Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New Fuel Tank
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
AvalonFal
Yesterday morning I awoke to the smell of gasoline coming from my garage and discovered a small but constant gas drip that had turned into a decent size puddle under the front of my 914. The tunnel plastic lines were all previously replaced with SS, so I figured the tank or the hoses under it were the problem. After pulling the tank, I found a pinhole in the bottom - probably the beginning of the end for a 47 year old metal tank.

So, instead of repairing and cleaning out the old tank, I am looking into buying a new DANSK repro tank (<$200). Has anyone out there used these tanks? Appreciate any comments or thoughts about them??

Paul
ClayPerrine
I have not bought a new tank, but I will add this....

On Betty's car, we found that the tank had rusted through and became porus where the carpet pads were cushioning the tank from the chassis. It would seep through the rust when the tank was full.

I just ended up replacing the tank.

Clay
914Sixer
Bought one of the new ones for the 75. Was told the center ridge is too tall, just going to put a rubber pad under the bridge to make it fit. Not a big deal in my book. Have not installed yet.
SirAndy
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ May 12 2021, 11:14 AM) *

I have not bought a new tank, but I will add this....

On Betty's car, we found that the tank had rusted through and became porus where the carpet pads were cushioning the tank from the chassis. It would seep through the rust when the tank was full.

I just ended up replacing the tank.

Mine had the exact same problem. I sanded down the pitted area and filled it with epoxy. It's been leak free for some 15 years now.
popcorn[1].gif

GregAmy
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ May 12 2021, 01:14 PM) *

...we found that the tank had rusted through and became porus where the carpet pads were cushioning the tank from the chassis. It would seep through the rust when the tank was full.

Ditto here. Anything over 3/4 tank...tried a repair kit, no bueno. Installed a good used replacement.
BillJ
Just replaced mine with new a few months back. The tank is cheap so it was a no-brainer to not deal with clogged filters.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=351248&hl=
brant
I have a decent used original tank I need to dig out and sell
throwing that out as an option
brant
SirAndy
Where can one buy the Dansk tank?

Google is giving me some rather confusing results ...
blink.gif
AvalonFal
QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 12 2021, 04:01 PM) *

blink.gif

Saw it on Pelican but better price at CARiD.
914Sixer
Don't know if this is the cheapest one
BillJ
That is definitely a good price! Make sure they send the correct one though for your car. Plastic expansion tank gets the later version.
ndfrigi
QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 12 2021, 01:01 PM) *

blink.gif

@SirAndy

https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_Info/9142...AiABEgLCSvD_BwE
BillJ
Also - make sure to replace your fuel tank screen. It is pictured there in the PartsGeek page. You will be in there anyway and it will NOT come with the tank. Odds are you may tear the old one and its just a good idea.
SirAndy
QUOTE(ndfrigi @ May 12 2021, 02:39 PM) *

QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 12 2021, 01:01 PM) *

blink.gif

@SirAndy

https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_Info/9142...AiABEgLCSvD_BwE

Sure, but is that the right one? The one review there says it didn't have all the needed mounting points and the second version PP lists doesn't clarify that either.
Dansk's website is equally confusing ...
huh.gif
tygaboy
I just bought one last week. Parts Geek, of all places, was the lowest price. It was something like $207 shipped to me, arrived in 3 days. Same Dansk tank as everyone is selling.

audio_file
There are TWO (2) version of the Dansk, but sites like pelican don’t make that very clear. One for early cars, one for later models.
Steve
Brandon and I installed the 75 one from Sierra Madre in Brandon’s car. The only issue was what was mentioned earlier the rib is too high. NBD just used an extra felt pad. Can’t tell.
SirAndy
QUOTE(audio_file @ May 12 2021, 05:49 PM) *

There are TWO (2) version of the Dansk, but sites like pelican don’t make that very clear. One for early cars, one for later models.

Exactly. it would be nice to know what the differences are.

If it is just the tabs to mount the later accessories, that would be great.

However, if there are actual shape differences, that would suck. I want to retrofit my early car with late evap parts, including a working charcoal canister up front. If the '73+ tank does not fit my '70 body, i'll be pissed. Equally, if the '73+ tank fits but doesn't have all the needed tabs and doodads, i'll be pissed too.
blink.gif
audio_file
The Dansk that MiddleMotors put in my 75 didn’t get any complaints from Cary... next time we chat I’ll ask him for more detailed feedback.
Steve
The late model one had no tabs for a canister, but didn’t need t since the 75-76 has the canister in the engine compartment. AA sells both.
Here’s a picture of the early one. Looks like they added the canister tabs.
http://www.autoatlanta.com/porsche-parts/h...;section=201-00
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.