Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Source for a rebuilt engine?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
casey944
My 914 engine is tired and all of the local shops, including the one I use routinely are really back logged. Does anyone have a source for rebuilt engines? I have kept my eyes on the classifieds and haven't seen any come up. I have a 1.7 and would prefer something with a little more grunt. Thank you.

Casey
Shivers
I built my 1.7 to a 2.0 and it is a lot more fun. There are fella's on here that build engines.
PatrickB
QUOTE(Shivers @ May 4 2021, 05:39 PM) *

I built my 1.7 to a 2.0 and it is a lot more fun. There are fella's on here that build engines.

There's more than one... trick is to find someone close to you.
JeffBowlsby
McMark

http://www.originalcustoms.com/
casey944
QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ May 5 2021, 08:05 PM) *

I emailed him a few weeks ago with no response... I suppose I will try calling. I am going to reach out to Translog in PA tomorrow. Also I was told about SCAT engines. Dont see much as far as reviews online though.
JmuRiz
I was suggesting McMark for my brother's car too...maybe touch base with BeatNavy. I think he build his own 2270 FI engine, but check with him.
Al Meredith
QUOTE(casey944 @ May 4 2021, 02:08 PM) *

My 914 engine is tired and all of the local shops, including the one I use routinely are really back logged. Does anyone have a source for rebuilt engines? I have kept my eyes on the classifieds and haven't seen any come up. I have a 1.7 and would prefer something with a little more grunt. Thank you.

Casey

Casey, I have a rebuilt 1.7 on my test stand now and want to sell it so I can start rebuilding a 2056 . You could install the 1.7 and keep driving while you build a bigger engine. I want $1000 for the 1.7 and would be glad tp build you a 1911 or a 2056. PM me and we can discuss . AL
Al Meredith
Pic of the 1.7 on the run up stand shown here with a single 32/36 but now has two 1 barrels
nopClick to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
dr914@autoatlanta.com
Al is a good guy and really sells his parts for way under what they are worth. We rebuild many many 914 engines here in various stages, but I would first check yours and so a leak down check to see how bad it really is before springing for a rebuild. Nice these days to rebuild yours as well to keep the matching numbers.

Then there are the Jake raby engines if you want the highest hp obtainable
Bleyseng
I’d recommend Rich@914Werke.com. Small shop and pays attention to details to build em right!
casey944
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ May 6 2021, 07:48 PM) *

Al is a good guy and really sells his parts for way under what they are worth. We rebuild many many 914 engines here in various stages, but I would first check yours and so a leak down check to see how bad it really is before springing for a rebuild. Nice these days to rebuild yours as well to keep the matching numbers.

Thank you for the note. 3/4 cylinders have very poor leak down. The car runs but quite poorly. I have begun a conversation with an outfit north of me called Translog regarding the engine work and they are to get back to me shortly with specifics on timing and such. I would agree that rebuilding my engine is likely the way to go. Thanks all for the input and I will keep my eyes open if something else comes through.
Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(casey944 @ May 7 2021, 11:27 AM) *

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ May 6 2021, 07:48 PM) *

Thank you for the note. 3/4 cylinders have very poor leak down. The car runs but quite poorly. I have begun a conversation with an outfit north of me called Translog regarding the engine work and they are to get back to me shortly with specifics on timing and such. I would agree that rebuilding my engine is likely the way to go. Thanks all for the input and I will keep my eyes open if something else comes through.

I just hung out with Tony from Translog at Carlisle, and have dealt with him for years. I've never heard anything but good things come out of his shop, not to mention the really cool things, like the Karmann Ghia on a Boxster!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.