Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tail shift slop. Is this my problem?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jaredmcginness
Hey all,

Have had a dog of a try trying to get the tail shift usable.
I’ve done a lot of the typicals, but it is always very vague.

Lines up nice in the garage, but once I am rolling, 2 might be 4, 3 might be 5, etc

I was reading about some guys welding to add material at the tail selector.

Here’s where I am at. Looks like a LOT of slop here, which I imagine translates even more to the lever.

Check this video out:

SHIFT SLOP VIDEO.

Let me know if the video works, on mobile.

Thanks!
Shivers
Hi, I have a 72', same setup it looks like. That movement in my opinion is not bad, and would effect the forward and back movement of the shifter. Not really side to side. I put in a short shift kit and all new bushings to replace the worn out ones. Made a big difference. Also the last bushing bracket at the end of the shifting rod, right where your video is being shot, that bracket will, after loosening the bolts/nuts will pivot to allow you to raise or lower the shifting rod end. Takes a little trial and error but you can find the sweet spot for the best shifting you will get.
jaredmcginness
Great advice Shivers, I didn’t know that bracket at the rear had adjustment!
I will look into a short kit as well. My throw is SO long.
Shivers
QUOTE(jaredmcginness @ May 9 2021, 02:46 PM) *

Great advice Shivers, I didn’t know that bracket at the rear had adjustment!
I will look into a short kit as well. My throw is SO long.

Hahaha, I know. Don't forget the plastic cup at the bottom of the shifter inside the car to the shifter rod.
Rider914
Not a permanent solution, but I put an appropriately sized zip tie around the inner shift rod to take up the slack on my '72. It worked well and tightened up the slop.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.