Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What is a fair price for complete 2.0 engine
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
whathaveidone
Hey Everyone,

I have a 1974 2.0 engine that came in a lot I purchased that launched me into the 914 world (hence my name 'what have i done').

I do not have plans to restore the engine, and need the garage space. I couldn't easily crank it by hand, it does have the computer, shrouds, wires, air intake, and anything else you can think of. I would love to list it, and put some money into my project...but have no idea what I should list it for. Any advice?

Thanks again!
-Pete
JeffBowlsby
Post lots of photos and the engine case SN of whats included. Its value is based on what it is, how complete it is, and its condition.
Front yard mechanic
I hate to over pay but you should sell it to me for chowtime.gif 125.00
bdstone914
QUOTE(whathaveidone @ May 2 2021, 05:44 PM) *

Hey Everyone,

I have a 1974 2.0 engine that came in a lot I purchased that launched me into the 914 world (hence my name 'what have i done').

I do not have plans to restore the engine, and need the garage space. I couldn't easily crank it by hand, it does have the computer, shrouds, wires, air intake, and anything else you can think of. I would love to list it, and put some money into my project...but have no idea what I should list it for. Any advice?

Thanks again!
-Pete

Pull the plugs and see if it will turn r over.
Wide range of price with many unknowns.
whathaveidone
Good call. It may take me a day or two, but I’ll add a good few pictures and pull the plugs and try to crank.

Thanks!
Superhawk996
welcome.png

I'll give you a singular data point.

About 2 years ago I bought a 2.0L core engine with (realatively) complete FI, and a core transmission for $700. Not running, no way to test, not frozen up - turns over with breaker bar.

It was a fair price but it also involved 14 hours of drive time, gas money, a vacation day, and paying tolls to the crooks in Illinois for the ability to drive on Interstate Highways for which I've already paid Federal Highway funds. So let's add another $60-80 for gas and tolls.

Anything that old will likely need new pistons and cylinders, and the heads to be freshened up assuming they aren't cracked and unusable.

Unless you have a known running engine with compression numbers, and good leakdown numbers . . . . you have a relatively low $ core.

Having a complete FI with the proper components (ECU, MPS, AAR, fuel pressure regulator, decel valve, dizzy, etc.) will boost price slightly for someone looking for FI. See Brad Anders page to understand what you have. If you have mis matched FI parts -- drop price accordingly or part out FI individually.

https://members.rennlist.com/pbanders/DJetParts.htm
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ May 3 2021, 08:29 AM) *

welcome.png

About 2 years ago I bought a 2.0L core engine with (realatively) complete FI, and a core transmission for $700. Not running, no way to test, not frozen up - turns over with breaker bar.

That's more than I'll pay for an unknown core.
I'm an engine builder and get offered cores regularly.

I had one real clean core (bare long block) offered to me 10 or so years ago, customer's friend he wanted what he paid for it at a show, $800. Because it was a real good customer I agreed to do a compression test, hooked it to a starter and gave it a spin.
You wouldn't believe the water that shot out of the thing! blink.gif
Yep, it had been pressure washed and was full of water.
I offered the guy $50, he cried and then he took the 50.

The moral is unless you have running leak down numbers you have absolutely no clue what you're buying.
Superhawk996
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ May 3 2021, 08:38 AM) *

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ May 3 2021, 08:29 AM) *

welcome.png

That's more than I'll pay for an unknown core.

Yup - totally fair comment. In my case it was a three way deal. Core transmission, Core FI parts, and a core engine which in my case turned out to be just fine (minus usual need for cylinder replacment due to storage pitting).
whathaveidone
I took some pictures tonight and realized since I’m asking advice I should ask about the engine block I have too. Most of the pictures here are for the 2.0, but the last couple I believe are from a 1.7 block and would love to get rid of that too.

I’ll post the 1.7 in a separate to keep things straight.

Thanks again for all the help here!
whathaveidone
Here are the 1.7 block. I have a ton of parts but no cylinders or heads. I can take more pictures of that is useful.
whathaveidone
QUOTE(whathaveidone @ May 3 2021, 09:19 PM) *

I took some pictures tonight and realized since I’m asking advice I should ask about the engine block I have too. Most of the pictures here are for the 2.0, but the last couple I believe are from a 1.7 block and would love to get rid of that too.

I’ll post the 1.7 in a separate to keep things straight.

Thanks again for all the help here!

A couple more.
Jett
The engine and pieces look original, some old red vacuum hoses and black coil smile.gif

I recently bought a 2.0 core long block and paid 1100 + shipping (300). I expected to use the block only and added bonus if the heads were good, but turned out that the block was good (great) and everything else was not useable. The good side is that the pieces are going to become art one day smile.gif

Given the limited info but apparently (need part numbers) complete FI motor, I would be comfortable at ~1500 - 2000, and expect to rebuild it.
Dave_Darling
ED is a Bus motor, not a 914 motor. It's also a 1.8 liter.

Look for the bottom-left corner of the front of the engine (all as installed in a 914) for a hole into the case for the oil filler funnel from a Bus, and note that there wouldn't be any dipstick tube to the left of the chimney up on top of the motor.

That would also explain the odd-looking air cleaner (?).

Not sure what those are worth.

--DD
whathaveidone
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ May 4 2021, 12:16 AM) *

ED is a Bus motor, not a 914 motor. It's also a 1.8 liter.

Look for the bottom-left corner of the front of the engine (all as installed in a 914) for a hole into the case for the oil filler funnel from a Bus, and note that there wouldn't be any dipstick tube to the left of the chimney up on top of the motor.

That would also explain the odd-looking air cleaner (?).

Not sure what those are worth.

--DD

Ahh, awesome, this one had puzzled me. Do you know if there is a need for these engine blocks? I need the space more than the paperweight blink.gif
whathaveidone
QUOTE(Jett @ May 3 2021, 10:46 PM) *

The engine and pieces look original, some old red vacuum hoses and black coil smile.gif

I recently bought a 2.0 core long block and paid 1100 + shipping (300). I expected to use the block only and added bonus if the heads were good, but turned out that the block was good (great) and everything else was not useable. The good side is that the pieces are going to become art one day smile.gif

Given the limited info but apparently (need part numbers) complete FI motor, I would be comfortable at ~1500 - 2000, and expect to rebuild it.

Thanks, very helpful! To show my true ignorance, FI is fuel injector? What PNs would be useful to show in a listing?

The sooner I sell this, the happier my wife will be, and the more $$ I can put into my project sunglasses.gif
930cabman
Fair? many unknowns with this engine/FI assembly. My guess would be in the $700. range. It's possible it's a dud (bad crank, rod, cylinder, ...), but could be a diamond in the rough. Crap shoot
Jett
QUOTE(whathaveidone @ May 4 2021, 05:38 AM) *

QUOTE(Jett @ May 3 2021, 10:46 PM) *

Thanks, very helpful! To show my true ignorance, FI is fuel injector? What PNs would be useful to show in a listing?

The sooner I sell this, the happier my wife will be, and the more $$ I can put into my project sunglasses.gif

Yes Fuel Injection. Superhawk provided the list and pointer to the parts list.

———
Having a complete FI with the proper components (ECU, MPS, AAR, fuel pressure regulator, decel valve, dizzy, etc.) will boost price slightly for someone looking for FI. See Brad Anders page to understand what you have. If you have mis matched FI parts -- drop price accordingly or part out FI individually.

https://members.rennlist.com/pbanders/DJetParts.htm
mbseto
Hey, fellow Cincinnatian. Welcome to the forum.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.