Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Deciding on another 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Long_ago
HI - I just joined. I bought a new 914 in 1973. Drove it 100,000 problem free miles and sold it.
i'm giving a lot of thought to buying another. i've looked around - and see the normal types of problems with a 50-ish year old car.

If I move forward - I'll be looking for a car that has minimal rust. I can do a lot - but I'm not a body fabrication guy.

I'm at a crossroads. My car was a long time ago - and I'd like to clarify to myself what reality is. Cars have come a long ways.

I certainly realize a 914 is a very basic car compared to the computers with a car wrapped around them of today.

I don't see or know of any 914s around me.
I'm in Central CA - 1 hour below Sacramento.
I'm looking for suggestions where I might be able to go to see 1. and a quick ride.
to sort out if I want to pursue buying one.
thanks
SirAndy
welcome.png

Since you are in CA, don't get a '76 unless you want to spent countless sleepless hours worrying about smog.

Other than that, my best advice is to buy the best one you can afford. That sometimes can also mean buying someone else's project that they didn't finish.

There are 3 major issues with 914s that you need to look out for:

1 - Rust
2 - Corrosion
3 - Fe2O3•32H2O

beerchug.gif
Long_ago
Thanks.
That's the curse trifecta of old cars.
I'm cruising through the vendors to see general parts availability.
And trying to figure out where anyone gathers together in NorCal or Central Valley..

euro911
There's quite a few members up in the central Cal area, so you'll be in good company.

There are several good sources for new/repro and used parts, both from brick & mortar establishments and members on this forum. Most of the commercial vendors are also long standing members here.

I'm probably forgetting some, but here's a start. I'm sure others here will complete the list ...

New and used parts:

914rubber.com (the Whitesell brothers)
Pelican Parts
Automobile Atlanta (George Hussey)

Used and refurbished parts:

Bruce Stone
Garold Schaffer

Others parts:

PMB (Eric Shea) for brake components & restorations - and assorted other goodies
Tangering Racing (Chris Foley)

welcome.png
Cairo94507
welcome.png

Sounds like a great way to get back into a 914 after having over 100K behind the wheel of one. In CA we are pretty fortunate as we seem to have a decent representation of 914s running around. If you want to see a pretty clean one you are welcome to come over to my place, 94507, and we can go for a ride. I can also put mine on the lift so you can see all of the problem areas to watch out for.

You have already heard the best advice from @SirAndy - buy the best one you can. Driving one is much better than looking at it sitting on jack stands. beerchug.gif
Long_ago
Everyone - thanks for your advice.

Michael - yes I'd like to come see your car. That would be great.
S,as,m,the are best.
Generally I can leave Tracy after the guys are started- so 9am.
Please let me knows what works best for you.
HB

strawman
I'm in San Luis Obispo, and own both a highly-modified (turbo Subaru, steel GT flares, bigger brakes, etc.) 1973 914, and a mostly stock 1975 914 barn find that I recently purchased to repair and "preserve." The latter needs some of the typical "hell hole" rust repairs, and it has a mediocre re-paint that needs to go. I've got a lift, too, so we can put 'em both up to see what to look out for. PM me with your phone number and we can chat.
Geoff
ndfrigi
QUOTE(Long_ago @ May 13 2021, 10:01 AM) *

Everyone - thanks for your advice.

Michael - yes I'd like to come see your car. That would be great.
S,as,m,the are best.
Generally I can leave Tracy after the guys are started- so 9am.
Please let me knows what works best for you.
HB

Just a side comment: Michael’s car is a very nice car like 100% perfect. It may be hard for you to find a 914 after looking at Michael’s car unless you have between $100k to $150k budget. Maybe attend one of the 914 gathering and compare various restoration or running 914 and get various ideas how much you will budget for the right one for you.

Cairo94507
My thought was for him to go for a ride and then to be able to point out problem areas to watch out for in his search.
Long_ago
I would like to go see anyone that will show their car and talk to me.
Good, bad, and ugly.
And I do really appreciate all the insights.
A wide variety helps with the feasibility of what's feasible and realistic.

Coondog
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ May 13 2021, 11:00 AM) *

My thought was for him to go for a ride and then to be able to point out problem areas to watch out for in his search.

I want a ride in your car to....... irish914.jpg first.gif
Cairo94507
@Coondog Anytime Greg. You are always welcome. Michael
ndfrigi
Sir Jim (banananose914) let me test drove both his white 914-6 and his very clean and perfect restoration tangerine 914-6, and that is why I can’t get rid of the 99 986 for a better HP compare to my current 74 Bahia red 2056. But 914 will still be a great car and I will keep it for a long time.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.