Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New shift knob for my GTish clone
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mb911
Took a long time to get but got it and super happy with it. On instagram Thedavemason is whom made it. I just wanted to shareClick to view attachment
914Sixer
Sweeeet!
Mark Henry
thumb3d.gif

I think I have one of Zach's shift knobs, it came with a '72 914 I bought.
BillJ
that looks very very nice. I just scratched a little my original shift knob when test fitting my refurbished center console and may go this route...
VaccaRabite
What is that made out of, do you know?

I tried (and tried, and tried) to make knobs for cars out of engineered wood (spectraply is one of the brands, but there are many) but they got very unstable in the sun, and they all started cracking. I'd be interested to know what yours is made of, and if it remains stable in the sun/heat.

Zach

mb911
QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ May 18 2021, 05:36 AM) *

What is that made out of, do you know?

I tried (and tried, and tried) to make knobs for cars out of engineered wood (spectraply is one of the brands, but there are many) but they got very unstable in the sun, and they all started cracking. I'd be interested to know what yours is made of, and if it remains stable in the sun/heat.

Zach

Made of blood wood and ebony
mb911
Here are his postings. Some insight maybe for his process? Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
JOEPROPER
Very very nice. Small details enhance the character of the car.
VaccaRabite
The ones he makes from engineered wood won't last. They look great, but in the 10 knobs I made of that stuff, all of them failed within a month of my car sitting in the sun at work in the summer. Usually they failed within a week or so. The epoxy several of the brands use to bind the wood together isn't UV tolerant. Maybe tinted windows/windshields would work, but I just gave up on that material for that application.

Any of the solid woods laminated together should be fine, so long as he is using a quality glue.

It looks like he is using a CA finish on some of his knobs too. Sadly, my experience with that also wasn't great which is why I don't offer it any more. But maybe he's using a polished varnish that's a little more flexible.

Yours looks good. I really need to just pony up and get a laser graver.
Zach
Jett
QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ May 18 2021, 07:41 AM) *

The ones he makes from engineered wood won't last. They look great, but in the 10 knobs I made of that stuff, all of them failed within a month of my car sitting in the sun at work in the summer. Usually they failed within a week or so. The epoxy several of the brands use to bind the wood together isn't UV tolerant. Maybe tinted windows/windshields would work, but I just gave up on that material for that application.

Any of the solid woods laminated together should be fine, so long as he is using a quality glue.

It looks like he is using a CA finish on some of his knobs too. Sadly, my experience with that also wasn't great which is why I don't offer it any more. But maybe he's using a polished varnish that's a little more flexible.

Yours looks good. I really need to just pony up and get a laser graver.
Zach

I’ve heard that this machine is good for smaller jobs…

https://www.amazon.com/Upgraded-Protection-...2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==
mepstein
For the amount of time Ben will leave his 914 parked in the sun, I think he will be good. Even though I’m not a big fan of the windshield reflectors, I used to use one when I parked my 914 at work. I wanted to protect the dash.
mb911
Not sure about longevity though as Mark pointed out my car is driving on short runs around the lake, or around town and not long drives and sit in the sun so it should be fine for me. I know he sells a bunch of these knobs to TRE and they use them all the time. Regardless I like it.
Cairo94507
I really like it with the 901 pattern. beerchug.gif
gandalf_025
Click to view attachment

I picked up this guy at Carlisle
for 10.00 and figured I’d take a chance
on fixing it up.
I’m more interested in keeping things
Period Correct at this point...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.