Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Carb Identification
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
cause
My car came with a fuel injection conversion to a Weber downdraft—I need to order a rebuild kit but not sure which version of the carb this is. Anyone recognize it?Click to view attachment
cause
Click to view attachment
Superhawk996
Sarcasm Alert:

Rebuild kit:
https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_Info/WEBK...BiABEgKvYfD_BwE

On a more serious note -- I think that two barrel progressive carb was called a DFEV by Weber. Others with more knowlege of those progressives will chime in.

DFEV kits:
https://www.jbugs.com/product/43-5804.html?...AyABEgIT7fD_BwE
Al Meredith
Weber 32-36 kits are available from most suppliers , VW and 914. on a 914 engine you should increase the size of the Idle jet.
Shivers
Friends don't let friends rebuild center mounted progressive carburetors. That said: https://www.ebay.com/itm/191571335298?_trkp...IYaAntUEALw_wcB
SirAndy
CODE

Manufacturer: Boat
Model:        Anchor

shades.gif

Superhawk996
Just noticed OP is pretty new.

@cause

Maybe a harsh response to the new guy.

1st off
welcome.png

Maybe a brief explanation is in order.

Pulling fuel & air mix though long runner tubes like that is not desirable. Fuel tends to come out of suspension as it contacts long tube runners. Especially when engine is cold and/or temps outside are cold.

Usually engine power is lost with this setup. It does work (meaning the car runs) and was done to lots of cars back in the day - usually due to cost constraints.

Lot's of other info on the Web and on this site if you want more details on why progressive carbs aren't in favor.

Hopefully you can appreciate the cynical humor.
IronHillRestorations
The single two barrel progressive carb is a popular budget conversion, and with a good carb pretty fail safe, but also lacking in performance. They work, just not great.

The distance from the carb to the combustion chamber is too far and results in a remarkable flat spot (stumble, bog, fall on it's face) at hard acceleration from low rpms. In very cold weather they're terrible because they never get warmed up, not that anyone drives a 914 in that kind of cold anymore.

Dual (definitely not duel) Weber IDF's or Delorto duals is the way to go and will help your 914 to perform like a sports car.
930cabman
Redline has a twin Weber 40IDF setup for reasonable $$.

Best of luck and welcome aboard
cause
Yeah this is all info that I figured. I'm not new to mechanics, just this car.
Following the above I just bought the dual setup
bbrock
You made a good choice. To confirm what others have said, I tried running the single carb setup on a 1.7L and a VW bus. Both ran well enough for grocery getters but would bog down on acceleration and it took the soul out of the 914. Both would freeze up half way to work on cold days and leave me stranded at the side of the road trying to thaw the runners and the block of ice around he carb. Back then you could by dual 34ICT kits for not much more than the single carb so that's what I replaced the singles with. Still no top end but I didn't have to sweet talk them into moving every time I stepped on the gas and were much less prone to freezing (although it still happened on rare occasions. welcome.png
Root_Werks
QUOTE(cause @ May 21 2021, 04:30 AM) *

Good call! You'll be much happier with a dual setup.

And yes,

welcome.png
Superhawk996
QUOTE(cause @ May 21 2021, 07:30 AM) *

Man. I think this might be the 1st time someone has take the dual IDF advice so easily. laugh.gif We need more members like @cause .

You won't regret it. I originally ran my 1.7L on IDF's and stock cam. At least had decent throttle response though I don't think I picked up any power (didn't understand FI back then).

Later on rebuilt to 1911 cc with 96mm pistons, slightly higher CR, and a cam suitable to carbs. Then life got way more fun!
roblav1
That's what we in Navy would say - give it the flotation test.

QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 20 2021, 06:52 PM) *

CODE

Manufacturer: Boat
Model:        Anchor

shades.gif

cause
Finally had some time today to install the kit I got off of eBay...holy crap what a difference!!! The old kit that was in there had broken gaskets and everything was loose.
I ordered the correct jets needed to adjust them a little more, but in the meantime the pickup, throttle response and sound are absolutely incredible. It also starts so much easier now too
Root_Werks
Very cool! Dual carbs are so much better than a single carb having fuel travel through those long tubes.

Plus, yes, they sound cool!
Shivers
QUOTE(cause @ Jun 18 2021, 02:23 PM) *

Finally had some time today to install the kit I got off of eBay...holy crap what a difference!!! The old kit that was in there had broken gaskets and everything was loose.
I ordered the correct jets needed to adjust them a little more, but in the meantime the pickup, throttle response and sound are absolutely incredible. It also starts so much easier now too

Just a suggestion, I see you are on the right coast. They make a 914-6 hand throttle kit. When it's cold you can bring up the idle for warm up and not have to keep a foot on the throttle.
JamesM
QUOTE(cause @ Jun 18 2021, 01:23 PM) *

You think that is impressive...

Try fuel injection poke.gif

biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.