Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ebay is now charging 12.5%
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
GeorgeKopf
Most categories, including eBay Motors > Automotive Tools & Supplies.

12.55% on total amount of the sale up to $7,500 calculated per item stromberg.gif
2.35% on the portion of the sale over $7,500 barf.gif

And, the last time I used Ebay they charged me 10% on the shipping cost too.
sheeplove.gif

mepstein
Way too much.

Root_Werks
Is that for the sellers? I don't use Ebay much anymore, but occasionally someone will have something I need.
JeffBowlsby
They also now require your account be linked to your bank account. Hackers would love to get our bank account info. No thanks. Buh-bye ebay.
Ansbacher
A pig's apatite is directly proportional to its size. Good riddance eBay!

Ansbacher
GeorgeKopf
QUOTE(Root_Werks @ May 21 2021, 02:28 PM) *

Is that for the sellers? I don't use Ebay much anymore, but occasionally someone will have something I need.

@Root_Werks Yes this is for sellers but that means that sellers are adding 12.5% to the price to cover their costs.
914Sixer
Got a news letter from FedEx. They have too much business so they are going to start adding fee to surcharge to deliver. Says from $.30 for small stuff to $30 extra on top of the oversize charge. Click to open schedule.
jd74914
Lately eBay looks more like banggood than an auction site. There really don't seem to be good deals to be had now except in categories like used books.
jd74914
QUOTE(914Sixer @ May 21 2021, 04:04 PM) *

Got a news letter from FedEx. They have too much business so they are going to start adding a surcharge to deliver. Says from $.30 for small stuff to $30 extra on top of the oversize charge.

dry.gif Its crazy...charging a surcharge to make more money. Normal businesses would add people and keep similar per part prices...
Andyrew
I sold some things a couple years ago... Fees totaled up to nearly 25% of the auction cost...
bdstone914
I found that selling on ebay usualky cost amout 20% when you add in listing fees, selling fees and PayPal fees. Last item i posted was supposed to be free if id did not sell. They took $20 anyway and it did not sell.
GregAmy
eBay is long past being a garage sale between individuals. They want to compete with Amazon, not tag sales.

I used to sell some scooter starters that I modded to work on another scooter that had NLA starters. Between shipping, eBay fees, and PayPal fees it became not worth my time.
roblav1
I stopped using EvilBay at least 5 years ago... it got to be so bad. And Paypal is there now too. I'd rather do checks for transactions between trusted people.
billh1963

Ebay "jumped the shark" years ago. I started using eBay in 1999 and I miss the early days when you could find all sorts of great items and sellers fees were like 3%. Now it reminds me of a cheap flea market.
76-914
QUOTE(914Sixer @ May 21 2021, 02:04 PM) *

Got a news letter from FedEx. They have too much business so they are going to start adding fee to surcharge to deliver. Says from $.30 for small stuff to $30 extra on top of the oversize charge. Click to open schedule.

FedEx sent me a letter saying that I owed them $57 from some items I shipped last July because of an error in the weight. I called and told them it was there error as it was weighed by their employee at their store. I had no way of weighing it since it was bulky and over 100 lb's. Furthermore, the Canadian buyer had paid the shipping charges and that transaction was over 8 months old. I no longer had any way of collecting that money from him. The lady said that I needed to send a letter disputing the charge and tell them why in my letter. A month later I get a boiler room form saying that they intend to turn over my debt to a collection agency but not a word about the disputed claim I'd sent them via email. I wrote back saying some one thought they would A: bully me into paying B: stick their head in the sand and hope I'd pay or C: they didn't read or receive my dispute. I sent it "certified mail" along with my original email disputing the charge on Wednesday. It will be interesting to see their next move. Oh, I forgot to mention that before I received their demand they tried to charge my CC that amount (I have a FedEX acc't) and Capitol One denied the charge. av-943.gif
john77
This hurt my brain to read. In what world is this now your problem? It's like buying something in a store and them contacting you months later to say the sticker price they put on it was wrong, so now you're going to have to pay the difference. Pretty sure any court in the country would laugh that out. Clowns.

