Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sports Car Club alternative
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
djm914-6
Trial #2

Several people here have asked me about my signiture so I thought I would attempt to have a thread on the idea of a Christian based Sports car club. I'm looking for ideas and guidence on starting a club.

I will not attempt to push my religion on anyone not even talk about Christian ideal on this board. This is mainly a feeler to see if anyone is interested and to aquire email address' and contacts for those interested in such an idea.

PLEASE, don't use this thread to start a debate over religions and such. If that happens again, I'll just delete the whole thing again. Thank you.

So, What do you think of CISCO?
914GT
QUOTE (djm914-6 @ Jul 22 2005, 09:55 AM)
So, What do you think of CISCO?

It's a registered trade name for a network hardware company.
stecz
What's the goal of the proposed club?
TROJANMAN
how about "Godspeed"
ematulac
QUOTE (TROJANMAN @ Jul 22 2005, 10:16 AM)
how about "Godspeed"

I like that.
JWest
I'll PM you my info.
seanery
inflamatory comments will be deleted. smile.gif
jimkelly
In only 7 posts - this thing is coming to a head - Jim.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE (rdauenhauer @ Jul 22 2005, 11:30 AM)
Fuck You SEAN if Politics shouldnt be tollerated on this board than Religious Prostelizing  shouldnt be tloerated either mad.gif  :finger:

The reason that politics got the boot is that during the 2004 presidential election there was a heated and nasty debate about the canidates merits. The admin team decided that we really didn't need to have divisive discussions about politics here.

This thread is an attempt to get like minded sports car owners together. It was stated in the opening thread that this was not to be a discussion on religion.

Also, we don't have a rule about religion because it has not caused the problems the election thread did.

FYI... there are two things I never discuss with anyone. Religion and politics. Because no matter what the make up of a group is, either of those subjects will piss someone off. biggrin.gif
jimkelly
I agree 1000% - there is no compromise to be when these two hot button topics are discussed. - Jim ( peace out smile.gif
ArtechnikA
the initial post solicited opinions about a CAR CLUB. sheesh.
there's all kinds of car clubs with various special interests.
i understand there's even one for Porsche owners.

i see no reason why groups of like-minded individuals should not be allowed to meet for any legal, nonviolent purpose. i see nothing wrong with MENTIONING that such an organisation is being discussed.

Dave's PM and email links work. if you're interested, he's not hard to get hold of. if you're not, don't.
nebreitling
this is not even a thread about religion. it's about like-minded people of a certain faith getting together. what's the harm? i'm not at all religious, and i think this is a great idea. beerchug.gif
URY914
Ever seen the "RFC" decals on dragsters?

I say let the thread stand. No one is pushing anyone to do anything.

We all have gotten a little closer to God when working on these cars anyway. biggrin.gif

P
horizontally-opposed
I say let the thread stand, too.

Among all the other things tolerated here, this certainly should be. Especially if it's not even DISCUSSING religion or its tenents!

Please put my vote in for Godspeed, too. Far better than CISCO and a cool word with a great meaning, too.

Peace to all,

pete
tat2dphreak
there are car clubs and christian clubs, I think combining them is a fine idea...

and this thread isn't petitioning that we become christians... let it stand.
Andyrew
Were part of RFC (like paul said, racers for christ)

But, Me and dad are behind you in every way.

Godspeed is cool.

We currently have a website that dad bought that was for this purpose, but didnt get any attention. Its currently blank.... www.teamgracer.com We just host pics and vids from it now.

Andrew
Aaron Cox
i mean, how is it different than "beer drinkers car club" etc.....

1 group of people....1 common interest....

awesome idea guys!
horizontally-opposed
You could also do a very cool graphic logo, say black background, simple white font, and two red stripes, one on top of the word and one below it?

I can see it, but someone with skills can probably cook it up -- as well as a few others. Make it in a few sizes...

pete
redshift
I like the Godspeed thingy. I probably wouldn't fit in your club very well, but that doesn't mean you can't have it.

smile.gif

M
anthony
I guess I don't get the point of having a religious car club. Is the point to talk about cars or religion? In my opinion when you tack on religion (especially a specific religion) to any club then the club becomes exclusive and non-welcoming to all people.
Brando
I'm going to start a Pagan Racing club.

