Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: One piece fiberglass body
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
street legal go-kart
How much interest is there?
I have talked to several racers who would like the option of a one or two piece body kit.
I have access to a layup shop for two weeks and want to make the best of my time.
Need a flared car to "splash". I don't know if we want to do the 916 look or something more exotic.
I promise I'll be carefull.
We built 1/4 mile boats for about 10 years and have borrowed several hulls for splashing without problems.

The other option is to come up with a can-am or open 917 type body that fits the 914 rolleyes.gif

Input from the club will tell the tale.......

JT and Miss Mari
bondo
Hehe, you'll get one hell of a wax job out of the deal smile.gif
SirAndy
roger sheridan makes 2 pieces ...

front has fenders, hood, bumper all in one.
rear has fenders, hood, bumper all in one. additionally, you can have the targa bar included as well.

wink.gif Andy
SirAndy
QUOTE (street legal go-kart @ Jul 21 2005, 05:05 PM)
The other option is to come up with a can-am or open 917 type body that fits the 914 rolleyes.gif

if you come up with a 904 body kit, i'll be the first to buy one!

boldblue.gif Andy
jimtab
QUOTE (SirAndy @ Jul 21 2005, 04:09 PM)

boldblue.gif Andy

agree.gif And I'll be 2nd....they're beautiful....
scotty b
Funny (?) story. A couple years ago I went up to Summit point with my boss and his best friend for a vintage car race. I got the back seat of the 911 targa,'cause I was "the young guy with the best of three backs" mad.gif Anyhoo we're walking around checking out the cars chating it up with some friends when we come across a 904. Or so it initially seemd. Upon a slightly closer inspection....AH HA a 914 door handle! So my boss says to the owner" that's a beautiful car, you can hardly tell it's a 914" The owner responds " mad.gif Yeah well thanks a lot" and storms off in a huff. His wife was standing close by and came over to us. She apologized for his attitude and explained that he owns a body shop, and hand made all of the panels for the car, and we were the second people that new what it really was underneath. Apparently he thought noone would be able to tell confused24.gif Beautiful car..... dhead.gif
street legal go-kart
Good idea Andy,
The difference between an open and an enclosed care is about double the lay up time.
And thats not the challenge.
Windows.
Try and get some one to make a laminated safety glass windshield for a 904.
Bout $2500 min if you could find someone willing to do it.
The open cars are a different story.
Keep in mind track and wheelbase.
The 904 is close,
Anyone have a 904 they want to let me borrow for 14 days????????
We can splash a car without ANY damage or trace of the event.
Assembled or not...

Any other ideas?

JT
URY914
I've got five pieces to my bodywork. Lids(2), sides(2) and front bumper/spoiler.

Bet you'll need more than ten days. sad.gif

The problem with big pieces are that it takes more than one person to move on and off the car. And they have to be strong enough to hold themselves up.

I thought of making my car like a flip up funny car, but gave up on it.

Paul
neo914-6
QUOTE (jimtab @ Jul 21 2005, 04:13 PM)
QUOTE (SirAndy @ Jul 21 2005, 04:09 PM)

boldblue.gif Andy

agree.gif And I'll be 2nd....they're beautiful....

NOT on a 914 chassis/windshield, however... ohmy.gif
jonwatts
I like the idea of front and rear flip-up sections like on the back of a 550 spyder. I've wanted to build a Ghia with that.

How about making a Fiat X1/9 body? laugh.gif
Howard
May take a bit of work, but deal me in, too.

Wheelbase 2300 mm 90.6 in
Height 1314 mm 51.7 in
Length 4090 mm 161 in
Width 1540 mm 60.6 in
Weight 650 kg 1433 lb

Wheelbase 2450 mm 96.5 in
Height 1230 mm 48.4 in
Length 4050 mm 159.4 in (early bumpers)
Width 1650 mm 65.0 in
Weight 970 kg 2139 lbs
drew365
Reintroduce the Chalon! Nearly everyone in the club will hate you, with the exception of a select few. biggrin.gif
neo914-6
you must be kidding...
URY914
904... wink.gif
jonwatts
Bring back the 9014!

