Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Blaupunkt Frankfurt radio fitment issue?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DC_neun_vierzehn
I have a '73 2.0.

I purchased a Blaupunkt Frankfurt radio to replace the original radio (well it was the original Sapphire, but it's definitely an early 70's radio and fit into the dash plate like a Sapphire).

I removed the old radio from the dash. When I try to drop in the Blaupunkt into the plate, the center window hole appears to be too small for the Blaupunkt. Seems like it's about a mm or two too small.

Anybody else ever encountered this when trying to install a Blaupunkt Frankfurt?

Do I need to get a different dash plate for the Blaupunkt Frankfurt? Is there a different plate available anywhere?

I'd rather not file or dremel the hole bigger.

914Sixer
This is what your plate should look like. Round nose chrome bezel should fit hole.
Mike Fitton
I believe he is talking about the dash plate opening not the faceplate.
DC_neun_vierzehn
QUOTE(914Sixer @ May 8 2021, 06:24 PM) *

This is what your plate should look like. Round nose chrome bezel should fit hole.

That is what my faceplate looks likeBut the nose on my Blaupunkt Frankfurt radio is slightly larger than the nose hole on the faceplate. Maybe 1-2 mm taller.

Thus, I'm asking ... is there a different 914 faceplate for a Sapphire radio than the Blaupunkt Frankfurt radio?

Or do they both fit the same faceplate?
Mike Fitton
Post a picture of your radio with the chrome trim piece on it and we will get you squared away.
914Sixer
Sapphire plate is COMPLETELY different than Blaupunkt.
DC_neun_vierzehn
The nose hole in the upholstered dash plate is too narrow for the Blaupunkt I'm trying to install. It's about 3 mm too narrow. The nose on the Blaupunkt is approx. 98 mm and the hole in the plate is approx. 95 mm.

The knob holes are perfect. No problem there.

Is there another plate I need to get so that the nose will fit or do I just need to mod (dremel) this one?

914Sixer
So what your saying is the Dash piece is too small , NOT the faceplate shown here. Sapphire dash plate is plastic, the Blaupunkt is metal.
DC_neun_vierzehn
QUOTE(914Sixer @ May 9 2021, 11:09 AM) *

So what your saying is the Dash piece is too small , NOT the faceplate shown here. Sapphire dash plate is plastic, the Blaupunkt is metal.

Correct. I obviously won't be able to use the radio's black faceplate in the 914 dash. It's the chrome nose piece that snaps on and off that appears to be 2-3 mm too big.

I know the radio comes through the dash plate and then the chrome piece pops on from the front. It almost fits, but it won't click into the radio because the dash plate hole appears to be a hair too small.
gereed75
These are made specifically for each radio. You can get a blank from 914 rubber and cut the opening you need or just take Mike up on his offer. He knows everything there is to know about these.
DC_neun_vierzehn
QUOTE(Mike Fitton @ May 9 2021, 05:57 AM) *

Post a picture of your radio with the chrome trim piece on it and we will get you squared away.

Hey Mike. Do these pics help? Thanks in advance for your assistance!
Mike Fitton
That chrome piece will not work it is designed to push in from behind on the early 911's. You need the chrome trim piece that has the recessed center bar and is designed to install from the front.

Click to view attachment
Mike Fitton
You could also use the faceplate you have in post #7 above and buy this 914 DIN faceplate from AA.

http://www.autoatlanta.com/Porsche-Din-Rad...14552040A2.html
rfinegan
I used the din mount on my Koln...

Click to view attachment
DC_neun_vierzehn
QUOTE(Mike Fitton @ May 10 2021, 02:22 PM) *

That chrome piece will not work it is designed to push in from behind on the early 911's. You need the chrome trim piece that has the recessed center bar and is designed to install from the front.

Click to view attachment

Any idea where I can get one?
Mike Fitton
QUOTE(DC_neun_vierzehn @ May 11 2021, 12:01 PM) *

QUOTE(Mike Fitton @ May 10 2021, 02:22 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Any idea where I can get one?

They are rare and expensive, PM sent on this.
DC_neun_vierzehn
Dremeled the hole a couple of mms taller (off the bottom edge) to allow the chrome to fit through.
DC_neun_vierzehn
6 pin Bluetooth plugged into the back of the radio is working like a charm as well.

Next up ... exploring speaker solutions.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.