Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Random wire
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
whathaveidone
Hey everyone,

I am about ready to crank my engine and see if I can get it to growl! Before I let the magic smoke out of anything, is anyone able to tell where this goes?

This is on a 1974 1.8L. It looks like it could reach a ton of things from a ground to the coil. I’ve dug thru the schematics but can’t seem to ID it. Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Pete
ejm
Looks like the wire that goes to terminal #1 on the ignition coil to let the control unit know the engines cranking. There should be the tach wire, the wire to the points and a signal wire to the control unit on terminal 1 with L-jet.
whathaveidone
QUOTE(ejm @ May 4 2021, 04:23 PM) *

Looks like the wire that goes to terminal #1 on the ignition coil to let the control unit know the engines cranking. There should be the tach wire, the wire to the points and a signal wire to the control unit on terminal 1 with L-jet.

Awesome, thank you!! I stretched it there but was nervous to crank it without a confirmation.

-Pete
ClayPerrine
It goes to the negative side of the coil. The car won't run without it.

Clay
whathaveidone
While I have a helpful and captive audience, what about the port that is coming off the engine near the back side of the coil in the picture? What will that go to?

I know I’m earning my newbie badge, but o can’t tell you how much I appreciate all the help!
bdstone914
QUOTE(whathaveidone @ May 4 2021, 02:39 PM) *

While I have a helpful and captive audience, what about the port that is coming off the engine near the back side of the coil in the picture? What will that go to?

I know I’m earning my newbie badge, but o can’t tell you how much I appreciate all the help!

That port blows air into the charcoal canister
Shivers
Vapor recovery system. Look for plastic black tubing around 1/2" dia in the engine compartment and up by the fuel tank.
wonkipop
QUOTE(Shivers @ May 4 2021, 03:47 PM) *

Vapor recovery system. Look for plastic black tubing around 1/2" dia in the engine compartment and up by the fuel tank.

or straight to char. can in engine bay after location change in 74.
whathaveidone
Got it, I know exactly what you are talking about now. I do like the idea to relocate to the engine bay as well. Since I am re-assembling from many pieces, I have that freedom smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.