Not barf.gif
Scott
How about this body?

There are some more pics at this thread:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act=...=ST&f=2&t=35265

and at this site:
http://www.carsbybobby.com/

Redue the headlights and the lines would be exceptional.
street legal go-kart
To address a few comments,

Paul, the weight factor after we build the mould will be dictated by the individual buyer to her/his specs.
One of the great things about the process is that weight is now dictated only by the depth of the pocketbook involved, ie: carbon fiber ect.
That being said I have a mould for Austin sprites that looks like a Cobra front end and just produced a front hood and fender , seamless at about 65 lbs total out of just fiberglass .No exotic materials.
We also just built a drag specific 19" hydro hull that weighs in at 377 lbs without the capsule.
Would I take that boat to the local lake?
NO.
If we do a can-am or funny car style body for the track I'm looking at a target weight of about 125-150 lbs per raw body.
As to lay up time , above Austin piece was done all told in about 6 hours including buffing the mould.
After you have done the process a couple of thousand times on various projects things tend to go a little faster smilie_pokal.gif

The 904 however is about a 30-45 day project and although I would love to tackle it in the future, right now I just can't get the shop time. Plus I'm just not hearing any 904 owners stepping up to loan me a car to splash. unsure.gif
I'm getting the two weeks shop time gratis..no charge just leave the place as clean as I got it.

Drew , the Chalon is a copywritten design and I don't know who holds the rights.
We can't take the risk of a lawsuit on something like that.
Producing the body in one piece ala funny car design with some minor mods might get us free of the infringement problems. wink.gif

Scott , I like it ,with some mods, a topless model could be made from the same mould for the track. Anyone know who owns this teener?

Off to work I go..

JT
URY914
I think you'd have better luck with making as many hoods and trunk lids in 10 days than trying to make something that may not have a market. You'd be able to sell those off quick.

There are several f/g pieces that could be or need to be made and that would sell in no time. I'm thinking of several that aren't widely sold like targa bars, bumpers caps, engine sheet metal, inner fender panels, etc... (I know you can get these if you look hard enough)

But if you have your heart set on make big pieces go for it. But it may be sitting there a while until someone wants it.

Also if you want to start making racing pieces for SCCA racers. SCCA is very restrctive on what can be done with bumpers and front spoilers. You should get pre-approval from SCCA first.

Sorry if I sound negative, but I just wanted to point out the other side. biggrin.gif

Paul
andys
JT,

Not to veer too far OT: Do you use a release before making a plaster splash, or simply wax? Also, what do you use to seal and then coat the plaster splash before making the fiberglass layup? Do you use a PVA release on the sealed plaster? Appreciate your input.

Thanks,
Andy

Brando
Do some stock fenders for the teener. smile.gif That's what I'd like... Keep the original look and shave some wieght. Okay, so maybe a 1" smooth flare in the rear. WHat'd the damage be for that?
GWN7
I have a 904.....1/25 scale.... would that work?

I've always like the look of the 904..
ClayPerrine
Somewhere around 15 years ago or so, there was a guy who built the "Diablo 914" It was a very good 904 copy set on a 914 chassis. He was offering the kits for a while, and I think he sold 2 of them. He went broke.

If anyone wants them, I can scan the article from an old copy of VW/Porsche magazine..........

It was a very good looking car. If I had money at that time in my life, I would have bought a kit.

URY914
Auto Atlanta sold them too...
ClayPerrine
QUOTE (URY914 @ Jul 22 2005, 10:53 AM)
Auto Atlanta sold them too...

This kit was definitely NOT the same at the POS 9014 sold by AA.

It looks GOOD!
URY914
I didn't know there was a differance.

Wow, AA sold the cheap one. I'm amazed rolleyes.gif

Paul biggrin.gif
avendlerdp
Just wondering... What do you use to "splash" the body to get a mold?
Scott
JT,

the car was done by Bobby??? He has done cars at this site:
http://www.carsbybobby.com/ The 914 is there too. Looked for a contact like e-mail but couldn't find one. You might have better luck. Pics look like he is down along the Gulf Coast/Florida somewhere. So getting the car up here would probably be a pain.

