Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SOLD: Real Factory 914-6 Project
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WANTED: 914 Cars and Rollers
914forme
After much contemplation, soul searching, and a reality check I have come to the conclusion that I am going to sell my 914-6.

The short, been in the family since 1976-77? I was 9 or 10 when it came into my life! It was the car that made me fall in love with mid engine cars. I have been fortunate enough to own a few 914s, but also a few other mid engine wonder cars. I will always have a soft spot in my heart for a 914. Here is the rub, I am not a keep a car stock sort of person.

Long story can be found in my sig.

I have found no rust that would keep me from building the car the way it is. There is a bit of surface rust in the shift tunnel. Floors, logs, door posts everything looks solid. You can open both doors, and they shut with that nice German car precision. The good, most of the original parts are here. I some how misplaced the master cylinder confused24.gif

Original wheels where steelies, long gone. It is rolling on a set of fake Mahle gas burners. Easy cheap wheel to keep it so it can roll. It is ready to roll out and up onto your trailer.

PM me if you are interested and want access to the entire set of pictures, I will also take more if you wish. It is on the lift so underside or th odd shot is not terribly hard.

VINs - did not find the one stamped in the rear trunk floor, I also did not go at it hard to find it.
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Door sticker gone in the repaint back in the 70s

Hood is presently on the car. There are some shots with it off the car.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Sorry for the random finger in the picture.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

It has its scars from years of being around the shops, always stored inside in climate controlled shop. Rear deck lid faired the worst, when a shelf full of 914-6 parts broke loose and dumped them on the trunk. Good was it had a Garold's Mom's Service cover. The bad is it picked up a few dents and a couple of scrapes. That still make my stomach churn when I see it.

Have number matching engine and transmission, this car will need some work but it is the best one I have seen as a starting point. $40,000 obo
Jay Wellwood
OMG
MM1
Ok @ValcoOscar - if you sell me the blue-wrapped 6, then you can get started on the real one . . .you've been working looong hours . . .you deserve it!

Beautiful, Stephen -if only I could snap this up! GLWTS . . . popcorn[1].gif
Jett
Great project but our garage is full sad.gif
SirAndy
Someone is getting a smoking deal on this one!
driving.gif
roblav1
I'm interested! Dayton is not far away from my place in KY. Will send PM.
Dion
Wow, wish I was in the market. Good luck Stephen!!
Mild Bill
PM Sent
914forme
Sale Pending
daytona
Hi 914forme,
I am not a buyer for the 914-6, but I am interested on that jack/lift under it. What brand is that? How high does it go?
Good luck with selling the car.
Thanks.
Bill.
johnhora
@daytona

Bill it's an EZ Car Lift

https://www.ezcarlift.com/index.html
roblav1
I looked at Stephen's car on Memorial Day. Amazingly non-rusted -6 chassis. All parts, plus a lot of extras, are all there, clean, and well organized. (Except no M/C).

I'm hesitant to write this information here because I want the car. Unfortunately, I had to decline buying it for other reasons. My wife brings up the fact that I'm not quite finished with my -6 GT conversion. If Stephen's car is still available at the end of summer, I will go get it. Timing is often everything.
914forme
QUOTE(johnhora @ May 25 2021, 09:43 AM) *

agree.gif

26", great lift, love it, I would go on a tour and promote it. Only down side is it can not lift my wife's X5M, or the parts fetcher Silverado. Wish he would build a larger capacity unit.
914forme
Rob it was a pleasure meeting you, your lovely wife, and beautiful dog. Thank you for coming up and looking at the car, and yes timing is everything.
second wind
QUOTE(914forme @ Jun 3 2021, 05:53 PM) *

Rob it was a pleasure meeting you, your lovely wife, and beautiful dog. Thank you for coming up and looking at the car, and yes timing is everything.

is there a price? thank you,
gg
Jett
QUOTE(second wind @ Jun 3 2021, 06:45 PM) *

QUOTE(914forme @ Jun 3 2021, 05:53 PM) *

is there a price? thank you,
gg

Price at the bottom.

“ Have number matching engine and transmission, this car will need some work but it is the best one I have seen as a starting point. $40,000 obo”
Tdskip
PM sent
PaulFV8
apologies for continuing to hijack your sale thread with questions about the lift. I don't have an engine to measure, if this enough room to remove/install the engine/trans?

thanks and stay safe
jmalone
PM sent
hlee96
To the 914world community and experts: Is there anyone you would recommend I can hire to restore this car? You can PM me with your recommendations. I wrench 928s, but not really much info in wrenching 914 out there and I don't want to be the next "Longest Restoration Project" record holder :-)

thanks so much
roblav1
Did you buy the car?
hlee96
Really asking to see if I should even go further. There are "PMs" sent, but no update to if the car is sold or not.
Tdskip
It's been pretty frustrating.

