Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1971 1.7L Oil Bath Air filter Question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
RestoReese
Does anyone have any paper air filter suggestions for a 1971 1.7L oil bath air air cleaner? I am keeping the car stock, and I would prefer not to use the oil.

I have seen a thread where someone cuts out the mesh and welds the top and bottom back together, but I have to believe there is a standard air filter I can just insert or rework that could do the job.

Any advice is appreciated.
brant
The oil is really effective, and works...
plus its part of the archaic character

I don't have answers for your question
I'd use it as it was intended.
brant
JamesM
I just always get the 73 1.7 air filter housing and use those. Bolt on, easy.
wonkipop
oil bath air cleaners were very good in VWs - cars were rear engined and travelled in their own dust more so than other conventional cars (if you travel on dirt roads). oil baths work better than paper filters in dusty environments. one of the reasons VW stuck to installing oil baths until the early 70s - very conservative and cautious given engine location. less of a problem in a mid engine 914 not really expected to be used on dirt.
i used to recycle my engine oil in the air cleaner of my old type 3. good for max. use of resources.

but its a messy job (and getting harder as a waste issue) disposing of the oil - understand wanting to change it.
suggestion above to update air-cleaner housing to the later model makes sense.
i would put the original part away in a box for a future owner rather than destroy/modify it.
JamesM
https://www.ebay.com/itm/274775295374?hash=...4kAAOSwMmVf8p8e

^thats your ticket right there.

Even has the paper element which are not the easiest things to find these days
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.