Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: show me pictures of your engine! What color did you paint the engine tins?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Geezer914
Show me pictures of your engine. I am looking for ideas as what color to paint the engine tins. popcorn[1].gif
barefoot
QUOTE(Geezer914 @ Apr 30 2021, 07:57 PM) *

Show me pictures of your engine. I am looking for ideas as what color to paint the engine tins. popcorn[1].gif

Click to view attachment
Cairo94507
Satin Black would look good.
Tjmrfe
On a fairly tight budget....but looks pretty good for an amateur, my kids think it looks great! Wife doesn’t understand why it’s not gold? Click to view attachment
Mark Henry
Making a few like these, except the next ones I'm aiming for more of a magnesium colour for the shroud and primer gray intake runners.
HansJan
Powder coated light blue, to match the Martini livery I had in mind for my white car.
Then the wife preferred the car to be yellow.

Click to view attachment
Jett
Latest
mlindner
Just gloss black, car is signal orange. MarkClick to view attachment
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(HansJan @ May 2 2021, 01:51 PM) *

Powder coated light blue, to match the Martini livery I had in mind for my white car.
Then the wife preferred the car to be yellow.

IPB Image

Dude..... you need to rethink that oil sender setup. That is bad juju. The hard metal line will work harden with vibration and break, and you will have oil everywhere except on the main bearings.

Most people recommend a flex hose, but I personally don't recommend that. I had one break. If you use hard lines, they need to be as short as possible.

Clay
FourBlades
I painted mine gloss black.

They look nice but turn your engine bay into a dark hole where it is hard to see what you are working on.

I would go for aluminum, grey or white next time.

If your engine is leaking it will be easier to see where it is coming from.

If you drop something it will be easier to find.

John
rgolia
It matches the car really well and brightens up the engine bay

Click to view attachment
Dion
My previous 2056 was gloss white. My 6 has satin black with the yellow fan shroud. biggrin.gif
Shivers
Click to view attachment

I put shiny on mine. A pain to keep it that way.
Geezer914
Thanks to all, I have some new ideas. Painted the engine bay white to brighten things up. Engine tin will be red with aluminum intake and plenum.
914sgofast2
QUOTE(Geezer914 @ May 7 2021, 11:45 AM) *

Thanks to all, I have some new ideas. Painted the engine bay white to brighten things up. Engine tin will be red with aluminum intake and plenum.

Great idea. Some DAPO painted my car's engine bay black. Makes yo think you are working in a cave. I'm going to paint it light gray, with hammered finish gray tins and flat/dull aluminum case and fan shroud. I want to see where I have dropped all those 10mm sockets!
PaulFV8
Geezer, have you painted the engine bay white? Any photos to share with us? At the moment mine will be dark blue but I'm thinking of a lighter color in the engine bay or maybe just have the tins powder coated gray.

thanks Paul
siverson
Black!
ndfrigi
Still black for me. But it is personal choice.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
burlybryan
As a fellow Saturn Yellow owner, I like it!

QUOTE(rgolia @ May 3 2021, 04:01 PM) *

It matches the car really well and brightens up the engine bay

Click to view attachment

Nacho
Powder coated

Click to view attachment

GeorgeKopf
Damn this is a cool hobby! I love all the colors and the great engine stands. I hadn't even considered a different color than black. What pairs well with Marathon Blue Metallic?

Seafoam green?

biggrin.gif
rgalla9146
Not tin...not painted... a valid reply ?
Ansbacher
Black is always the standby. Hides the dirt and grime evilgrin.gif

Ansbacher

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
VaccaRabite
My tins used to be red. Now they are black.
Red was easier to see in the engine bay.
Next time I do it the tins will be a lighter color. Makes working on the car much easier.

Zach
Gatornapper
Black for me too....

GN

IPB Image
peteyd
Black looks best.

Pete
StratPlayer
This has been powder coated by me.
Geezer914
Paint the engine bay white, it will brighten things up when working on the engine. Dark colors will make it look like a black hole.
seanpaulmc
Regarding color, the large main tins (rear and cylinder covers) on mine have never been painted. They look to have been anodized originally - I like the look.

Also,
Would someone explain the various configurations of the holes in the rear tin?

Here's mine

Click to view attachment

And, here are a few examples compared to mine above. All have a different number and pattern of holes.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Thanks,
Sean
JeffBowlsby
Someone should do a diagram of the different rear tin panels.

Can someone post good straight on photos of each the different rear tin panels?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.