Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Head advise
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
kroelofsen
Hi everyone, at the moment I'm rebuilding my engine. It was a 1800 and it will become a 1911cc one. I will try to get the FI working and if not change to carbs. Right now I'm working on deck height and all looks oke.
Also I bought new heads because the original ones suffered a dropped valve. I believe these are AMC heads but I'm not so sure about quality. I'm building a normal 914 without power increase or so... I will increase the CR a bit to approx. 8.1. I disassembled the heads and saw that the valves were not lapped in, so I did it myself.
I also cleaned up the ports (done that before on cars...) and they now look acceptable. I polished the cambers and tried to minimize the pitting, for me acceptable.
My biggest concern are the valve seats in the heads, they seem pressed in and then they pressed at some point around the seat (indentations visible). Is this oke? Will this last during normal road use? Any ideas are welcome...

Setup for deck height measurement
Click to view attachment
Cilinder head (the valves you see are old ones ground down, used to protect the seats during polishing)
Click to view attachment
Seat with indentations around the seat
Click to view attachment
New valve before lapping
Click to view attachment
New valve after lapping
Click to view attachment
Mark Henry
It called staking the seat, I don't do it but it's OK. Looks like it's done with pro tooling and looks like they were lapped...so it should be OK.
Of course I can't say with certain without them being in my hands.

The valve would have a relief like that but it does look odd, it has a good margin. I'd replace the funky valves.
I always replace the exhaust valve, sometimes I regrind the intakes.
Mark Henry
Is that a new AMC head? The valves, springs and keepers are junk, I'd replace all these parts.
kroelofsen
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Apr 29 2021, 11:26 PM) *

Is that a new AMC head? The valves, springs and keepers are junk, I'd replace all these parts.

Hi Mark,
Thanks, for your advise I will ask my engineer to look at it...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.