... wait, it's just me? FUCK. dry.gif

"Godspeed" is a good idea for your group. But what about the faster guys?
tat2dphreak
QUOTE (redshift @ Jul 22 2005, 02:16 PM)
I like the Godspeed thingy. I probably wouldn't fit in your club very well, but that doesn't mean you can't have it.

smile.gif

M

agree.gif

though I don't necessarily agree with your opinion I'll defend your right to have that opinion to the end! beerchug.gif
redshift
QUOTE (anthony @ Jul 22 2005, 03:23 PM)
I guess I don't get the point of having a religious car club. Is the point to talk about cars or religion? In my opinion when you tack on religion (especially a specific religion) to any club then the club becomes exclusive and non-welcoming to all people.

Anthony, I understand what you are saying, but clubs need not be all inclusive, and if they aren't, it's just like minded people, enjoying the same things that I enjoy, with a different twist.

I can't be a member of many clubs, I don't need to litigate them into non-existance though.

smile.gif

Tolerance works both ways, and not saying you, but many people don't get that.

M
redshift
QUOTE (Brando @ Jul 22 2005, 03:31 PM)

I am not a pagan, but I'd be in that club, if it came with a cool sticker.

smile.gif

Oh, and the faster guys can be called the "Toyota Corolla Club".

M
djm914-6
YIPES!

I leave you all alone for a few hours and this is what happens. biggrin.gif

The name isn't important right now. I know how upsetting any talk of religion can be to this club in particular and to people in general which is why I'm mainly interested in getting names with contact information of those interested. PMs are fine, Email is good. Cell works too.

CISCO is a name that came to me one day a few months ago. It is a common name and in this case and acronim (SP?) so it can not be copyright protected.

Purpose is to get a following of people with similar interests together. Together in this day in age is a wide spectrum. It can mean actual gatherings or Just another contact. I don't know where this will take me. I won't exclude anyone but I won't cater to everyone. If you're interested, let me know and we'll start talking. If You're not interested, then read no more.

ArtechnikA
...In my opinion when you tack on religion (especially a specific religion) to any club then the club becomes exclusive and non-welcoming to all people.

clubs are by definition exclusionary.
otherwise, it's just "the human race."

look at us here - we're pretty intolerant of people who think, generally, that all Porsche owners are snobs and 914's are crap.

if you don't see the point, you probably wouldn't fit in there very well.
i *do* see the point, and i probably wouldn't fit in there very well.

because there are so many places where religion is "off limits," i can see that people who feel outwardly and openly faithful would grow tired of having to be "politically correct" all the time. if there are a bunch of car guys who'd like an enviroment in which they can feel comfortable having a group prayer before a rallye, or a dinner, or whatever, cool. there's that 'freedom of association' concept in the constitution.
tat2dphreak
QUOTE (ArtechnikA @ Jul 22 2005, 03:04 PM)
...In my opinion when you tack on religion (especially a specific religion) to any club then the club becomes exclusive and non-welcoming to all people.

clubs are by definition exclusionary.
otherwise, it's just "the human race."

look at us here - we're pretty intolerant of people who think, generally, that all Porsche owners are snobs and 914's are crap.

if you don't see the point, you probably wouldn't fit in there very well.
i *do* see the point, and i probably wouldn't fit in there very well.

because there are so many places where religion is "off limits," i can see that people who feel outwardly and openly faithful would grow tired of having to be "politically correct" all the time. if there are a bunch of car guys who'd like an enviroment in which they can feel comfortable having a group prayer before a rallye, or a dinner, or whatever, cool. there's that 'freedom of association' concept in the constitution.

agree.gif well said.
Reiche
QUOTE (URY914 @ Jul 22 2005, 11:40 AM)
We all have gotten a little closer to God when working on these cars anyway. biggrin.gif

At any rate, I have certainly, and often, invoked His wrath upon 914s I have been working on. And 914s already inspire, and almost require, a religious devotion to keep on the road.

Whatever, guys, club away.

bd1308
I have a server with a forum software (completly customizable in PHP) already ready for you to go. I *LOVE* this idea.....

