Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shipping car parts
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
partwerks
What are some options for shipping a couple of large clunky boxes?
Besides, Fedex, and UPS?

1. 21" X 21" X 37" & 25lbs
2. 8" X 38" X 63" & 47lbs
JamesJ
Try Greyhound if you live near a terminal.
mepstein
Get a free FedEx account. Greyhound sucks.
73-914
FedEx SUCKS
Mitox
The free FedEx account is the way to go. They suck less than UPS and much less than USPS. Also, You can schedule a pick-up at your home,
bdstone914
@partwerks

Open Paypal and got to print lables button.
You can ship UPS and get hightly discounted rates. Just enter the full address.
rhodyguy
#2 looks like it will be be greater than the oversized threshold. Length+girth NOT to exceed 130". There is a weight limit too. Shipping costs get dear over that 130". Very. Prohibitively expensive without an account. Trim and juggle the box size to be under 129" if you can. Carry your tape measure when you go to the shipping point. Employees tend to round up. Or they are unable read fractions on a tape measure. confused24.gif I've pointed out the EXACT measurements more than once.
bdstone914
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ May 1 2021, 07:56 AM) *

#2 looks like it will be be greater than the oversized threshold. Length+girth NOT to exceed 130". There is a weight limit too. Shipping costs get dear over that 130". Very. Prohibitively expensive without an account. Trim and juggle the box size to be under 129" if you can. Carry your tape measure when you go to the shipping point. Employees tend to round up. Or they are unable read fractions on a tape measure. confused24.gif I've pointed out the EXACT measurements more than once.

That limit only applies to USPS.
USPS is usually more expensive than other carriers for large boxes. You can easily compare the two using the Paypal shipping labels function. Does not require the item to be paid thru PayPal.
partwerks
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ May 1 2021, 05:25 AM) *

@partwerks

I have a Paypal account, and so that is where you are talking about starting with?
rhodyguy
Only USPS? The info I provided came DIRECTLY from the FEDEX site. Or did you mean United Parcel Service? UPS. Similar but not the same.

A FEDEX account is tied to a credit card (nothing to do with PP what so ever. Only billed to your card when you ship something) and there is no monthly charge for the convienence. The discount is fairly substantial. Shipping via a FEDEX Office Store costs even more. I prefer a FE distribution center for my shipping needs.
Cairo94507
I looked at PayPal for that link and found nothing.....
bdstone914
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ May 1 2021, 09:52 AM) *

It was a snipit not a link. Go to your paypal at look for it.
bdstone914
QUOTE(partwerks @ May 1 2021, 08:54 AM) *

QUOTE(bdstone914 @ May 1 2021, 05:25 AM) *

@partwerks

I have a Paypal account, and so that is where you are talking about starting with?

Yes
partwerks
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ May 1 2021, 09:07 AM) *

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ May 1 2021, 09:52 AM) *

It was a snipit not a link. Go to your paypal at look for it.

Not directly finding it.
Does it start with that gear shaped icon, next to the logout, and then shipping labels?
Do I need a business account to do it?
partwerks
QUOTE(JamesJ @ Apr 30 2021, 09:53 PM) *

Try Greyhound if you live near a terminal.

I think they still have a terminal here, but has changed hands to Express Arrow, and will have to inquire if they also ship packages.
Cairo94507
Holy Moly! I just shipped my original heat exchangers via UPS and it was $272.88! I boxed them in an approx. 46"x12"X16" box. I double boxed them for strength. I wrapped them in a Harbor Freight moving blanket, separated them by cardboard and bubble wrap. Then wrapped the whole thing in bubble wrap and then isolated them in the box with more cardboard and bubble wrap. All done it was about a 40 pound box but everything was securely situated and the heat exchangers did not move around at all. I almost choked when the shipping cost, ground-slowest way to get them there, came to $272.88. Fortunately the buyer was a great guy and generously kicked in another $100 to help cover the cost. But oh my God did I get into the wrong business! For that price they should be Uber Blacked to the buyer's door. beerchug.gif
partwerks
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ May 2 2021, 04:30 PM) *

