Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dynamat - Killmat?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Calwaterbear
so it looks like 36 sq ft of Dynamat is 160 bucks, while 50 sq ft of killmat is 60 bucks, about 1/4th the cost.

so is it only 1/4th as good? or almost as good, or garbage?

thanks
CWB
Morph914
I used the Noico brand and am very happy with the results. And if it’s good enough for Brent, it’s good enough for me. biggrin.gif I remember the cost was quite a bit less than the big names, but got very good reviews.

LClick to view attachment

Click to view attachment
drem914
QUOTE(Calwaterbear @ Apr 28 2021, 06:01 PM) *

so it looks like 36 sq ft of Dynamat is 160 bucks, while 50 sq ft of killmat is 60 bucks, about 1/4th the cost.

thanks
CWB

I have a good amount of Noico sound mat in black, left over from my install if you are interested.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
drem914
duplicate post: edited.
bbrock
QUOTE(Morph914 @ Apr 28 2021, 06:29 PM) *

I used the Noico brand and am very happy with the results. And if it’s good enough for Brent, it’s good enough for me. biggrin.gif I remember the cost was quite a bit less than the big names, but got very good reviews.

Dude. you are SO misguided. lol-2.gif

I did come across a good product review (sorry, don't have the link) of different brands of constrained layer mats where they actually measured the sound deadening provided (a rarity in reviews). Dynamat did score the highest but most of the other brands came very close. I don't remember if Killmat was in there, but it seems like it was. Like John said, Noico (and other "lesser" brands are as little as a third the price of Dynamat. You might sacrifice a little in performance, but at a third the price... idea.gif I have driven my car yet, but can say for sure that Noico really deadened the panels and my doors fit with that solid clunk you get on high end cars. I suspect that Killmat would do just as well.

Oh, lastly, I ordered a set of samples from B-Quiet which is another popular brand. The sample of constrained layer mat was nearly identical to the Noico I bought but almost double the price (still less than Dynamat).

Everything I've seen indicates that Dynamat really is the best, but other brands deliver more bang for the buck.
Calwaterbear
QUOTE(drem914 @ Apr 28 2021, 06:31 PM) *

QUOTE(Calwaterbear @ Apr 28 2021, 06:01 PM) *

thanks
CWB

I have a good amount of Noico sound mat in black, left over from my install if you are interested.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

I sent you an email & pm
Chris914n6
any aluminum backed butyl rubber will work well, it's all variations of the same stuff.
roundtwo
On the doors. Do you add it to the inside, of the backside of the outside door skin/ shell?
mb911
Noico for me.. nice product
Superhawk996
QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Apr 29 2021, 01:17 AM) *

any aluminum backed butyl rubber will work well, it's all variations of the same stuff.

Agree that all are better than nothing.

However, look at the damping specifications for Dynamat Extreme (.417) vs. Dynmat Superlite (.234) at 68F.

Superlite is about 1/2 the damping factor of the extreme. Performance does vary with the amount of butyl and the thickness of the aluminum backing. Basically varies in proportion to weight of the mat.

As a generaliation, thin mat is less effective than thicker mat. Multiple constrained layers are more effective than a single constrained layer.

There are differences that are real and they are measurable.

I'm not knocking the other brands. I'm sure you're paying a premium for Dynamat. If you can compare the damping factor between brands then you get get a closer apples to apples comparision.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
bbrock
QUOTE(roundtwo @ Apr 28 2021, 10:59 PM) *

On the doors. Do you add it to the inside, of the backside of the outside door skin/ shell?

Yes, and you don't have to completely cover panels. Here's what I did on my doors and it works great.

IPB Image
targa72e
I used both Dynamat and Killmat on my car. The dyna mat was thicker and not as easy to form in places with complex shapes. I used the Dynamat on the floors and Killmat in areas that were more complex shapes. I was happy with both products and would use either again. Even with lots of sound deading the car is very loud do to sport muffler.

Click to view attachment

John
Andyrew
Noico here. $65 for 36 sq feet on amazon.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.