Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oil Pressure Gauge Sender Kit?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
BillJ
I recently picked up a oil pressure gauge for my center console and need to get the sender side. Does anyone make a nice kit that works with our type 4s? Have seen a custom setup with using the oil pressure sensor port and creating a "t" to use both and can probably piece that together myself but a plug and play solution would be nice too. I have a VDO gauge that runs from 0-60psi and 0-5 kgf/cm2 and labeled on face with "I" at the 12 o'clock position and "522" at the 2 o'clock position. back has 3 spades.

I would like to preserve the light as well in the dash so having a solution for both is important to me.

Any help appreciated!
bbrock
They used to sell dual pole senders that let you connect both a gauge and the dash light. I bought mine over 30 years ago so don't know if they are still available.
brant
Buy a dual pole sensor

You should not really get a T

Most stand pipes and T’s used will end up cracking
leaking at the worst time
BillJ
Oh great! So would toss the old single pole sensor for the idiot light in the dash and can use existing green/black wire for idiot light then a second line for the center console gauge? Does anyone know the correct sender? Pretty bad at electrical stuff myself but really want to do this one at home.
FlacaProductions
Here's the dual pole - and while they sell it, they don't recommend it (which I find refreshing):
https://vwparts.aircooled.net/VDO-80psi-Oil...m-p/v360006.htm

"We don't feel that the VDO 80psi Oil Pressure, 10 X 1mm, Dual Pole Sending Unit is the "right" sender to use for aircooled VW Engines because the oil light comes on at too high a pressure. Stock is 2psi, this comes on at 7-8psi.
Aircooled VW Engines usually have a hot idle anywhere from 1.5-7psi when properly built (Proper sized pump), and using the correct viscosity oil (10psi/1k RPM hot cruise). More pressure than this at cruise causes the stock oil cooler to be bypassed, and oil temps skyrocket. When you size the pump and oil viscosity properly, you should see hot idle between 1.5-7psi.

If you use a VDO 2-Pole Sending Unit, the idiot light is triggered at 8psi, and you will be constantly freaking out at hot idle wondering "what's wrong".

The solution is to use a VDO 1-Pole Sender with the STOCK Oil Light Switch, to get the use of your Oil Pressure Gauge, with the correct operation of the stock oil pressure switch activating your Warning Light.

Regardless, we are offering this for you enthusiasts that want a high warning light pressure instead of the 2psi stocker."

Also check here:
https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/document....DocID=TECH00129

Lots of threads here if you search. 42 Draft Designs used to make a relocation kit with a block that allowed the use of the stock idiot light sender and a 2nd sender for the gauge - but they don't anymore. If you post a WTB, someone might still have one - that's how I got mine....
BillJ
Definitely interesting. They also sell a splitter block to use the stock sender for the idiot light at 2psi and a single pole for the pressure gauge. Probably best bet is to simply call those guys up and talk through the need.
mate914
I think some on here use a paintball gun hose. I ordered one, not here yet.
Matt
barefoot
There are threads here that discuss adapting a short flex hose and a Tee fitting to use dual senders. need to fab a little bracket to mount the Tee. A 1/8-27 pipe thread is almost exactly the same as the tapered metric thread in the case, so lots use an American thread hose.
914werke
& a way to ground the senders ~
johnhora
BillJ

I have this good used VDO made in Germany sending unit available if interested.

$27 shipped to you in CLT

Thanks

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
BillJ
I think I am going to get the predrilled block and new one pole sender and a new idiot light sender. Really cheap for all the parts considering and the only thing I am worried about is the line and the install into the block. Seem to remember the builder saying something about the hole being a different size from stock.

