Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Broken Piece on Block?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Cool_PA
Hey all, I just disassembled my engine (2.0l 4 cylinder), and inside I found this broken internal piece on a threaded hole. It is next to middle cam bearing. I have a picture attached, is there a way to repair this?

Thanks
BeatNavy
Somebody wasn't following their torque specs while changing the oil... sad.gif

I don't know if that's repairable. I personally would look for another case.
euro911
That looks like a PO overtightened the oil pick-up tube bolt and broke the threaded fitting confused24.gif ... the torque spec for the bolt is < 7 ft lbs.

I doubt it can be repaired - you'll probably need to source a replacement case half dry.gif

EDIT: Rob, you beat me to the punch ... shades.gif
flyer86d
I had one like that on one of my track car blocks. I JB Welded it and was very careful the way I tightened it. Never had a problem.

Charlie
Nogoodwithusernames
If you have a guy that can TIG it is repairable. If he's competent he can weld it without warping the cam boss.

Search T4 syndrome on thesamba.com

Looks like at least a couple people have fixed it.
914sgofast2
Yepp, that is the dreaded Type 4 $yndrome. Either find a good welder and hope he doesn't distort the bearing saddle for the cam bearing in his repair efforts, or just get another engine case from a 914. The cases are pretty cheap, all things considered.

914 cases are largely interchangeable and don't get abused like the ones used in VW Bay Window buses. When you re-assemble your engine, don't over tighten the bolt that holds the oil pickup tube up off the floor of the crankcase and don't over tighten the bolt that centers the oil pickup tube and screen assembly. And do not replace/clean the oil pickup tube screen when doing oil changes. It's not necessary because the Type 4 engine has a real oil filter, unlike VW Bugs. DAPO's tend to think the bolt holding the oil pickup tube & screen in place is the drain plug, like on a Type 1 VW engine. They tend to tighten the heck out of it in a misguided effort to stop all the oil leaks. It isn't a drain plug and their efforts are all for nothing. That 's why the drain plug is right next to it on the bottom of the case.
Mark Henry
It can be fixed if it's a number matching case, if not it's scrap. Even if it was the numbers matching case I'd likely tuck that case under my bench and build on a better one.

Best cases to build on are the 1.7/1.8 case.
brant
Evan

One of the best welders I’ve ever met in my life owns a shop in longmont
He is FAA certified for helicopter blades
Definitely a place that could weld your block

Or I know a shop in grand junction that could do it

VaccaRabite
It can be fixed, but may be cheaper just to get a different case.

Zach
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.