Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: CV Boots with 6 bolt holes
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Nacho
Hello

I'm in the middle of rebuilding my axles and during my teardown I very carefully stored my 4 bolt CV boots in a cardboard box. Unfortunately I think that box found its was to the trash! headbang.gif I purchased 4 of the Type 1 CV joint kits from PMB and I drilled the holes for the roll pins. The kit comes with 6 bolt hole flanges and boots attached. If the originals only used 4 bolts, how can I prevent the grease from coming out the two other holes?

Thanks
Nacho

DRPHIL914
actually had a mess from the 6 hole ones , didn’t find anything to plug the holes with but i found some 4 hole CV boots/flange on the forum here a couple years ago that were NOS in original box so i switched them out. i think 914sixer had them. if there isn’t a better idea, put a wtb ad in classifieds.
i think my CV’s came from Tangerine Racing and they did the rebuild work and the had the 6 hole , and i installed them like that, tried taping off and plugs didn’t stay in place, sure had a big mess under there
914Sixer
NO ONE is making 4 hole ones. 6 hole stock VW is all that is out there.
Nacho
QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ May 5 2021, 05:02 PM) *

actually had a mess from the 6 hole ones , didn’t find anything to plug the holes with but i found some 4 hole CV boots/flange on the forum here a couple years ago that were NOS in original box so i switched them out. i think 914sixer had them. if there isn’t a better idea, put a wtb ad in classifieds.
i think my CV’s came from Tangerine Racing and they did the rebuild work and the had the 6 hole , and i installed them like that, tried taping off and plugs didn’t stay in place, sure had a big mess under there

This is the underside on my 914. I definitely don’t want a greasy mess

Click to view attachment
Nacho
QUOTE(914Sixer @ May 5 2021, 05:48 PM) *

Understood but has anyone developed a way to stop the grease from coming out the holes? I’ve been thinking about welding the extra holes and grinding them smooth. I even thought of threading the backside of the CV joint and install a button head Allen bolt

Just looking for ideas

Nacho
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(Nacho @ May 5 2021, 06:48 PM) *

QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ May 5 2021, 05:02 PM) *

Click to view attachment

sweet!! you have me beat i believe !
sb914
@nacho we need more pictures of your car!looks fantastic....
Luke M
QUOTE(914Sixer @ May 5 2021, 03:48 PM) *

A few years ago I was at the Hershey swap meet. I walked past a guy that had a huge bin full of new cv boot/flange for the 4 bolt cv's. I think my brother bought some for when he redoes his cv joints. They are out there. Maybe that same person will show up at this years PA swap meet and someone can snag a few for you!!
JFJ914
Well, why don't you get some metallic duct tape and make 2 patches(sticky side to the CV) then install the boot. Works a charm!
Nacho
QUOTE(JFJ914 @ May 6 2021, 12:37 PM) *

Well, why don't you get some metallic duct tape and make 2 patches(sticky side to the CV) then install the boot. Works a charm!

Interesting idea. Have you done this yourself or did you see it done somewhere?

bdstone914
@Nacho

I removed the boots and flanges from about a dozen CVs. The boots are good in most of them. 4 have removable boots.
The rest have the boots crimped to the flange.
Nacho
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ May 6 2021, 06:55 PM) *

@Nacho

I removed the boots and flanges from about a dozen CVs. The boots are good in most of them. 4 have removable boots.
The rest have the boots crimped to the flange.

Coming over @bdstone914 driving.gif piratenanner.gif
AZBanks
QUOTE(Nacho @ May 5 2021, 03:48 PM) *

Click to view attachment

I have the same exhaust on my car. It was on the car when I bought it. Do you know who made that exhaust system?
Nacho
@AZBanks - its a European Racing header system I bought used and had it media blasted and hot jet coated. Its coated internally and externally. The coating is supposed to help reduce temperature under the car allegedly.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.