Scott
seanery
I thought it was Florida, too, but a search of the WhoIs database comes up with this info:

Registrant:
  Barbara Anderson
  631 Goble Creek Loop Rd
  Kelso, WA 98626
  US

Domain Name: CARSBYBOBBY.COM

Administrative Contact, Technical Contact, Zone Contact:
     Barbara Anderson
     631 Goble Creek Loop Rd
     Kelso, WA 98626
     US
     360-749-9126
     bnbanderson@scattercreek.com

Domain created on 03-Aug-2000
  Domain expires on 03-Aug-2013
  Last updated on 15-Sep-2004

Domain servers in listed order:

NS1.CAPTURETHEWEB.COM      
     NS2.CAPTURETHEWEB.COM
Scott
JT,

Actually in looking at his photos all the cars (at least the ones that have plates) appear to be in Arizona.

Scott
Scott
Sean,

Do you thhink that the info you pulled belongs to:

"Powered by Coppermine Photo Gallery" that is at the bottom of the main page????
street legal go-kart
Andys,
We haven't used plaster for quite a few years . When we did , we coated the plaster mould with resin, several coats and spent the majority of time on making sure the surface was like glass as every imperfection is magnified when you make a mistake.
We do use a pva release on the moulds as well as waxing and polishing beforehand.
I personaly inspect every mould before layup starts having lost a boat mould some years back due to improper prep.

Avenderldp,
No offence intended but the product used for splashing is something I don't feel comfortable dilvulging. It took many failed projects and a lot of $'s to arrive at the point we are at today. We produce very high quality moulds in a very different wayand in a much shorter timeframe that provides us with an advantage over the other producers in the market.
Mr Raby found out the hard way about the lurkers on this site and it is still affecting his pocketbook.
I do not want to share his pain and/or legal bills.

I have a shot at a Spice open body , anyone know the track and wheelbase?

JT
seanery
QUOTE (Scott @ Jul 22 2005, 02:29 PM)
Sean,

Do you thhink that the info you pulled belongs to:

"Powered by Coppermine Photo Gallery" that is at the bottom of the main page????

Nope,
this is Coppermine's company's info

Registrant:
VA Software Corporation (OSDN)

Address:
46939 Bayside Parkway
Fremont, CA 94538
US

First Registered:
August 08, 1999

Last Updated:
February 06, 2005

Administrative Contact:
Administration, DNS dns-admin@osdn.com
46939 Bayside Parkway
Fremont, CA 94538
US
+1.5106877000 Fax: +1.5102268833

Technical Contact:
Technical, DNS dns-tech@osdn.com
46939 Bayside Parkway
Fremont, CA 94538
US
+1.5106877000 Fax: +1.5102268833

Name Servers:
NS2.OSDN.COM   66.35.250.11
NS1.OSDN.COM   66.35.250.10
NS1.VASOFTWARE.COM   12.152.184.135
NS2.VASOFTWARE.COM   12.152.184.136
NS3.VASOFTWARE.COM   66.35.250.12
Verruckt
QUOTE (street legal go-kart @ Jul 21 2005, 06:05 PM)
How much interest is there?
I have talked to several racers who would like the option of a one or two piece body kit.

The other option is to come up with a can-am or open 917 type body that fits the 914

The 917 would be incredibly difficult I would think. Though IMO it is the most beautiful Porsche race car ever. I would absolutely buy one. But I don't think there would be enough interest to recoup the work that it would take to make it. The windshield area would be the kicker.
user posted image

What about a 908? Would definitely be doable.
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image

I think the 908 style body would definitely be easier to do.

Sorry, I'm sick about those old Porsche race cars. wub.gif
street legal go-kart
Kurt you win the prize! smilie_pokal.gif

This is exactly what I'm talking about. I noway can do an enclosed car in the time we are being given .
I could pull off a true one piece, funnycar style but on an enclosed car the problem once again is the windshield. Even if we go to Plexi the cost per unit is still astronomical.

