Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1975 tan interior - worth saving?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
gord
I’m restoring a 1975 that came with this tan interior, which appears to be original.

I’d like to make things as period-correct as possible — any thoughts on how to handle these door panels? The speakers definitely do not look factory. Is it worth preserving the original material, or better to reupholster without the speaker holes?

Also, any thoughts on the torn seat vinyl? Better to patch/stitch or is matching new material available?

Finally, any advice about repairing or replacing the cracked door pocket?

Thanks,
Gord

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
JeffBowlsby
914s came in a few different shades of 'tan'. Maybe its the lighting or photo conditions but it does not look like those are a matched set. The backpad looks good. The seats are a different shade than the back pad and the brick pattern is only correct through 1974, not 1975-76. The door panels are yet another different shade.

I have not found that tan upholstery especially in the brick patterns, is available from any source. Sheet material is available that is close in color (not sure about the texture), but not the patterns. If someone knows of a source please post it. Please, no speculation or "ask x, y, z supplier" unless you know of certain availability.)
IronHillRestorations
J Bugs lists the later style pattern vinyl in several colors, including tan: J Bugs square weave vinyl

They also have another VW pattern that isn't right, but color choices look good. Other pattern vinyls

I haven't inquired
JeffBowlsby
Nice find Perry. thumb3d.gif
gord
My garage lightning is indeed awful, so that could be affecting the photo colours. Once the weather stabilizes a bit more here, I’ll take them outside and examine them in daylight.

If it’s not a matched set, it just becomes an exercise in sourcing the correct materials — so thanks for links to JBugs.

Can anyone tell me how close a match to original colour/texture the seat covers sold by 914 Rubber are?
Mark Henry
See what they say, this should let Mark know you have a question. Might take him a day or so to reply.
@mikey914
IronHillRestorations
The tan interior is my favorite. My metallic green 6 (sold) has a smooth light tan that was somewhat rare for early cars. I think tan pairs much better with most exterior colors and is cooler with the top off
Tom_T
QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ May 8 2021, 06:56 PM) *

914s came in a few different shades of 'tan'. Maybe its the lighting or photo conditions but it does not look like those are a matched set. The backpad looks good. The seats are a different shade than the back pad and the brick pattern is only correct through 1974, not 1975-76. The door panels are yet another different shade.

I have not found that tan upholstery especially in the brick patterns, is available from any source. Sheet material is available that is close in color (not sure about the texture), but not the patterns. If someone knows of a source please post it. Please, no speculation or "ask x, y, z supplier" unless you know of certain availability.)

Gord -

Personally I love the tan/beige color interior (it's much cooler in the SoCal & Southwest USA heat) - they're well worth restoring to it if it was your 914's original fitment - or if you prefer it.

Jeff is correct, although it's hard to tell from your door panel pic if they're the 75-76 "Brickweave" - but your seat inserts & backs are the 70-74 "Basketweave" & the color is different than your backpad.

But to clarify on both texture & color terminology - compare actual samples with your 75's door cards (if still in the correct original "Brickweave") for what best matches your car's correct original fitment - or to a preferred change that you like better if you're not a CW.

The seat inserts & door card textures get thrown around & re-titled all the time - some by mistake, some by later manufacturers - between: "Basketweave", "Brickweave", "Squareweave" - but I think it's best to stick with what Porsche called them in their original sales & specifications documentation - which was either 1972-74 "Basketweave", or 1975-76 "Brickweave" (leaving aside their other options for "Corduroy", Perforated" & "Plaid" etc. for your particular 1975 914)

The way I learned the terminology back in the day was "Basketweave" for the one on your seats for 1972-74 MYs, which was what I found in Porsche documents from then while researching for the resto of my `73 2L "914S" ....

See #31 in Lower Left:
Click to view attachment

And my original seats (I'm 2nd owner since 1975, & interior has been verified by a PCNA senior tech/area director as original):
Click to view attachment

The above is what appears to be on your seats, but it was a 1972-74 only color version & texture - even with the earlier & later colors being fairly close.