QUOTE(76-914 @ May 21 2021, 05:49 PM) *

QUOTE(914Sixer @ May 21 2021, 02:04 PM) *

FedEx sent me a letter saying that I owed them $57 from some items I shipped last July because of an error in the weight. I called and told them it was there error as it was weighed by their employee at their store. I had no way of weighing it since it was bulky and over 100 lb's. Furthermore, the Canadian buyer had paid the shipping charges and that transaction was over 8 months old. I no longer had any way of collecting that money from him. The lady said that I needed to send a letter disputing the charge and tell them why in my letter. A month later I get a boiler room form saying that they intend to turn over my debt to a collection agency but not a word about the disputed claim I'd sent them via email. I wrote back saying some one thought they would A: bully me into paying B: stick their head in the sand and hope I'd pay or C: they didn't read or receive my dispute. I sent it "certified mail" along with my original email disputing the charge on Wednesday. It will be interesting to see their next move. Oh, I forgot to mention that before I received their demand they tried to charge my CC that amount (I have a FedEX acc't) and Capitol One denied the charge. av-943.gif

Dave_Darling
QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ May 21 2021, 01:36 PM) *

They also now require your account be linked to your bank account. Hackers would love to get our bank account info.

That's why you have a special ebay-only checking account with no checks. Money comes in, it gets transferred straight to my regular account. No overdraft protection, either, so if they try to pull money out it just bounces.

--DD
StarBear
QUOTE(billh1963 @ May 21 2021, 08:16 PM) *

Ebay "jumped the shark" years ago. I started using eBay in 1999 and I miss the early days when you could find all sorts of great items and sellers fees were like 3%. Now it reminds me of a cheap flea market.

An expensive flea market.
rgalla9146
QUOTE(StarBear @ May 22 2021, 07:39 AM) *

QUOTE(billh1963 @ May 21 2021, 08:16 PM) *

An expensive flea market.

agree.gif The heyday of ebay is long over.
It was once a very good resource for both buyer and seller.
Now you waste tme looking at the same cheap widget listed 100 times over three
pages for the sme price from the same seller. And expensive to boot.
How is that good ? what is the logic ?
Another good thing ruined.
JeffBowlsby
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ May 21 2021, 08:33 PM) *

They also now require your account be linked to your bank account. Hackers would love to get our bank account info.

That's why you have a special ebay-only checking account with no checks. Money comes in, it gets transferred straight to my regular account. No overdraft protection, either, so if they try to pull money out it just bounces.

--DD

That’s the right workaround for it Dave, but I’m not a big enough volume seller to justify the monthly fees for the dedicated checking account. That cost would just add to the eBay fees adding fuel to the fire. What little I do have to sell it will be on this site or CL.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
absolutely an "evil", underhanded, unfriendly, no customer service, way overcharging, anti seller darkweb place. They have a virtual monopoly and are taking advantage of that fact. They act as if you, the seller, work for them and will do exactly what they say, and the customer is ALWAYS right, refunding even before consulting the seller as they have control of the seller's bank account (as jeff said). Makes me absolutely SICK to have to deal with these people
StarBear
QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ May 22 2021, 10:46 AM) *

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ May 21 2021, 08:33 PM) *

--DD

That’s the right workaround for it Dave, but I’m not a big enough volume seller to justify the monthly fees for the dedicated checking account. That cost would just add to the eBay fees adding fuel to the fire. What little I do have to sell it will be on this site or CL.

agree.gif
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ May 22 2021, 07:53 AM) *

absolutely an "evil", underhanded, unfriendly, no customer service, way overcharging, anti seller darkweb place. They have a virtual monopoly and are taking advantage of that fact. They act as if you, the seller, work for them and will do exactly what they say, and the customer is ALWAYS right, refunding even before consulting the seller as they have control of the seller's bank account (as jeff said). Makes me absolutely SICK to have to deal with these people

Well put George !...and what manufacturer would use a Sales Platform (like eBay), which allows counterfeiters to sell reverse-engineered (stolen intellectual property) products alongside the Real Deal ?? idea.gif
rhodyguy
eBay, PP...all part of the phantom economy.
914werke
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ May 22 2021, 07:53 AM) *
They act as if you, the seller, work for them and will do exactly what they say, and the customer (buyer) is ALWAYS right, refunding even before consulting the seller as they have control of the seller's bank account (as jeff said). Makes me absolutely SICK to have to deal with these people

Im in agreement, but if you want global exposure there are few options.
As was said prior, seller's that make the choice to list on eveilbay just jack up their prices to cover the EXORBITANT fees.
I was ready to play but the straw that broke this camels back is when they FORCE you to use PayPal even though I have my own payment processor. finger.gif
euro911
I haven't sold much on 3bay in several years, and I don't purchase much, as most of the listings show exorbitant shipping prices.

I contacted a seller of an item asking where he got the shipping price, and he replied "that's what 3bay indicated it would be" screwy.gif

Both 3bay and paypal charge their X % on top of the sale price as well as the shipping cost.

sheeplove.gif
90quattrocoupe
I kind of like Paypal. I figure the fee cost in.
I like the convenience of being able to pay both USPS and UPS from the same account as the people pay me with.