Would get these three things straight away then figure out the hose and clamp:

http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Oil-Pressure-...21-919-081b.htm

http://vwparts.aircooled.net/VDO-Sending-U...0-p/v240850.htm

http://vwparts.aircooled.net/VDO-80psi-Oil...F-p/v360003.htm
aharder
QUOTE(mate914 @ May 12 2021, 09:15 AM) *

I think some on here use a paintball gun hose. I ordered one, not here yet.
Matt

I set up a Paint Ball hose and put a 3 Way at the end of it. It has the original Dash Light fitting and a pressure gauge in the engine bay and a Line for my VDO Pressure gauge in the console. I would include some Pic's but I'm on the road.
FlacaProductions
I may be doing this install next week and the engine will be in - which means tight access.

Think it's possible to use a line socket to install the Level 42 Designs remote hose? Just trying to figure out how to get a wrench through the tins and i'm not sure a crows foot will do it.

something like this:
Click to view attachment
euro911
Those look like they'd work for great the CHT sensor installation/removal/replacement (XX-mm) ... not sure if you'd need one for the oil pressure sensor confused24.gif
BillJ
QUOTE(FlacaProductions @ May 12 2021, 09:02 PM) *

I may be doing this install next week and the engine will be in - which means tight access.

Think it's possible to use a line socket to install the Level 42 Designs remote hose? Just trying to figure out how to get a wrench through the tins and i'm not sure a crows foot will do it.

something like this:
Click to view attachment

Those ARE nice! Where can you get them? And 42 Design?
FlacaProductions
QUOTE(euro911 @ May 12 2021, 10:40 PM) *

Those look like they'd work for great the CHT sensor installation/removal/replacement (XX-mm) ... not sure if you'd need one for the oil pressure sensor confused24.gif

wouldn't need them for the stock oil pressure sensor, no - I'd need it for the installation of the hose in that same hole (obviously) for a remote oil pressure sender. it's gotta be tight with the engine in and the tins on. my real issue is that i'm in a different state than my 914 and i only get short bursts of time to mess around with it so i have to try to visualize and plan do research while I'm away.

search "line socket" and the appropriate size and you'll find options.
that pic came from amazon but there are numerous sources.

post a WTB ad here for a 42 Draft Design kit - maybe someone still has one on a shelf.
this is what they look like:
https://store.ngpracing.com/42-draft-design...cation-kit.html
Highland
Hi @BillJ , thought I'd post a picture of what I did. Before you hook up the idiot light sender, you might want to put a mechanical gauge on that port to compare to your VDO electric gauge. Just as an example, I was getting 4~6 psi at hot (215F) 1000 rpm idle on the VDO while I was getting 12 psi on my mechanical gauge. The VDO seems to read low throughout the range. Not a big deal, just nice to know you have oil pressure even though the gauge may not indicate so (at low rpm and hot days). If you're curious that's a 928 brake line.

Click to view attachment
BillJ
Thanks a ton for the picture that definitely helps! Suppose i could get a mechanical gauge with the rest of the purchase to confirm first. That's a good suggestion. Does the 928 fuel line also serve as a ground?
HansJan
QUOTE(Highland @ May 13 2021, 03:26 PM) *

Hi @BillJ , thought I'd post a picture of what I did. Before you hook up the idiot light sender, you might want to put a mechanical gauge on that port to compare to your VDO electric gauge. Just as an example, I was getting 4~6 psi at hot (215F) 1000 rpm idle on the VDO while I was getting 12 psi on my mechanical gauge. The VDO seems to read low throughout the range. Not a big deal, just nice to know you have oil pressure even though the gauge may not indicate so (at low rpm and hot days). If you're curious that's a 928 brake line.

agree.gif
The 928 brake line works great.
I used it after the standpipe broke and sprayed oil all over the engine.
Click to view attachment
aharder
Pictures of my set up for both plus 1 in the engine bay
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
930cabman
I am looking at doing something similar, but hard piped with the factory sender and a capillary tube gauge.
BillJ
I have read that hard pipe runs the risk of cracking over time?
BillJ
Are brake lines (928) plug and play or will i need an adapter on the case?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.