PM me and I'll set you up in like 10 seconds.
Brett W
Good idea. I like the name Godspeed. Sounds better than CISCO. Everyone makes good points except those intolerant few.
grantsfo
I was thinking it would be cool to have an Eastern Philosophy club called the Blazing Buddhists. Man think of the mental excercizes we could have before AX and track days. ...one with the car. biggrin.gif

I guess the thing I like about car culture is that it cuts across religious and cultural boundries. It would seem awfully boring to me to be surrounded with people who share similar ideologies. But certainly isnt anything wrong with it. It is a way however of excluding people who dont share your beliefs no matter how you spin it.
Mr.C
Count me in Dave. I need a change. monkeydance.gif
914GT
QUOTE (djm914-6 @ Jul 22 2005, 12:57 PM)
CISCO is a name that came to me one day a few months ago. It is a common name and in this case and acronim (SP?) so it can not be copyright protected.

I seriously doubt if their lawyers will come after you. Cisco does show the name as a registered trademark however.
jhadler
I thought there already was one.. All of 'em.

After all, we all pray to "our lady of blessed acceleration" (nod to the Blue Brothers) every Sunday morning when the green flag drops. driving.gif

That's all I'm gonna say on the matter....no, I'm not interested though...

-Josh2
bd1308
right but in this case, you canna copyright a acronym....so Christian Insipred Sports Car Club is A-OTAY.....

of course CISCO has a copyright on the name though.....

I'd say it's okay though. If the admin gets a email, it'll be changed.

with that being said, NARP is now regestered to me.
NARP ™
Reiche
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Jul 22 2005, 03:06 PM)
right but in this case, you canna copyright a acronym

I would be surprised if Cisco Systems came after you, but I would be even more surprised if what you're saying is true. For example, I'm certain FIAT is copyrighted (Fabbrica Italiana Automobili Torino.) Any business-related pattern of letters not in common usage can be copyrighted.
bd1308
i dunno.....any lawyers in the house?
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (Reiche @ Jul 22 2005, 06:33 PM)
Any business-related pattern of letters not in common usage can be copyrighted.

not copyright, whole different concept.

TRADEMARK is what you mean.

wasn't there a song about the Cisco Kid about a hundred years ago ?
seanery
...The Cisco Kid was a friend of mine....
Allan
Godspeed. Cool sound. It probably isn't for me but there is a Baptist pastor in town who drives a '73 2.0 who I would refer.
Series9
QUOTE (tat2dphreak @ Jul 22 2005, 12:37 PM)
..... I'll defend your right to have that opinion to the end! beerchug.gif

I agree Wayne, but be careful, they won't return the favor.
redshift
If some people find this place unacceptable for daily consuption, what would we do to stop them?

(wink.gif Joe)

M
Grimstead
QUOTE (Brando @ Jul 22 2005, 12:31 PM)

Hey don't forget me! You're not the only heathen about. happy11.gif

As for Godspeed, all the luck to them smilie_pokal.gif
GWN7
There was another case of two companys using the same combination of letters to identify themselves ......WWF ...World Wildlife Fund and the wrastlers.....Vince had to change the name of his company.....
Series9
QUOTE (Grimstead @ Jul 22 2005, 04:10 PM)
QUOTE (Brando @ Jul 22 2005, 12:31 PM)

Hey don't forget me! You're not the only heathen about. happy11.gif

As for Godspeed, all the luck to them smilie_pokal.gif

I want to be a heathen. What would the name be.......914world.com? happy11.gif
redshift
I have to admit, outside of the board, I refer to this thread as Noah's Ark, and I am wondering if David has a weather report that I missed. unsure.gif

biggrin.gif

M
djm914-6
Miles,
How long can you tread water?
Mr.C
Goats can swim?
redshift
idea.gif

No matter how long, prolly just short of my needs. wink.gif

smile.gif

Goats don't swim, but if you pump them up... they float.

M
scottb
hey dave, more power to you..... smilie_pokal.gif

not my cup of mead but:

"I may not agree with a word you say,
but I shall defend unto my death your right to say it."
-- Voltaire (1694-1778)

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.