Ebay, I use for research when looking for a part for a car. Then I find either the company that is selling it on Ebay or another vendor selling for less.j

Greg W.
mb911
I am done with ebay as of 2021. The new policy changes did it for me.
Front yard mechanic
1620.00 on a 7000 motorcycle and they hold the money for 6 weeks till the transport delivers stromberg.gif they don't call them evil bay for nothing. The bottom line is mark up your listings to cover this stromberg.gif
partwerks
Any other decent places to sell, besides Ebay? Besides Craigslist, and FB marketplace.
Steve
QUOTE(90quattrocoupe @ May 22 2021, 07:25 PM) *

I kind of like Paypal. I figure the fee cost in.
I like the convenience of being able to pay both USPS and UPS from the same account as the people pay me with.

Ebay, I use for research when looking for a part for a car. Then I find either the company that is selling it on Ebay or another vendor selling for less.j

Greg W.

I do the same thing. Ebay must know that companies use eBay to advertise there products with a high reserve or sales price. LA Dismantlers advertise on there web site to buy there ebay items direct from them to save on sales tax. Are used parts tax exempt?
76-914
QUOTE(partwerks @ May 29 2021, 02:30 PM) *

Any other decent places to sell, besides Ebay? Besides Craigslist, and FB marketplace.

When selling nice to very nice 914 parts I've been pleased with my results selling 914 parts on FB Marketplace. There is a FB Marketplace devoted to 914 parts. I reach a specific & much larger audience than the usual places and no one tries to beat me down on price. JMHO. beerchug.gif
913B
QUOTE(partwerks @ May 29 2021, 01:30 PM) *

OfferUp
Amphicar770
QUOTE(partwerks @ May 29 2021, 04:30 PM) *

Mercari seems to be another up and comer with much saner fee schedules.
pete000
You can list your stuff for sale on Ebay and make a comment to have the buyer contact you directly and then you can arrange to sell them the item outside of ebay with a few little tricks. Then you get the coverage and huge audience from eBay and not have to deal with their stupid greedy fees.

I have not had time to list anything since they changed the payment plan. Not sure I like the idea of linking it directly to my bank. Would have to probably set up a seperate account just for that.
914werke
QUOTE(76-914 @ May 29 2021, 04:38 PM) *

When selling nice to very nice 914 parts I've been pleased with my results selling 914 parts on FB Marketplace. There is a FB Marketplace devoted to 914 parts. I reach a specific & much larger audience than the usual places and no one tries to beat me down on price. JMHO. beerchug.gif
IDK dry.gif Ive had the opposite experiance. FB Just plain SUCKS stirthepot.gif
jmitro
QUOTE(pete000 @ May 29 2021, 09:03 PM) *

You can list your stuff for sale on Ebay and make a comment to have the buyer contact you directly and then you can arrange to sell them the item outside of ebay with a few little tricks. Then you get the coverage and huge audience from eBay and not have to deal with their stupid greedy fees.

I'm pretty sure that would get you banned from ebay. And trying to sell items with no feedback as a new registered member (assuming one sets up a new account after being banned) isn't likely to be successful.

I never sell anything on ebay, but find it helpful for lots of small used car parts I need quickly
partwerks
QUOTE(pete000 @ May 29 2021, 06:03 PM) *

I have not had time to list anything since they changed the payment plan. Not sure I like the idea of linking it directly to my bank. Would have to probably set up a seperate account just for that.

A few times I've had a customer contact me after the auction ends, and still sold the item, but off the hook from any charges. That's been about three years ago.

Not sure now how that would work with paying sales tax on buyer's end?
I know you can't put contact information in.
914 RZ-1
I sold some lathe change gears to someone and he claimed never to have received them. He didn't even contact me first, just filed a report, which was suspicious to me. I had tracking and signing info that says he did get them.
Ebay paid me and apparently refunded him after looking at out back and forth message exchange. As a seller, that was a good experience. The amount was around $130.
I do not care for the exorbitant fees and use Ebay less than I would other wise. However, I feel like I'm still a little ahead because of my experience with the missing change gears.

It has become just another online store for businesses and Chinese resellers. I try to buy direct from the actual manufacturer. I also use CL and FB Marketplace, or someplace more targeted, like t his site for 914 parts.

The way to change this is not use Ebay. I bought something on Bonanza and it went well.
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ May 22 2021, 07:46 AM) *
...I’m not a big enough volume seller to justify the monthly fees for the dedicated checking account.

If you have to pay fees for a checking account that's attached to your main account, you're at the wrong bank!

I set up mine at my credit union years ago, no fees.

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.