Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Car won't shift into 4th or 5th! Any ideas?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Rsjg911
Hi Guys:
So I went to Gas up my 74 2.0L today cause we are moving on Thursday of next week. I couldn't get her into 4th or 5th even from a dead stop. headbang.gif Any ideas/suggestions on a fix/possible cost to have work done?
Thanks much all!
beerchug.gif
bdstone914
Check the bushings in the shift coupler at the firewall. if they are ok check the bushing in the shift console on the trans.
Dr Evil
QUOTE(Rsjg911 @ May 19 2021, 02:55 PM) *

Hi Guys:
So I went to Gas up my 74 2.0L today cause we are moving on Thursday of next week. I couldn't get her into 4th or 5th even from a dead stop. headbang.gif Any ideas/suggestions on a fix/possible cost to have work done?
Thanks much all!
beerchug.gif

I am wondering if maybe you have a sheered roll pin in your shifter at the trans. Check ball end, or internal, since it appears all of your external stuff should not be causing this. Are you able to put the shifter into the 4-5 plain? I would still suspect the engine to bar mounts unless you tried to lift engine with jack to assure they are not torn. Check bolt on coupler in tunnel at bottom of the shifter in cabin, the one that clamps onto the splined end of the intertunnel shifter rod.
Rsjg911
QUOTE(Rsjg911 @ May 19 2021, 02:55 PM) *

Hi Guys:
Thanks much all!
beerchug.gif

Thank you BD Stone and Dr. Evil. We will check them tomorrow!@
dr914@autoatlanta.com
Put the lever towards fourth and fifth and push in and out on the clutch pedal. If you feel the movement in the shift knob, the clutch tube has broken loose and is interfering with the shift rod. If not, " like the man said" shift bushings (especially coupler bushings) and or loose set screws. POSSSIBLY the shift set screw in the base has come loose.
Rsjg911
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ May 19 2021, 06:10 PM) *

Put the lever towards fourth and fifth and push in and out on the clutch pedal. If you feel the movement in the shift knob, the clutch tube has broken loose and is interfering with the shift rod. If not, " like the man said" shift bushings (especially coupler bushings) and or loose set screws. POSSSIBLY the shift set screw in the base has come loose.

So I got the car to KNW Motorsports in Boca this morning ant it was indeed the firewall and side shifter bushings. 35 minute fix!!

Thanks to all who responded. I truly appreciate your expertise.
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
Steve
I replaced every piece of rubber and plastic on my car and got bit by the shift coupler. It hides under the rubber boot and you don’t think to check it. After 40+ years it’s going to fail eventually. I also lost half my gears on the track and limped home.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.