Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Footwell carpet removal?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
gord
I’m in the process of pulling my full interior for paint, but am stuck on the passenger side footwell carpet piece. As far as I can tell, I have to disconnect the steering column universal joint and manoeuvre the carpet grommet over it — but I can’t figure out how to get enough play in the parts to get it fully separated.

Does the steering wheel/column and/or full dash need to come out first? And perhaps more importantly, does this mean the carpet has to go back in prior to the dash?

Are there any other gotchas that I should be looking out for?

Any tips are much appreciated!!

Gord
roblav1
Remove the two screws that mount the steering rack to the crossmember. And I believe you might want to mark the location of that universal joint to the splines. Oh, and after paint, be very careful to not scratch it when re-installing that u-joint.
iankarr
There should be a slit in the top of the carpet piece so it can fit around the steering shaft. Just pull it out. If you don't have a slit...maybe make one. It won't be visible and will be much less intrusive and wayyy easier than dropping the steering rack.
mepstein
Ian - no slit on stock carpet. At least on the early cars.
iankarr
I've never had an early one. Always new shizz to learn!
gord
I appreciate the replies. Mine is a 75 and doesn't seem to have a slit in the carpet either. Maybe I'll move on to the dash, and see if it becomes easier to wiggle the steering link free later.

On a related note, I'm also having trouble getting the parking brake lever free of the cable to pass through the carpet on the drivers-side long. The pin/bolt (914-424-571-01) that holds the cable into the lever seems rusted firmly in place. Thought of disconnecting it at the other end, but it's rusted solid there too.

Seems like I'll have to drill/grind it free from the lever... does anybody sell a replacement for this? Searching the part number just seems to show a lot of NLA.

Thanks again!

Gord
bdstone914
QUOTE(gord @ Apr 29 2021, 06:36 AM) *

I appreciate the replies. Mine is a 75 and doesn't seem to have a slit in the carpet either. Maybe I'll move on to the dash, and see if it becomes easier to wiggle the steering link free later.

On a related note, I'm also having trouble getting the parking brake lever free of the cable to pass through the carpet on the drivers-side long. The pin/bolt (914-424-571-01) that holds the cable into the lever seems rusted firmly in place. Thought of disconnecting it at the other end, but it's rusted solid there too.

Seems like I'll have to drill/grind it free from the lever... does anybody sell a replacement for this? Searching the part number just seems to show a lot of NLA.

Thanks again!

Gord

Replace the pin with a clutch clevis pin. Easier to install and remove.
bdstone914
QUOTE(roblav1 @ Apr 28 2021, 07:12 PM) *

Remove the two screws that mount the steering rack to the crossmember. And I believe you might want to mark the location of that universal joint to the splines. Oh, and after paint, be very careful to not scratch it when re-installing that u-joint.

Whole lot easier to cut a slit in the carpet. You have to pull the gas tank to get to the steering rack bearing and disconnect the tie rod ends.
gord
Amazing, that's exactly what I needed to see. Thanks!
Luke M
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Apr 29 2021, 06:43 AM) *

QUOTE(gord @ Apr 29 2021, 06:36 AM) *

Thanks again!

Gord

Replace the pin with a clutch clevis pin. Easier to install and remove.

Hi Bruce,

Hey would you happen to have any info on what size bronze bushing you installed in the brake handle? I like that way better then a plastic bushing.
bbrock
If it is the pin you need, I bought the OEM pin through Sunset Porsche (P/N 999-166-001-02) for $3.08
bdstone914
Hi Bruce,

Hey would you happen to have any info on what size bronze bushing you installed in the brake handle? I like that way better then a plastic bushing.
[/quote]

$1.43 from Mcmastercarr.com
You need to slit the bushing to install and maybe burnish to inside.

I may have an extra one i can send you.

@Luke M
gord
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Apr 29 2021, 07:49 AM) *

QUOTE(roblav1 @ Apr 28 2021, 07:12 PM) *

Whole lot easier to cut a slit in the carpet. You have to pull the gas tank to get to the steering rack bearing and disconnect the tie rod ends.

Small update, in case this helps anyone else:

In the end, I just pulled the whole steering column out through the front of the dash and got the carpet out that way.

Gord
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.