Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 Rubber Rollbar / Sail Panel Vinyl Install
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
BeatNavy
I ordered and finally received some spray adhesive (no, not 3M 90 unfortunately dry.gif ) and want to install the 914 Rubber vinyl on rollbar and sail panels. As noted, looking for installation tips.

Did you have to make any relief cuts, like at the corner of the sail panel where it meets the rollbar?

Does the rollbar vinyl basically get placed on so there's an even amount going over the front and rear?

Does the bottom of the sail panel basically align with or go about even with the center of the holes for the chrome piece?

Any other tips before I go shooting adhesive spray all over the garage?

I've looked at several threads on here but just want to see if there is anything unique to the 914 Rubber pieces and how they are cut. I probably should have taken more notes / pics when I removed the old stuff, but I thought I'd be doing this pretty quickly....and apparently I was wrong. It's been several weeks, and my memory is a bit hazy on it now blink.gif

Thanks for any/all help.
76-914
Dry fit it 1st. The bottom will cover or just about cover the holes where the trim pops in. IIRC, you did need the relief cut at the top corner but keep it to a minimum or be ready for a nasty surprise. Ask me how I know! I held my vinyl in place with some small rare earth magnets while I decided how much to trim and where. They aren't overly generous with the material so measure twice and cut once. I tried the 3M spray adhesive once and it lifted in spots. The next time I used the Weldwood rubber cement and applied it with a small foam roller like is used for paint touch up. I think it would take a Gorilla to remove it. beerchug.gif
burton73
Eric at PMB did a write up on how to do this.

Bob B
BeatNavy
QUOTE(76-914 @ May 15 2021, 09:05 PM) *

Dry fit it 1st. The bottom will cover or just about cover the holes where the trim pops in. IIRC, you did need the relief cut at the top corner but keep it to a minimum or be ready for a nasty surprise. Ask me how I know! I held my vinyl in place with some small rare earth magnets while I decided how much to trim and where. They aren't overly generous with the material so measure twice and cut once. I tried the 3M spray adhesive once and it lifted in spots. The next time I used the Weldwood rubber cement and applied it with a small foam roller like is used for paint touch up. I think it would take a Gorilla to remove it. beerchug.gif

Great info, thanks. Using magnets seems like a great idea.

QUOTE(burton73 @ May 15 2021, 10:34 PM) *

Eric at PMB did a write up on how to do this.

He does, and it's very helpful in general. I don't think he was using the 914 Rubber vinyl when he wrote it up, however. It's been more than once where I've been installing a product and had to ask myself "am I supposed to trim this or not?"

Thanks fellas beer.gif
IronHillRestorations
Don’t do it all at once, do half at a time. Tape it in position and fold the bottom half up and tape it up to hold it. Mask it all off and apply glue to both surfaces. Smooth out as you position it. Repeat for top half. You can do it bottom/top or left right.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.