Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Valence restoration
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Warren914
My car is with Mark for some engine and transmission TLC. He can't have all the fun so there is other work to be done once it gets home.

What suggestions are there to refurbish front and rear valences? Metal is good, no dents or bends. Color is way off! Would black truck bed liner be suitable color and texture? Maybe powder coating would be better. Thoughts?Click to view attachment
Tom_T
Warren -

The factory used semi-flat or satin black paint, over underbody "schutz" (Wurth still sells it) for texture, over primer.

With yours, in Scotia & salty roads + humidity:
- I'd suggest that a 2-part epoxy primer over clean metal would be a good starting point
- then have some reference original parts &/or photos of the texture - & practice on scrap metal or something - to get the original eggshell or pebble texture
- then top coat with the satin or semi-flat black enamel paint.

Its the same satin or semi-flat black paint color & texture for both L & R Rockers and F & R Valances, & for the FG top, but that's not metal.

The Porsche 914 Factory Manual has that & tons of other info, & you can get digital scanned versions on CD from AA & maybe other sources too. It also has the factory texture & paint info.

There is also more on doing valances & rockers in topics in the O&H Forum FYI.

Also - if you're okay with the PORSCHE side-stripes (positive for 1970-74 or Negative for 1974-76 or personal preference) - you'll find that adding them to a 914 makes them look lower & longer visually, which was why they were so popular.

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Warren914
QUOTE(Tom_T @ May 6 2021, 04:31 PM) *

Warren -

The factory used semi-flat or satin black paint, over underbody "schutz" (Wurth still sells it) for texture, over primer.

With yours, in Scotia & salty roads + humidity:
- I'd suggest that a 2-part epoxy primer over clean metal would be a good starting point
- then have some reference original parts &/or photos of the texture - & practice on scrap metal or something - to get the original eggshell or pebble texture
- then top coat with the satin or semi-flat black enamel paint.

Its the same satin or semi-flat black paint color & texture for both L & R Rockers and F & R Valances, & for the FG top, but that's not metal.

The Porsche 914 Factory Manual has that & tons of other info, & you can get digital scanned versions on CD from AA & maybe other sources too. It also has the factory texture & paint info.

There is also more on doing valances & rockers in topics in the O&H Forum FYI.

Also - if you're okay with the PORSCHE side-stripes (positive for 1970-74 or Negative for 1974-76 or personal preference) - you'll find that adding them to a 914 makes them look lower & longer visually, which was why they were so popular.

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

I'll check the O&H forum for ideas.
The car won't see any salt. It sleeps indoors all winter and drives only on clean roads.
Another 914 I owned had plastic rockers with raised PORSCHE lettering. They were removed and replaced. Not a fan. Don't know where those rockers are but should be buried somewhere in the yard.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.