I also seriously doubt you could convince ANY 917 owner to let me borrow her/his car for ANY reason. I have met two owners of 917's and they tend to be a protective group. biggrin.gif
I would eat dirt for the chance to splash a real 917.
I mean ,I would probably give just about anything for the chance, hard to explain what that kind of opportunity would do for one's reputation.

Hell , the chance to do a 908 or 906 open body would be huge!

Anyone with a 908/906 want to step up?
Anyone?

I would be willing to provide a shell for the owner or some other reasonable trade for the use of a car. alfred.gif

JT
Verruckt
QUOTE (street legal go-kart @ Jul 23 2005, 02:18 PM)
Kurt you win the prize! smilie_pokal.gif

This is exactly what I'm talking about. I noway can do an enclosed car in the time we are being given .
I could pull off a true one piece, funnycar style but on an enclosed car the problem once again is the windshield. Even if we go to Plexi the cost per unit is still astronomical.

I also seriously doubt you could convince ANY 917 owner to let me borrow her/his car for ANY reason. I have met two owners of 917's and they tend to be a protective group. biggrin.gif
I would eat dirt for the chance to splash a real 917.
I mean ,I would probably give just about anything for the chance, hard to explain what that kind of opportunity would do for one's reputation.

Hell , the chance to do a 908 or 906 open body would be huge!

Anyone with a 908/906 want to step up?
Anyone?

I would be willing to provide a shell for the owner or some other reasonable trade for the use of a car. alfred.gif

JT

The lines are simple enough, would you really HAVE to have a real one to be able to do it? I am no glass expert, but the lines seem pretty simple. Again, I know NOTHING about making glass anything, but wouldnt it be best to make it a two piece body? Maybe the two halves come together behind the driver or something? I just thought becuase the sides are pretty much straight down, not alot of contour except for the nose, and I would imagine for someone who is good, even that wouldn't be too hard to do.

If you do it, put me on the list. wink.gif
Verruckt
Would it be easier to piece meal the body? Something like this??

user posted image

Or would that make things mor complicated? If you could make it like that, rear section, front section, and sides. That would be the shiznit! biggrin.gif
Verruckt
Maybe you could search around for some 908/906 owners online. MAYBE you could convince one of them to let you copy their exact parts in exchange for giving them a body. Then after the fact, you could modify/fit one to a 914 later. Would give you plenty of time, and I'm sure there are many guys here that have tubed cars. There is that one "lightest 914 in the country" guy down in florida... or am I just talking crap that I know nothing about? The dimensions seem pretty damn close.
street legal go-kart
Kurt,
After the splash is complete we can modify the body for a two piece or what ever the end user wants/needs.
Thats why I'm not focusing on small pieces and parts which we can turn out from moulds made at our shop.
The chance of a "clean room" at no cost is something that does not come around very often.The only reason that I have a chance at this facility is that the owner is going to Europe for 2 weeks and knows my standards about keeping stuff clean. He produces about 10-12 moulds a year and charges $1200 rent a week for use of his room. His generosity is the only reason I can pull this off.
I will have about $2500 in material into this before we produce body one.

Trying to produce a shell without a car to splash is a project for a different day.If I had time to produce a plug to splash I probably would just build another hydro hull.
I can sell more boats than we can layup.
laugh.gif

I still don't have an offer of any car . Like I said in the first post,

Flared 914, maybe something that does not have the 916 look,
But something wide enough to fit the tires that the 6 and v8 people use.

Any brave and trusting souls out there?

JT
Brando
If I had one i'd let you splash my Carerra GT. smile.gif
street legal go-kart
Thanks Brando,

Actually pretty close for track and wheelbase...

Anyone with a c-gt?

JT
URY914
There was a guy at the last Florida PCA event that had a CGT copy on a Boxter.
It looked cool from a LONG way off but looked stupid up close.

The 908-3 is my favorite P-racecar, but I don't think it would go to well on a 914. Look at the relation of the position of the driver to the front wheels. The driver is way-way forward verses a 914.

Also there are molds of all the P-racecars out there. You just need to find the right guy to hook you up. If you had a 917, 908, 910, etc, Gunnar could find the mold for you.