Holy Moly! I just shipped my original heat exchangers via UPS and it was $272.88! I boxed them in an approx. 46"x12"X16" box. I double boxed them for strength. I wrapped them in a Harbor Freight moving blanket, separated them by cardboard and bubble wrap. Then wrapped the whole thing in bubble wrap and then isolated them in the box with more cardboard and bubble wrap. All done it was about a 40 pound box but everything was securely situated and the heat exchangers did not move around at all. I almost choked when the shipping cost, ground-slowest way to get them there, came to $272.88. Fortunately the buyer was a great guy and generously kicked in another $100 to help cover the cost. But oh my God did I get into the wrong business! For that price they should be Uber Blacked to the buyer's door. beerchug.gif

Nobody beats Speedeedelivery.com but they only cover about 6 states.
GaroldShaffer
My 2 cents. Like Bruce, I do a lot of shipping. Open a UPS account, it doesn't cost anything. You usually get a bit of a discount for having an account. Shipping to a business address is cheaper than a home address. Also you save by dropping you package off at a UPS store VS having picked up at your home.

Also need to remember that value of the package is a factor in shipping costs. All of this is true for FedEx as I have an account with them also. As for USPS it is really only your best bet if what you are shipping fits in one of their flat rate boxes. If you plan to be shipping more items go to the USPS website and look for regional rate A & B boxes. Same as flat rate rules, but usually cheaper if you are shipping anything over 2lbs. You can't get those boxes at the Post Office, only on line and they are free. Takes a week or so for them to get delivered to you.

For really big items like trunk lids, targa tops, engines..... best to ship freight. Here I again I use UPS freight or go to freight quote.com and get a quote. Helps if item being pickup at a business VS a home.
Justinp71
Shipnerd.com and ShipNex.com

Two different sites but operate the same. You ship using their website and then they will use either their fedex or ups account at a discounted rate. Sometime I can save 20-40% using those sites and sometimes only 5-10% just depends.
Arno914
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euyRYEGOnD8
Superhawk996
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ May 1 2021, 12:52 PM) *

I think the Paypal link others have posted is only available with a commercial Paypal account -- which I don't have either. It is free to set up, I just haven't.

There is a backdoor of sorts.

Use the link below and then you'll be prompted to login to your account. That should take you to a page called multi-oroder shipping. I've never found the way to acccess this directly from my Paypal home page.

You can set up USPS or UPS account there. However, I still don't see highly discounted UPS rates. I think without doing a certain $$ of business with them you still end up with what is close to retail rate.

https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_bulk-ship
Al Meredith
I have used "www.engineshipping.com" 1-800-998-2100 before to ship type 4 engines . They did all the paper work and sent me the labels and sent me to a freight co. I had those engines in large cardboard cartons reinforced with wood. I have used them to ship heavy boxes from Atlanta to Bruce Stone by FedEx and again they sent me the paperwork and shipping labels but that last time I asked they don't do small stuff anymore. Try them they very helpful on the phone.
Mikey914
Unfortunately shipping costs are growing. All the ay around. We struggle with this daily. Fiberglass hoods and fenders do add up!
targa72e
If you live in a major city and have something large to ship you can ship via UPS from UPS freight hub to UPS Freight Hub. This can be pretty inexpensive. Item needs to be on a pallet. I have shipped and had shipped to me engines and transmissions this way.

john
ClayPerrine
I have a local mailbox/shipping small business I use. It is a one person business in a small strip mall. He will pack for me, and he compares all the shipping companies costs to find the cheapest shipping rates. I don't have to do estimates on anything. And he is a car guy (Hot rod Mopars) so he doesn't mind the whole "greasy car part" stuff.

I just show up, and hand him my stuff. I always have the destination address for him. I am in and out in about 15 minutes.

Clay
914forme
ParcelMonkey.com, or PayPal.com like mentioned before. Big parts YRC freight, actually cheaper than UPS. But takes a lot longer...... dry.gif Do not believe their estimates they are off by 10x.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.