Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1971-4 Turn Signal Lever Not Returning
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
RestoReese
Turn lever is operating all electric functions correctly, except after turning the wheel the lever is not returning to the off position when wheel has returned to zero degrees.

The car came with a replacement Steering Column Group installed, no idea how long it has been in there, and it also came with a one out of the car that I assume is the original. No idea how to tell what normal is, since most likely it was have issues and needed to be replaced.

Steering wheel is original to car, and the turn cancel ring appears to be in perfect condition. The ring is installed to the right side, opposite the lever which is on the left (1971 only has one lever).

Any ideas what could be the issue and how to resolve? Or should I just leave it and either manually return
914Sixer
Pull contact ring off, look to see if the switch looks like the one in the picture. Sounds like you have broken one of the clips that hold the "W" return spring.
RestoReese
W Return spring is missing but clips that hold it seem to be OK. Is it possible to get the W Spring? When searching can't seem to find it. Signal Lever is part number 914613 8or3 061

Looks like my 71 is using VW 1970 Ghia, and the part you are showing may be this - https://www.autohausaz.com/pn/311953513B

Can you let me know if that is accurate? Also, any links to replacement instructions? Looks simple enough, but may have to so some splicing to keep the pins/connector in place. And possible wiring colors on the newer isn't a direct match.
FlacaProductions
Are both of these little tabs present and intact?
I'm going to guess that they are not.

Click to view attachment
RestoReese
They are there. The car came with an extra steering column and that one is missing the plastic insert, with the 2 end pieces. I am assuming when the PO replaced the steering column, maybe they had a used one that didn't come with the clip, or maybe they lost the clip when working on it.

It is kind of a funky setup. I have a spare steering column and original 914 ignition cylinder (missing the lock), and the steering column on the car has a VW lock cylinder in it. I think they were chasing issues and got a Frankenstein of parts.

I did find someone who makes the plastic end pieces that retain the W clip - https://www.shapeways.com/product/6RM4Z7S8M...spring-retainer

But need to find the "W Spring Clip".

914Sixer
Let me look in the warehouse, I might have one off damaged switch.
914Sixer
Here you go, I found it. PM me shipping information and I will get it on the way.
RestoReese
Wow awesome. PM Sent
914Sixer
On the way this morning
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.