Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Accessory switch position
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bbrock
AFAIK and according to the owner's manual, there is no position on the ignition switch to energize accessories only, but after 40 years of 914 ownership, I still learn new things about these cars but had to ask in case somebody has a nifty trick. It would be nice to listen to tunes on the car radio while working on it without running the fuel pump or energizing the coil. Just wishful thinking probably.
Tom_T
Brent -

You can wire the audio/radio unit to bypass the ignition switch - directly into the dash wiring harness.

However, you'll have to turn it on & off at the radio switch, & not forget to turn it off whenever leaving the 914 for more than a few minutes.

I can speak to the dead battery problem if you forget! dry.gif

That was how mine was set-up by the P-dealer & when I bought my `73 2L from the OO back in 1975.

Most old pre-1980s cars were set up that way from the early days before the ignition switches with an accessory position was common.

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Steve
Only the 914-6 has an accessory switch. The 914-4 does not. On all my 914’s I installed a toggle switch in the dash, to act as an accessory switch for the stereo, cigarette lighter, etc. switch up direct to battery, switch down ignition only.
bbrock
QUOTE(Tom_T @ May 8 2021, 11:53 AM) *

Brent -

You can wire the audio/radio unit to bypass the ignition switch - directly into the dash wiring harness.

However, you'll have to turn it on & off at the radio switch, & not forget to turn it off whenever leaving the 914 for more than a few minutes.

I can speak to the dead battery problem if you forget! dry.gif

That was how mine was set-up by the P-dealer & when I bought my `73 2L from the OO back in 1975.

Most old pre-1980s cars were set up that way from the early days before the ignition switches with an accessory position was common.

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

Thanks Tom, Yeah, I know I could rewire the radio but don't like to do that. Prefer to have all power switched off with the key. @Steve I did not know the sixes have an accessory position on the switch. I knew I'd learn something from my stupid question.

I have the latest Pertronix which is supposed to be immune to burning out when the key is left on too long, but it still makes me paranoid. I've been disconnecting the positive wire from the coil when I leave the key on for long periods without the engine running just to be safe.
StarBear
QUOTE(Steve @ May 8 2021, 02:55 PM) *

Only the 914-6 has an accessory switch. The 914-4 does not. On all my 914’s I installed a toggle switch in the dash, to act as an accessory switch for the stereo, cigarette lighter, etc. switch up direct to battery, switch down ignition only.

Yeah, me too several years ago. A sort of kill switch but in reverse. Should confuse any potential thieves!
bbrock
Discovered a cool feature of my modern Blaupunkt radio by accident. If I push the power button while the key is off and no switched power going to the radio, the radio powers up from unswitched power in timer mode and will stay on for 1 hour before shutting itself off. Nifty! piratenanner.gif We don't need no stinking accessory position smile.gif
HansJan
The 1-2-3 distributor powers down the coil after a few seconds.
The coil controls the relay that powers the fuel pump.

There is no-way that I came up with this myself. I'm sure someone on this site came up with that.

Totally work.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.