Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oil tank dimensions?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DavidSweden
I have been looking at the factory oil tank drawing, does anyone know the distance between the grid lines? I guess it must be 100mm but that doesn't seem to match when compared to dimensioned parts on the drawing. Alternately what are the tank dimensions? Thanks in advance.

Click to view attachment
Mark Henry
Are you trying to make your own tank?
Every once and a while Ben (mb911) sells some parts kits to build one of his tanks.

I was going to make my own, too much work, I ended up watching the classifiďs until I found a good deal on a brand new DWD tank. Ben's tanks are a good price, it's what I'd get if I was doing another conversion.
930cabman
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ May 15 2021, 04:37 AM) *

Are you trying to make your own tank?
Every once and a while Ben (mb911) sells some parts kits to build one of his tanks.

I was going to make my own, too much work, I ended up watching the classifiďs until I found a good deal on a brand new DWD tank. Ben's tanks are a good price, it's what I'd get if I was doing another conversion.

+1, get in touch with Ben. His new aluminum welded tanks rock
mb911
I have 4 tanks not spoken for . If you need one I could provide a kit
brant
I built my own once upon a time
But borrowed a real one to compare to
And didn’t write down the dimensions
DavidSweden
Hello Ben,

Thanks for the offer, please PM me with the price for a kit as I do need a tank.

The only problem is that since Presidents Trump time in office we now have an import tariff of 30% (price of goods + shipping ) on all imports from the USA. (unless it can be sent as a gift)

Regardless of what opinions may be regarding protectionism its a bummer when you have to shell out an extra 30%.

EDIT PM sent to mb911
mb911
They are a tremendous amount of work as a kit. @superhawk996 did his own and one other guy but lots of work. I have made mine over the last 5 years and I have a system. It takes me about 4 hours start to finish to make a tank now but I have a system and built over 150 tanks to date.
Superhawk996
Ben's oil tanks are top notch. The kit is laser cut and fit up very well. You really couldn't ask for better. I love doing metal fab, have a TIG, and can use every bit of practice welding I can get so that is why I did it myslef from kit. Pictures of build up are in my build thread around page 11.

If that weren't my case, I'd have bought a finshed tank without hesitation.

Not to mention that even after welding you really still want to rig up a low pressure test kit to make sure there are no leaks before putting oil in it. Once oil get in there, a leak at that point is a PITA to fix.

And to boot, I like the idea of an aluminum tank. No corrosion. No buying questionable used tanks and wondering if they have chunks in them. Aluminum tank should offer incrementally better heat transfer. I know the oil tank isn't a cooler, but having it radiate more heat than a steel tank can't be a bad thing.

I'm not a customs broker but seems to me that sending money to someone by PP friends and familiy is a techinally treated by PP as a gift. If a bunch of scrap aluminum pieces showed up in the mail later on, completely unrelated. Say as an early Christmas present?

Chinese seem to be really working the customs limits of "sample parts" via eBay. Not sure how that pertains to EU.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.