Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Deep rear valance
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mepstein
How do I tell if this is a four or a six?
ClayPerrine
Lay a short valence on top of it. If the notch for the muffler matches the hole in the long valence, it is for a four. If the hole is substantially inboard of the notch in the short valence, it is for a six.

At the swap meet in Temple, I had a guy try to tell me that in mid-year 70, the 914-6 went to the short valence. WTF.gif

Good luck.

Clay
ClayPerrine
And if you use the long valence for a four cylinder on a six, you can use a 911 muffler instead of a 914-6 muffler.

Why didn't VW and Porsche just use one valence for both the four and the six and use a 911 muffler they already had on the shelf? screwy.gif It would have been way more cost effective.
rgalla9146
If it's a 6 the hole is larger and closer to the outside
The 6 hole measures 3 3/4 " top to bottom
Cairo94507
That's a 6 valance. The 4 "porthole" is over towards the center about 2" more. beerchug.gif
mepstein
Thanks guys. Next question, what’s a reasonable selling price. It’s bent in two places as shown in the pic. Just some surface rust where the paint has come off. It’s been stored in a Texas attic for years so hasn’t been ravaged by east coast humidity. I don’t recall seeing and deep six valances for sale in the last year or three.
VegasRacer
QUOTE(mepstein @ May 17 2021, 05:25 PM) *

What’s a reasonable selling price. ?

idea.gif Five Hundred. confused24.gif
davep
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ May 17 2021, 01:46 PM) *
Why didn't VW and Porsche just use one valence for both the four and the six and use a 911 muffler they already had on the shelf? screwy.gif It would have been way more cost effective.

I agree, there were a lot of parts that could have been shared between 911 and 914, and between 914/4 and /6. It would have saved lot of cost all around.
rgalla9146
QUOTE(mepstein @ May 17 2021, 08:25 PM) *

Thanks guys. Next question, what’s a reasonable selling price. It’s bent in two places as shown in the pic. Just some surface rust where the paint has come off. It’s been stored in a Texas attic for years so hasn’t been ravaged by east coast humidity. I don’t recall seeing and deep six valances for sale in the last year or three.

I sold a NOS one three years ago for $1200. YMMV
Cairo94507
I say $500-$600 as is. beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.