Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Question about seat tracks
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Cairo94507
Hi everyone- Problem solved. So my driver's seat is giving me grief. If I slide the seat forward, to vacuum or put something behind it then I can't get it to slide back without getting a long skinny screwdriver and sticking it into the track to lift a silver piece of spring metal up to go over what appears to be a stud welded to the actual seat track. I never had this issue in any of my other 914's. I tried to take a picture of the stud that sticks up. It appears to belong on the seat track, not like it was added by a PO. What is the deal here? How do I get my seat to slide like it should w/o getting locked up on this stud?

You can see it sticking up (blurry) better int he bottom photo:
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Rob-O
Sounds like one of two things. First, there is a handle at the front of the rails that is used to move the seat forward and backwards. You lift up on that handle (which lifts the tang you mentioned) so the seat can move. If you have that handle then perhaps the seat rails got switched and it’s on the wrong side of the seat.
Cairo94507
@Rob-O - So yeah, I have the handle on the seat for the adjuster. But you raised an interesting point about the rails betting switched. I was not even sure that was possible but now I will pull the seat out and see what I can see.

Any other thoughts about this issue?

raynekat
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ May 20 2021, 02:21 PM) *

@Rob-O - So yeah, I have the handle on the seat for the adjuster. But you raised an interesting point about the rails betting switched. I was not even sure that was possible but now I will pull the seat out and see what I can see.

Any other thoughts about this issue?

The rails are definitely side specific.
So start there.
Perhaps you do have them flip flopped.
windforfun
Both seat handles should be on the inside by the center tunnel.
Chris914n6
the rail with the spring is off 180 on the seat. the spring is a catch that keeps the seat from sliding too far forward to pin you into the steering wheel in the event of a bad frontal crash.
Rob-O
@cairo94507 ah, jeez! I wrote that reply without even looking at who posted it! Given your time here I should’ve known you would know about the adjuster handle! biggrin.gif

But the rails being on the wrong side of the seat? Hope that is your easy fix answer, buddy! smile.gif When I restored the bases on my car and had the seats recovered (Autobahn in San Diego) I installed them on the wrong sides initially.
Cairo94507
Excellent. This is just another example of why the World is the best! This weekend I will pull the seat and see what I can do to remedy that issue. Thanks a lot everyone. beerchug.gif
eric9144
QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ May 20 2021, 08:06 PM) *

the rail with the spring is off 180 on the seat. the spring is a catch that keeps the seat from sliding too far forward to pin you into the steering wheel in the event of a bad frontal crash.

agree.gif
I'd have to look to be 100% sure but I think you can actually mount the spring side 180 and when it's backwards it does weird things like let you slide off the rails forward but makes you shim it up to push it back, the opposite of its intended function.

I'd swapped in Konig seats in the /4 long ago and had this issue, pretty sure it was easy as flipping the one rail the correct direction.... but I could be nuts too w00t.gif screwy.gif
Cairo94507
@eric9144 - And that is exactly what it is doing. I will hopefully fix that Sunday. beerchug.gif
Cairo94507
Problem solved. Flipped the outer driver's seat track 180 and that solved the problem. Now the seat does not come off the track but it will slide all the way forward and back like it should. One less item on the list. beerchug.gif
eric9144
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ May 23 2021, 02:31 PM) *

Problem solved. Flipped the outer driver's seat track 180 and that solved the problem. Now the seat does not come off the track but it will slide all the way forward and back like it should. One less item on the list. beerchug.gif

piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif

Awesome!
Mcraneiowa
Sounds like you have that seat track on backwards. Will only allow it to slide back so far. Try taking that side off and turning it around.
Cairo94507
Yes, that was the problem. All good now. beerchug.gif
Rob-O
Glad to hear it’s resolved. It’s great when posters circle back around and let everyone know how it was resolved. It’ll help someone in the future!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.