And "Brickweave" for 1975-76 for what I think is on your door cards (it's really hard to see even enlarged) - although you'll see it called "Squareweave" & even "Brickweave" ....

914 Rubber calls theirs Basketweave -
IPB Image

JBugs calls theirs Squareweave -
IPB Image

For a 1975-76 914 Porsche called it "Brickweave".

You can also see the color variances by MY at Jeff's 914 classic website here FYI -
https://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/PaintFabrics.htm

I think that Jeff has the similar 1975 or 76 MY Interior Options Ordering Spec page to my 1973 one above, in his Rare Documents or one of the other sub-sections here -

https://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/

Also keep Jeff's main website & p914.com as references, in addition to the 914 info at the top of this site's page top-right, and the O&H Forum here.

Note that the 70s era Bugs & Super Beetles had most of the same upholstery & paint colors available on them (& other parts too, and on other 70s VW & Audi models too) - so VW Bugs sources now will have stuff that works well, but check against yours.

My semi-educated guess is that a PO may have swapped out the original worn seats for a pair of nicer 72-74 Basketweave ones (70 & 71 used perforated leatherette vinyl inserts, not Basketweave) - or else had them upholstered with a more readily available at the time leatherette vinyl for the 72-74.

I procured the correct "Beige" 1973 Vinyl Leatherette by the yard in both smooth & basketweave from Lakewell in the EU, sufficient to reupholster my entire interior because no matter how close to original - you'll never get a perfect match for what's in your 914, plus the older material is more brittle & will eventually crack anyway.

I would try to get samples of both the Brickweave & Smooth Vinyl Leatherette from both JBugs & Lakewell, then see which best matches your door cards & backpad (& Center Cushion?) - as well as to see if you can possibly get away with a partial reupholstery job - or need to do the whole Magilla - based on your tastes & budget.

The guys at Lakewell have restored 914s over there, & can give you the correct yardages you'll need for the full or partial reupholstery - but I don't know if the JBugs folks will know. If they're different - & additionally to be safe - also check with your local upholstery shop &/or err on the higher one.

Also check with Lakewell for Tan/Beige & if any in Brickweave (they don't list it right now for kits, but he may have some sheet bulk material in stock or available to order from his Germany supplier, which was what he did for mine) -
https://www.lakewell.com/

While Jeff said no maybe here - the reality is that all of the sources below have had the correct or correct-ish for what we can get today Tan/Beige/etc. Brickweave at one time or another, & they have been out at various times as well - plus we're dealing with COVID related shortages now, & Germany & other parts of the EU are currently under their 3rd COVID shutdown - but that will all change.

So you'll have to do some legwork. Also note that pre-COVID shipping from a UK/EU source was generally 10-14 days at most in most cases, but during COVID everything USA & UK/EU is taking longer.

Also AI has the fabric by the yard, but their supply availability varies - plus if you need new foam for the cushions etc. - AFAIK Autos International still has them, & do CW concours level reupholstery too (but you may have customs & obvious shipping costs to Canada).

http://www.porschetopsandinteriors.net/

World Upholstery is a 3rd source that used to have brickweave & smooth, but they also vary, & they may also have the cushion etc. foam.

http://worlduph.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIsK_...ASAAEgJIsPD_BwE

914Rubber was mentioned above, but I don't know if they have anything in Tan/Beige Brickweave right now, because theirs shows out of stock.

https://914rubber.com/

https://914rubber.com/914/914-chassis-inter...ts/808-00-seats

Other members may have additional sources - maybe some in Canada, and there are just a few vinyl plants worldwide which are making the material worldwide - but it all starts smooth, & then the patters are embossed onto smooth sheet (or perforated into) - so hopefully eventually we'll get all colors & patterns available again at some point.

All of these sources also sell pre-made 914 kits, but you may need to special order the Tan/Beige/Cinnamon color from some.