If I won the lottery I have always said I'd have Fabcar build me a tube frme 908-3 replica and have Gunnar hang a body on it. Stick a 3.6 in it and look out... happy11.gif

Like I said earlier, I think you should make some of the hard to find parts that would sell.
redshift
Hey buddy, you hit the lotto, buy two of those, and I'll follow you in the spare.

smile.gif

M
bernbomb914
how about a 550 spyder copy. There are plenty around and they are very popular. I would like one of them

Bernie
MikeP
I know a guy with the molds and body panels for a complete 962, I could see if he'd be amenable to their being borrowed.
street legal go-kart
Mike ,
Very interested! Let me know if you have any luck.

Paul,

Perhaps you need to review the previous posts.

I am in awe of both Fabcar and Gunnar's work, however I think even you would agree that the price tag of a body and/or chassis produced by one of them is in the price range normaly reserved for puchases of real estate. Product far outside the the typical teeners pocketbook.

The goal here is to produce something that club members can benefit from, at a price that is not to difficult to swallow.

If you have small items that you would like us to produce, please pm me, as we don't need the use of the big clean room to produce those size items [see previous post's] . I really want to capitalize on the chance we are getting as a club to produce something that would have a LIFE , not just some more body pieces.
I do appreciate the input though.

jt
slugmika
Hi JT

I would really be interrested if you can make gt flared flip front and rear.
I'am not a big fan of 916 front though.

-Mika-
URY914
QUOTE (street legal go-kart @ Jul 25 2005, 05:57 PM)
Paul,

Perhaps you need to review the previous posts.

I am in awe of both Fabcar and Gunnar's work, however I think even you would agree that the price tag of a body and/or chassis produced by one of them is in the price range normaly reserved for puchases of real estate. Product far outside the the typical teeners pocketbook.

The goal here is to produce something that club members can benefit  from, at a price that is not to difficult to swallow.

If you have small items that you would like us to produce, please  pm me, as we don't need the use of the big clean room to produce those size items [see previous post's] . I really want to capitalize on the chance we are getting as a club to produce something that would have a LIFE , not just some more body pieces.
I do appreciate the input though.

jt

I said "If I won the lottery..." Perhaps you should read my post a little closer.

As far as "building something club members can benefit from", how many members are in the market for a one-piece body? Not too many funny car 914 members here.

I guess you're missing my point. It is the small items that members use and need. Small items like hoods and bumpers have had a "LIFE" for 20+ years.

I'm done. Do what you want. beerchug.gif

Paul
street legal go-kart
Well ,
After a trip to La-La land on Friday and a visit to a fellow fabricators shop, I have decided due to the lack of an offer of a suitable "doner" vehicle to build a mould for a 29" offshore tunnel hull.
I wish we could have had some input from some of the people with high end cars but guess it was not to be.

I do know that I will generate far more profit over the next 5 years with the mould/moulds for the boat as compared to the teener body. smilie_pokal.gif

Just not as fun as something for 'our cars'. sad.gif

Did get to ride in and pilot a 36 ' catamaran with a Arneson surface drive and a turbine out of a Blackhawk on friday afternoon , first time for Miss Mari on the ocean in something that big/fast.
We got back to the marina and the grin did not leave her face until she fell asleep about 1 am driving.gif

The big boat gets closer and closer.....

JT
Andyrew
I would do a 908 kit myself... It would have a sbc in it... hehe.

BUt like paul said, Members want individual pieces...

YOu make a NEW cool front bumper....
a NEW cool rear bumper.
a NEW cool rear trunk/spoiler combo,
a NEW set of fender flares
and also a vented front hood for those with radiators up front or seroius oil cooler setups...

and you'd have 10-100 times more buyers than just a one piece or even a 2 piece.

People want bolt on, im afraid....

not tube framed custom....

Andrew
street legal go-kart
Ya Andrew,
I hear you .
Same input I got from my cohort in La-La land on friday.
His comment was why waste the free fab time on something I'm not going to profit from.
Sad but true.
Besides I can turn out small pieces from our shop.

JT
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.