Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Front caliper pistons advice
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ddire333
While rebuilding the front brake calipers on my 74 I found two of the pistons where damaged. Ordered replacements (centric 146.42001) which are right size but different design, ie no place for the central pin as solid vs hollow base.

I found it discussed in another thread that removing the center pins is acceptable soliton to accommodate,

If so what's the best method to remove without damaging the caliper?

Click to view attachment
sixnotfour
Alot of peeps remove the pin,,But it keeps the piston close to the rotor..ie like a self adjuster... for a nice high pedal..
914Sixer
New pistons are a completely different design. They are an inverted cup, no need for centering pin.
Eric_Shea
I don't recommend using the Centric pistons or removing the pin. What was wrong with your stock pistons? They rarely, rarely fail. They have about 10-20x the durability in the plating that the Centric pistons do. Show me pictures and I may be able to help.

Also, caliper will begin sticking again soon if it's not plated. Call. We can help even with DIY projects.
ddire333
The issue with the originals is the part that contacts the pad has chip off slightly on both, i expect they would be ok but thought if I could replace easily I would. I'm not keen on removing the pin so might just go with them now.

Looked for a zinc plater here who would do, but none where responding so i just decided to go with a tear down, good clean, new seals and some high temp paint, hopefully i get way with it for a few years.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.