Also color & pattern availability for anything but Black has always been off-n-on, & it's worse now due to COVID - so be patient, but get it where you can when you can - even if you're not quite ready for it.

Hopefully this is helpful to you & others.

Good Luck! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
wonkipop
of course it is worth saving.

some things can not be renovated/restored/reproduced.

in my field of work this is being confronted with.
you have to make the choice.
do you make it go on (in the state it is in).
or do you "remake" it.

i would make it go on.
because its the real thing.
and it can never come back.

if you remake it......well, its now not then.
hope that helps.

as an observation.
looks like you have the driver's seat in the passenger seat position in that photo mockup/setup. it amazing the size of the scoop out for the handbrake when you put the seat in that context. but then again the seat handles are in the right place. whats going on?
gord
Wow, thanks everyone for all the info!

I can confirm that my door panels appear to be the correct 75 "brick weave / square weave" — the colour seems to shift depending on the camera angle, but here's a closeup shot:

Click to view attachment

As far as restoring to factory condition, the only issue is the door panels is that they've been butchered for speakers, which I guess I'll have to decide if I want to keep or not.

Can anyone tell me what the correct seat covering should be for this 1975 door-panel/back-pad combo?

Gord
gord
QUOTE(wonkipop @ May 10 2021, 04:22 AM) *

as an observation.
looks like you have the driver's seat in the passenger seat position in that photo mockup/setup. it amazing the size of the scoop out for the handbrake when you put the seat in that context. but then again the seat handles are in the right place. whats going on?

Yes, I noticed this too! After reading Tom's post, my guess is that the seats were dismantled and reupholstered (with the '74 vinyl) but then put back on the wrong rails. Also, one of the seat handles looks like the factory pot-metal, but the other is a plastic replacement.

Gord
Mikey914
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ May 9 2021, 10:53 AM) *

See what they say, this should let Mark know you have a question. Might take him a day or so to reply.
@mikey914

Yes been a bit busy at the "day" job, but let me answer the question and provide a little info.
We have found that the tan has about 4 different variations. Originally we thought that they are all from different interiors. What you see here is a prime example of this. Different textures reflect the light differently, I'm sure dye lots also may be to blame. That and over time they have aged differently.
One of the reasons we are showing out of stock is that we have found dye lots do vary. If I sell a set of door panels, seats w/ bolsters and 3 pc back pad you would see something like you have here if they were made at different times. We now do these to order to assure that they all come from the same dye lot.

To answer the question on how close we are, I'd have to say I can get close, so matching exactly is difficult in that the color appears to change a little from the smooth when we stamp the pattern onto vinyl. I can see if I have some samples I can post up a pic on.
Mark
wonkipop
re - cracked door pocket.

have noticed with brown/beige interiors sometimes the door handle lower portion and door pocket match the door card vinyl and sometimes not. don't know if this is a year dependent thing or installs at the factory depending on what was in the assembly parts stock. i definitely have an original interior, its brown, and door handles and door pockets have black lower portions. the car came with a black central cushion fitted by the dealer at point of sale, (original receipt). would all have been dependent on what was lying around at the dealers on the shelf back then. the black cushion makes sense in mine with the black door handle and black pocket.

if your door pocket was black rather than beige, (guessing its black from vinyl i can see stapled around edges) you could go in search of a better condition part. a good condition black one might be easier to find than the brown or beige.

pity about the door cards having been cut for speakers.
AzGuy238
For what it's worth....this is what I did to my '76 914 with a tan interior. Click to view attachment
Johny Blackstain
The factory calls 74 tan "cinnamon". My six has a 74 LE cinnamon interior except for the carpeting, which is from AA. There are no sources that I'm aware of for this color in upholstery or carpeting sad.gif
StarBear
Can’t tell for sure from the photos, but the seats’ stitching between each panel changed in 74 or 75. Earlier had stitching, later had melt pressing. I have a 74 with the stitching but it has a lot of 73 parts in it.
914werke
agree.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.