Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Gremlin in the Steering Column Stalks....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
wysri9
Ok so its all back together and all the electrics work as designed with my new loom. Wonderful you might say. All was well until I installed the steering wheel and then.....turning the wheel causes the headlights to flash....

Any ideas what to look for in the stalk assembly? I am resigned to removing the wheel, but would much prefer not to remove the column assembly unless I absolutely have to. Where should I start...????

Over to the experts for some pointers PLEASE confused24.gif confused24.gif confused24.gif
windforfun
Did you overtighten the blinker stalk screws? The stalk assemblies (both) are supposed to "float" in the column with minimal inward clamping force.
wysri9
QUOTE(windforfun @ May 2 2021, 03:12 PM) *

Did you overtighten the blinker stalk screws? The stalk assemblies (both) are supposed to "float" in the column with minimal inward clamping force.

You are a star - I was about to remove the steering wheel and the column stalk assemblies to fault find which would also have involved undoing all the secured cables etc......

In the event slackened off the clamp bolt on the whole stalk/ignition and steering lock assembly and bingo- no flashing. Boy I am I a happy chap! Added some Loctite to the clamp bolt and left it nice and slack.

Thanks so much for the response. 914 World wins again! beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.