Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Speedo Cable Maintenance?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Spoke
When I first purchased my 914 I replaced instrumentation lamps in the dash and inadverently kinked the speedo cable about 1 foot from the speedo. I've straightened
the kink in the sheath but suspect the inner shaft is also kinked. Speedo does the bouncing thing when running.

QUESTION: Is it possible to remove the inner speedo cable shaft at the tranny, fix the kink, clean and grease, then replace without removing the entire speedo cable from the car? So this means pulling the entire cable shaft out of the sheath, fix, and slide it back in. Is this possible??? Is it new cable time??

Thanks,
Spoke
SGB
I replaced mine about a year ago...
I don't think that the end that attaches at the trans will slide any farther into the housing. So I don't think you would be able to slide it out any- and think about that- working down in the floorboard like that will be a contortionist's delight. I think you should buy a new one, then keep using the old until it fails. It is possible the jumping action is from a loose drive gear assembly at the trans end, too. Replacing it wasn't as bad as I thought it could be. Tie a piece of speaker wire or other strong cord to it before you pull it out- IIRC, I think it pulls into the passenger compartment, not out the back towards the trans.
VegasRacer
hijacked.gif
Hey - nice song Scott. It reminds me of some early Lou Reed. aktion035.gif
SGB
There is definately a velvet underground influence in some of the Pavement stuff. One of my absolute favorite songs for almost 30 years now is "Train Coming 'Round the Bend". "Sweet Nothing" is great too. Oh, now I'm gonna be hearing Lou Reed songs in my head all day! Great! Thanks. clap.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.