Little communication, a "get in line" but no transparency on how long the line is.

If you are going to sell it then sell it, otherwise you are wasting people's time.
nditiz1
QUOTE(Tdskip @ Jun 12 2021, 07:35 AM) *

It's been pretty frustrating.

Little communication, a "get in line" but no transparency on how long the line is.

If you are going to sell it then sell it, otherwise you are wasting people's time.

You trying to buy this and the 74 Carrera? Can I barrow some money biggrin.gif
Tdskip
QUOTE(nditiz1 @ Jun 13 2021, 08:39 PM) *

You trying to buy this and the 74 Carrera? Can I barrow some money biggrin.gif

Shhhhhh, my significant other will hear you.

Any in any case this one isn’t happening for me, and apparently, anyone else. Waste of people’s time and disrespectful of the community here.
JOEPROPER
I have dealt with him in the past without issue and he has been a respected member of this community for a long time, so I'm gonna give him a pass on this one. I don't understand why he can't be absent from the community for a while without being bashed. Sometimes life gets in the way of responding to 914WORLD listings... flag.gif Give the guy a break.
Tdskip
QUOTE(JOEPROPER @ Jun 14 2021, 11:44 AM) *

I have dealt with him in the past without issue and he has been a respected member of this community for a long time, so I'm gonna give him a pass on this one. I don't understand why he can't be absent from the community for a while without being bashed. Sometimes life gets in the way of responding to 914WORLD listings... flag.gif Give the guy a break.

It's not absent, the seller is deliberately doing a "take a number and get in line and maybe I will update you, oh and the price may not be the price". That is a waste of people's time.

mepstein
I’ve also known Stephan for a long time and trust him. There might be other stuff going on and I would take a step back if you are unhappy with the process. I don’t know why the communication isn’t good right now and I’m sure it’s frustrating but nobody is getting scammed or hurt.
roblav1
I concur with Mark... having inspected it, no one is getting scammed. My take on this is that it's Stephan's car. His method of selling it is his decision. It also has to be the right buyer too... someone reasonably close with enough truck and trailer space, the funds, and the additional funds and capability to finish the job. If Stephan starts to circle back (like press secretary!), I'm still in line.
Tdskip
Not saying anyone is getting scammed, what I am saying is "the price isn't the price" and "get in line but won't tell you anything" is a waste of everyone's time.

If you are going to sell it, sell it. If you want a queue of buyers then at least have the respect to inform them of where it stands and how many in-front.

Seems pretty simple.
bcsellie
QUOTE(Tdskip @ Jun 14 2021, 02:09 PM) *

Not saying anyone is getting scammed, what I am saying is "the price isn't the price" and "get in line but won't tell you anything" is a waste of everyone's time.

If you are going to sell it, sell it. If you want a queue of buyers then at least have the respect to inform them of where it stands and how many in-front.

Seems pretty simple.

Perhaps it's just me, but I feel the "price isn't the price" is as "scamish" as a dealers bait and switch. Sorry, that cars no longer available (20% below market), but I do have something a bit more $$.........

Not an indicator of the sellers character here.......
Jonathan Livesay
QUOTE(bcsellie @ Jun 14 2021, 02:53 PM) *

QUOTE(Tdskip @ Jun 14 2021, 02:09 PM) *

Seems pretty simple.

Perhaps it's just me, but I feel the "price isn't the price" is as "scamish" as a dealers bait and switch. Sorry, that cars no longer available (20% below market), but I do have something a bit more $$.........

Not an indicator of the sellers character here.......

At best maybe he's having second thoughts about selling, at worst he could be turning a 914 World classified ad into a sort of online auction.
Van914
Maybe Stephen is just busy. I also have known him a very long time. He isa very stand up guy. Be patient my friends.
914forme
Thank you every one. I have been rather busy with work, and other projects.

First let say the price is the price. Not a scam, not a bait and switch, shell game, hustle etc...

If I wanted to auction it B.A.T. is an e-mail away. I posted it here and only here, as I respect this community. This car has been in my life for 44 years.

Second, not trying to disrespect anyones time. I will say I am doing the sale this way because I have setup many purchases of cars with small and large price tags, to find them sold, while I am in travel. That is a waist of time, and money. This process allows the buyer to know that the car will be here.

So far I have walked 6 people through my process. I understand it is frustrating to potential buyers who are on the list. I will contact the 7th person tonight. I respect each of them enough to schedule the time, meet them, answer any questions they have either in-person, or via electronic correspondence. It takes time, I am willing to give that time, I do have other obligations that require my time.

Again thank you everyone who vouched for my character, it is appreciated.
jrmdir
I guess some may discount my input here because of my "Newbie" label but I've been very active in other Porsche forums for many years and, in fact, bought my first 911 off the dealer floor in 1975 and have been restoring and buying/selling sports cars ever since. And that is a long time.

