of pricing. Had to fix my sunroof lately. Parts (cheap cast levers) where 100$ 10 years ago. Now 1.000$ ! Insane. headbang.gif Bought aftermarket for 1/10th of the price that are proven reliable (and maybe from the same manufacturer).

Keep your originals even with some patina or support the 914 businesses here.

Have a nice weekend! smile.gif

Arno
jack20
As stated, the center piece is sturdy and likely available for refinishing.
I bought the rear sloping side pieces from Porsche. Took many hours to finally get them to fit to my satisfaction and my car has never been hit. Vert disappointed with the product.
Hint for anyone wishing to buy a Porsche Classic or other Porsche part. Get a price from Suncoast or other dealer who offers the best price and ask your local dealer to match it so you don’t have to pay shipping. My dealer always says yes.

Jack
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.