Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: which motor mount bar ...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jimkelly
I have the cast motor bar from the 2.0 that has the shifter linkage hole in it and the tubular engine bar from my 1972 1.7. Which do I use when putting a 1976 2.0 in a 1972 car. Thanks - Jim
URY914
A sideshifter uses the cast iron bar with a hole in it.

Tail shifters use the plain bar.

The year of the car doesn't matter.
lapuwali
The mount bar depends only on the shift linkage. You need the cast bar for side-shift, and the fabricated bar for tailshift.
jimkelly
We were leaning toward using the 2.0 engine bar but then I thought maybe we need to use the 1.7 engine bar due to the use of tailshifter. Thanks - Jim.

The 2.0 bar has bushings at the center mounts near the engine - the 1.7 bar has the bushings at the body mounting points. Where should I put the bushings - do I need bushings at all four mounting pionts when I install my 2.0 using my 1.7 engine bar?
bondo
QUOTE (jimkelly @ Jul 21 2005, 11:00 AM)
We were leaning toward using the 2.0 engine bar but then I thought maybe we need to use the 1.7 engine bar due to the use of tailshifter.  Thanks - Jim.

The 2.0 bar has bushings at the center mounts near the engine - the 1.7 bar has the bushings at the body mounting points.  Where should I put the bushings - do I need bushings at all four mounting pionts when I install my 2.0 using my 1.7 engine bar?

Rubber mounts at the body only for the tailshift bar.
jimkelly
You guys are the best. Root and I will be installing a fuel injected 2.0 and tailshifter into my 1972 car tomorrow night provided a few clutch/tranny parts arrive from Pelican via Fedex. Jim driving.gif
tat2dphreak
the bar has to match the mounts on the engine too... the side-shifter has a completely different bolt-spacing than the tail shifter bar...

if, on the engine, there is one bracket with 2 holes that is reinforced, this is for the tail shifter, if you have 2 "L" shaped brackets, this is for the side-shifter... if you are missing the tail shifter bracket, I can send you one, and a bar if you need that.
jimkelly
I have a 2.0 bar and a 1.7 bar and maybe even a few more bars - but I can't visualize the mounts to the engine. Can you post a pic of the engine mount I will need to put a 2.0 and tailshifter into my 1972? Thanks - Jim
lapuwali
There are mounting pieces that bolt to the engine, and those pieces bolt to the bar. You need the pieces that match your bar. The mounting bosses on the cases are all the same.

As stated, you also need the body mounts that match the bar.

Basically, the mounts all depend on the bar, and the bar depends on the shift linkage.
jimkelly
I have all that then - great!

Can't wait top hear it run!

When Root removed the tranny from my 1.7 leaving the motor in - he was able to turn the motor by pushing on the flywheel with a big screw driver with one hand - semi effortlessly - I guess that is an indication of low compression sad.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.