Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Speedo gearing
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
arsprod
I had my speedometer repaired several years ago after it crashed. It's never been correct - exactly 10mph fast. Now it bugs me! My assumption is the repair place (no longer in business, big surprise) used the wrong gearing. Can someone tell me the correct gearing and where to buy parts for speedos? Many thanks
Retroracer
If its "10mph fast" at every speed - then the needle was reassembled in the wrong position (or, has shifted). Nothing to do with gearing.

If the error is proportional to speed - eg. +10mph at 60, +5mph at 30 - then its a gearing problem. Are you running stock rims and OE profile tires? If not, that will also need to be factored in if the gearing seems off....

- Tony
arsprod
QUOTE(Retroracer @ May 20 2021, 02:07 PM) *

If its "10mph fast" at every speed - then the needle was reassembled in the wrong position (or, has shifted). Nothing to do with gearing.

If the error is proportional to speed - eg. +10mph at 60, +5mph at 30 - then its a gearing problem. Are you running stock rims and OE profile tires? If not, that will also need to be factored in if the gearing seems off....

- Tony

Aha! Yes, it's consistent so it's as simple as moving the needle?
Retroracer
So - yes and no!

Yes: it would seem that the fix is "simply" realigning the needle on the shaft, but..

No: in that you'll have to pry off the bezel off to get access to the needle. Removing bezels is a bit of an acquired skill / art form, and its easy to munge one up unless you're well practiced. Given the case you've had your speedo rebuilt, they probably replaced the bezel with a new one - in which case I'd suggest getting either the original shop to fix the issue or contact someone like Palo Alto Speedometer to make things right.

- Tony
arsprod
QUOTE(Retroracer @ May 21 2021, 12:18 PM) *

So - yes and no!

Yes: it would seem that the fix is "simply" realigning the needle on the shaft, but..

No: in that you'll have to pry off the bezel off to get access to the needle. Removing bezels is a bit of an acquired skill / art form, and its easy to munge one up unless you're well practiced. Given the case you've had your speedo rebuilt, they probably replaced the bezel with a new one - in which case I'd suggest getting either the original shop to fix the issue or contact someone like Palo Alto Speedometer to make things right.

- Tony

Understood, I "munged" one up from an old Italian motorcycle! Thanks
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.