The relevance here is that I live near this car and am one of the "previous 6" people who seriously considered buying it. First off, the car is much better looking in person - beautiful! And the amount of parts included is amazingly complete. Steve took the rocker panels off for me and the sills (and HH) are in perfect shape.

I also have no issues with how the sale is being conducted. I contacted him early on and was told that he would honor the first come first served rule and that there were people ahead of me. And sure enough he got back to me weeks later to let me know I was next in line.

The only thing that didn't work out for me (and him) in this process, is that in the meantime I found the blue 1.7 that I've now bonded with and, as much as I'd love to buy his 6, I just can't take on another project or try to dump the 1.7. I know I'll regret not grabbing it but to be honest, completing Steve's work with the same attention to detail is work best left to someone perhaps younger and with more space than my 2-car garage will afford. Especially with one space reserved for my running Porsche.

Anyway, I thought I'd add my 2 cents FWIW. If I can help anyone with questions about the car feel free to PM.

Regards,

Ron
patrick3000
QUOTE(jrmdir @ Jun 15 2021, 09:56 AM) *

I guess some may discount my input here because of my "Newbie" label but I've been very active in other Porsche forums for many years and, in fact, bought my first 911 off the dealer floor in 1975 and have been restoring and buying/selling sports cars ever since. And that is a long time.

The relevance here is that I live near this car and am one of the "previous 6" people who seriously considered buying it. First off, the car is much better looking in person - beautiful! And the amount of parts included is amazingly complete. Steve took the rocker panels off for me and the sills (and HH) are in perfect shape.

I also have no issues with how the sale is being conducted. I contacted him early on and was told that he would honor the first come first served rule and that there were people ahead of me. And sure enough he got back to me weeks later to let me know I was next in line.

The only thing that didn't work out for me (and him) in this process, is that in the meantime I found the blue 1.7 that I've now bonded with and, as much as I'd love to buy his 6, I just can't take on another project or try to dump the 1.7. I know I'll regret not grabbing it but to be honest, completing Steve's work with the same attention to detail is work best left to someone perhaps younger and with more space than my 2-car garage will afford. Especially with one space reserved for my running Porsche.

Anyway, I thought I'd add my 2 cents FWIW. If I can help anyone with questions about the car feel free to PM.

Regards,

Ron

X2

I am one of the early respondents to the ad and have been contacted by Stephen. The price as advertised was honored. Stephen said that he was working thru the list of interested parties in the order that he received them. I have another car that I’m interested in and that’s the reason I didn’t move on this.

It’s his car and he is entitled to sell it anyway he likes.

This is a close community and the bashing is uncalled for.

GLWYS
Kaeferfreund
QUOTE(PaulFV8 @ Jun 7 2021, 07:13 PM) *

apologies for continuing to hijack your sale thread with questions about the lift. I don't have an engine to measure, if this enough room to remove/install the engine/trans?

thanks and stay safe

Hi, yes interesting jack solution. Who's the producer of this portable lift?
hlee96
So is the car sold?
johnhora
QUOTE(Kaeferfreund @ Jun 20 2021, 01:39 AM) *

QUOTE(PaulFV8 @ Jun 7 2021, 07:13 PM) *

thanks and stay safe

Hi, yes interesting jack solution. Who's the producer of this portable lift?

https://www.ezcarlift.com/index.html
914forme
Not yet, current person is looking into shipping logistics.
mepstein
QUOTE(914forme @ Jun 22 2021, 10:15 PM) *

Not yet, current person is looking into shipping logistics.

I have a great shipper to use as long as it’s east of the Rockies. Call me if I can help.

He shipped a 912 roller with every piece of the car in boxes and the engine on a pallet from WI to DE for $1,150 in an enclosed trailer. The driver was great, on time and polite.
hlee96
How far down the line will I be if I want this project? Never worked on 914 but it shouldn’t be more complicated than 928?! I’m in West Chest PA, so shipping along with parts shouldn’t be too bad.

Hoi (hlee96@yahoo)
914forme
Car has been sold, going to a wonderful buyer.
Van914
QUOTE(914forme @ Jun 25 2021, 09:44 AM) *

beerchug.gif
hlee96
QUOTE(Van914 @ Jun 27 2021, 07:20 AM) *

QUOTE(914forme @ Jun 25 2021, 09:44 AM) *

beerchug.gif

Congratulations!
roblav1
Thanks Stephen. Not so sure about "wonderful"(!!), but I bought the car.
mepstein
QUOTE(roblav1 @ Jul 1 2021, 02:53 PM) *

Thanks Stephen. Not so sure about "wonderful"(!!), but I bought the car.

Congrats!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.